Chapter Fourteen

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

Hoseok looks over at the bathroom door, frowning at how long Kihyun seems to be taking in the bath. He glances at his phone for the nth time, exasperation filling him at seeing it’s only been ten minutes since he heard the water shut off. He sighs, shaking his head at his own paranoia as he tries to turn his thoughts to other things. However, he can’t quite manage it. He feels as if something’s about to happen, or rather, is happening just on the other side of the door.

He stands, biting back a groan at himself as he gives into his worries. He knocks on the door, calling Kihyun’s name. When there’s no answer, he tries again.

“Kihyunnie?” Hoseok asks, doing his best to sound lighthearted. “Remember those three giant glasses of water I drank at dinner? Well, my bladder does.” He pauses, trying his best for a nonchalant chuckle. “Do you mind if I come in and take care of that? I would wait, but it’s really something that can’t be put off…”

Hoseok waits for a reply to his nervous tone, but nothing comes. At the silence, Hoseok knocks again, this time a bit more urgently.

“Yah!” he calls, thinking sounding authoritative might get a response. “Kihyun-ah! Don’t sit in there and ignore your hyung.” The anxious feeling he began to feel moments before grows, and he knocks for a third time.

“Kihyun, please answer,” he says, his voice coming out much more whiney than intended. He waits a moment more for something, anything, but there’s nothing. He tries the doorknob, and is surprised to find it locked. When did Kihyun lock it? Why would Kihyun lock it?

Hyung

Hoseok pauses, swearing he’s just heard Kihyun’s voice. But, he swears he still hasn’t heard anything from the other side of the door…

A sense of dread pulls at Hoseok’s heart, though he doesn’t know why, and next thing he knows he’s kicking open the bathroom door. He in a breath at what he sees, Kihyun lying in a tub of scarlet-tinged water, his eyes closed as if he’s sleeping.

He reacts automatically, closing the distance between them in one step. He pulls the younger out of the bathtub, trying to be as gentle as possible in his rush. He sets his friend down on the floor, ripping off his shirt to bandage up his still-bleeding wrists.

“No. Kihyunnie, no.” Hoseok whispers, tears swelling up in his eyes. He parts Kihyun’s lips and leans down, blowing air into the unconscious man’s mouth. He then pulls away, pushing on his chest with punctuated s.

“You’re not dying tonight, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok swears. “I won’t let you.” He then leans forward again, blowing more air into the younger’s open mouth.

 

He repeats the process twice more, his soul plummeting at seeing there’s still no response. He pleads with the younger, begging him to wake up. Tears fall freely now down his cheeks as he works, and he desperately tries again and again.

 

Suddenly, Kihyun’s eyes flutter open. He gasps in air, obviously trying to gain his bearings. Hoseok jumps back surprisedly, having been in the midst of leaning forward to give him more air. Kihyun leans to the side, water spurting from his mouth as coughs wrack his body. Hoseok leans back, heaving air himself, though out of relief. More tears flood his eyes, unable to believe his luck at having not lost Kihyun. He could’ve sworn for a moment he’d been too late.

 

Eventually, the younger’s coughing ceases. He lies still on the bathroom floor, staring up at the ceiling. Hoseok doesn’t bother to try and not stare at him, his emotions in too much of a torment right now for him to try and control himself.

 

They’re both silent for a long time, neither knowing quite what to say. After all, what is there to say after such an experience? Hoseok finally grows weary of the silence and stands, bending down to help Kihyun up. The younger nervously accepts the aid, not quite knowing what to expect from Hoseok.

The older retrieves a towel from the closet and goes to a nearby drawer he knows to be Kihyun’s to retrieve some dry clothes. He then hands it all to the younger, who silently takes it and begins to dry off and change clothes. Hoseok then moves to the kitchen, looking around for something that’d help with his blood sugar. He remembers from when he donated blood the nurse giving him a big cookie and a glass of orange juice. When he asked why, she had explained that’d help him feel better after losing blood. True, what Kihyun just did isn’t really the same thing, but such snacks should have the same effect.

Luckily, he’s able to find just what he’s looking for. He returns to Kihyun’s side, handing him the juice and cookies. Kihyun takes the food wordlessly, and begins to eat and drink. Hoseok sits down beside him, suddenly feeling indescribably exhausted. He wraps an arm around Kihyun and pulls him close, not quite caring in that moment about his torn feelings between being friendly and being romantic. Such things don’t seem to matter as much after the night he’s had.

Kihyun leans into the touch, almost as if trying to apologize for what he’s done. Hoseok merely holds onto him tighter, leaning his head over to rest it atop the younger’s.

 

“I’m scheduling a meeting for you in the morning,” Hoseok says, finally speaking after an hour of sitting there silently. “I’m going to take you to see that counselor I told you about before. I know you said that you can’t, but I’m not giving you an option anymore.” Kihyun finds himself nodding, although his mind can’t quite process what the older is saying. Hoseok sighs, nodding himself before standing to take the dishes to the sink.

Kihyun lies down, following the older with his eyes. Hoseok cleans the dishes and goes to his new bed. He messages the counselor’s personal number, telling her it’s an emergency and that a friend of his has to come in and see her as soon as possible. She, thankfully, immediately responds, telling him to come by first thing in the morning. He snuggles down into the covers, facing Kihyun.

 

The two fall asleep staring at each other, neither uttering a single word.