Chapter Twenty-Eight

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

They get married in the spring, a time of revival and new beginnings. It seemed fitting to Kihyun for them to have it at this time, because of the night Hoseok had saved his life. Really, it was that night, for him, when everything between them began. Minhyuk is Hoseok’s best man, and Hyunwoo is more than happy to fill the title for Kihyun. It’s a small ceremony, with only their close friends and family there to witness it. Neither can stop smiling for months after the ceremony, happiness coursing through their veins at every breath they take.

 

It isn’t until years later, after Hyunwoo and Minhyuk have successfully had two wonderful children by way of surrogacy, that the couple begins discussing having a child of their own. Kihyun has put it off much longer than he had intended, hesitant about the notion.

“You’ve always said you wanted kids, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok says as they sit on the couch, watching TV after dinner. Kihyun in a tired breath through his teeth. He hadn’t wanted to discuss this again today, but Hoseok just won’t drop it. He can’t blame his husband, though. Having a family has always been something Kihyun wanted, but for the past few months it just hasn’t seemed worth the hassle.

“Hyung,” Kihyun sighs, remembering what his counselor had said might be the cause, “I don’t think my medication is working anymore…” Hoseok physically stiffens at this, his mood instantly shifting. “It’s just that sometimes everything seems too much trouble. Sometimes I feel so empty inside that I don’t see why I should go on doing anything.”

“Have you spoken to—?”

“I have,” Kihyun answers, already knowing Hoseok’s question, “and she thinks it’s the medication, too. She suggested I go off it for a while, to at least see if it helps.” Hoseok hesitates in responding, watching as his husband rubs at his eyes tiredly. “I want to have a kid, Hoseok, I do,” Kihyun whispers, “but I can’t, won’t, bring a child into this mess.”

“Okay, yeobo,” Hoseok says, leaning forward to rub soothing circles into Kihyun’s back. Kihyun melts into the touch, humming contentedly. “If she thinks it’s okay, and if you want to try, then I’ll support you.”

Kihyun turns to Hoseok with a grateful smile, reaching for Hoseok’s other hand to place a kiss against his palm. Hoseok returns the smile, pulling Kihyun against his chest. The younger snuggles against him, and they share a sigh.

It’ll be alright, Hoseok tells himself. Kihyunnie was doing fine before he even went on medication in the first place. I’m sure he’ll be able to handle it without the pills… He absentmindedly tightens his grip on the love of his life, subconsciously daring any stupid depression to try and get between them. He’s enough to make Kihyun see reason, if anything happens. He saved Kihyun from the edge, and he’ll do it another hundred times if it means Kihyun can live how he wants.

“I love you, Hoseok-ah,” Kihyun mumbles under his breath, already sounding half-asleep. Hoseok chuckles, bending his head forward to place a kiss against Kihyun’s hair.

“I love you, too, my Kihyunnie.”