Chapter Four

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

Kihyun approaches the typical lunch table for this day of the week, already spotting Minhyuk and Hoseok. He sits down across from them, smiling easily to his hyungs.

“Kihyun-ah,” Minhyuk greets, taken aback by the younger’s bright expression. He glances over at Hoseok, who only gives him an I-told-you-so glance before returning his attention to his meal.

“Hi, Minhyuk-ssi,” he answers. He looks around before sitting down, seeming hesitant. “Do… Do you know if Hyunwoo-hyung is coming by today? I need to talk to him.” Minhyuk shrugs, doing his best to seem nonchalant despite his excitement at this turn of events.

“He was gone before I woke up this morning,” Minhyuk replies. “I’m sure he is, though. There’s no way he’s missing lunch.” Hoseok and Minhyuk share a chuckle at the comment, knowing well the truth of it. Because of Hyunwoo’s participation in the university’s swimming team, he’s always hungry.

As if on cue, Hyunwoo appears on the horizon, carrying a bag of food. His steps falter at seeing Kihyun sitting there waiting for him. He hadn’t expected to see Kihyun until later that night. Usually, they would avoid each other in public after a fight until they had a chance to speak privately.

“Hyung,” Kihyun says as he approaches, doing his best to keep his smile despite his nerves, “could we talk?” Hyunwoo nods, blushing at the younger’s gentle tone. It’s been a while since he had spoken to him in such a way. Kihyun stands from his seat and leads the older a few feet away, out of earshot of their curious friends. Both are silent for a moment, neither quite knowing how to begin the conversation.

“I’m sorry, hyung,” Kihyun finally says, his gaze lingering on his shoes. “It’s impossible to tell you how sorry I am about how I’ve treated you lately. You didn’t deserve it, and never will.” He pauses a moment, hating himself for saying what comes next. “If you want to break up because of it, I couldn’t blame you at all…”

“Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo says softly, shaking his head adamantly. “Of course I don’t want to leave you. I still love you, despite how it’s been lately.”

“You can’t understand how much that means to me,” Kihyun tells him, feeling so happy he could cry. He grasps the older’s hand, lacing his fingers through the other’s. “I promise, from now on things will be different, how they should be.” Hyunwoo smiles, his plump lips curving up into an incredibly cute grin. Kihyun steps forward to hug him, a gesture Hyunwoo is delighted to return.

 

“I guess they’ve officially made up,” Minhyuk observes, watching the couple in the distance. Hoseok glances up from his ramyeon, nodding at seeing the couple’s embrace.

“Guess so,” he says. He then resumes his slurping, eager to finish his lunch. Minhyuk glances over at him admiringly.

“You’re a miracle-worker, after all,” he says. “I gotta say, I’m surprised. By the way things were going, I was sure those two were done for. I’m glad I was wrong, though.” Hoseok nods, drinking the remaining broth in the disposable bowl.

“I’m going to the dorm,” Hoseok tells Minhyuk as he stands. “I’ve got a few chapters to read before my next class.” Minhyuk nods, watching the older’s retreating back suspiciously. Despite the happy turn of events, he didn’t seem all that thrilled.

 

Hoseok sits cross-legged on his bed, staring at the book in his lap. He doesn’t know how long he’s been staring at the same page, trying to focus but unable to.

It isn’t that he’s unhappy with the resolution of his two friends. On the contrary, he’s indescribably happy with Kihyun figuring out whatever was bothering him and resolving it. If it had somehow been something he said that had helped his friend, then all the better. So, why is it that he can’t seem to turn his thoughts away from Hyunwoo and Kihyun’s loving embrace from before…

Surely he couldn’t be jealous…, right?

He shakes his head, running his hands through his hair in aggravation. He glances at the clock, noticing it’s time for him to leave for class. Officially giving up, he gathers his things and leaves, hoping to leave these confusing thoughts behind.

 

“Hyung,” Kihyun calls, knocking on the bathroom door. “Dinner’s ready!” He twirls the rock around in his hand, nodding as he hears the shower water being shut off.

“I’ll be there in a minute, Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo mumbles on the other side. Kihyun hums in acknowledgment, moving to set out the food he’s prepared. He drops the rock in his pocket, unable to keep the smile from his face. He hadn’t heard the voice since he had visited the river that morning. He couldn’t remember the last time he had gone through a whole day without it telling him how useless he is, and to be honest he doesn’t care. All he cares about is that it’s finally stopped. Now he can focus on fixing things with Hyunwoo.

The two sit down to dinner and begin to eat after Hyunwoo exits the bathroom, his skin slightly flushed from the hot water. Neither speak, Hyunwoo too busy eating to do so and Kihyun too busy watching him to bother trying.

 

Near the end of the meal, the younger notices a piece of seaweed hanging from his boyfriend’s bottom lip from the soup he made. Kihyun chuckles, reaching up gently to pluck it off. He pauses a moment, quirking up a brow.

“You always eat so messily, hyung,” Kihyun comments, shaking his head before popping the seaweed into his mouth. He shakes his head amusedly, resting his head on the older’s broad shoulder and leaning into his side. Hyunwoo sighs, holding the younger close to him.

“Kihyun-ah,” Hyunwoo murmurs against the younger’s hair, “I love you so much.” Kihyun hums agreeingly, knowing the older will understand. He’s suddenly very tired, his lack of sleep from the night before, and many others for that matter, catching up with him. He snuggles even closer, yawning widely. Hyunwoo notices this, and silently pulls the younger into his arms. He gently sets Kihyun in his bed, earning mumbled protests from him. Hyunwoo only tucks him into bed, pressing a kiss to his forehead before turning to gather the dishes. After cleaning up he turns off the light and goes to bed, the Buddha-like smile on his face never leaving him.