Chapter Twenty-One

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

Kihyun walks back to his dorm, hands shoved into his pockets and head bent down in thought. Minhyuk’s assumption from earlier swims around in his mind.

“Hoseok hasn’t made a move yet, has he?”

Does Hoseok want to make a move? Is he just lying in wait until he finally thinks Kihyun would be open to a relationship with him? Kihyun sighs, shaking his head. Could that be why Hoseok has been so supportive through all this? Is he only doing it to get through Kihyun’s defenses?

Of course not, Kihyun quickly tells himself. Hoseok-ah is way too pure for that kind of devious tactic…

He needs to talk to Hoseok about all this. He needs to clear the air between the two, to make things clear for them. His heart hurts at the idea of breaking down whatever hopes Hoseok might have concerning a future between them, but it has to be done. It’s better for the older to be released now from thoughts like those as soon as possible.

 

The brunette breathes deeply as he enters the dorm, unable to keep himself from smiling as Hoseok’s cologne washes over him. Hoseok loves a bunch of different smells, resulting in the dorm being soaked in a plethora of aromas that somehow all go together surprisingly well. There’s something comforting about it, but Kihyun can’t quite tell what. He goes to lie down, snuggling close to his pillow and realizes. Hoseok’s personal smell surrounds him, all the fragrances being ones that cover the older on a daily basis, and Kihyun feels safe and at ease by it all.

“Kihyunnie~,” a singsong voice greets. Kihyun glances up to see Hoseok working away in the kitchen. He chuckles, raising a suspicious brow at this.

“What’re you doing there, Hoseok-ah?” he asks, not bothering to hide the surprise in his voice.

“I can cook, too, you know,” Hoseok says defensively. “Who do you think took care of Minhyuk and me most of the time when I lived with him? Minhyukkie was always too lazy to cook, though he claims he can.” Kihyun chuckles, and Hoseok glances over his shoulder at the younger to shoot him an adoring smile. This gives Kihyun pause, his mind darting back to what Minhyuk had said earlier. He needs to clear things up with Hoseok, whether Minhyuk’s information had been wrong or not. “I figured since you’re spending tonight packing, I’d take care of things. You know, since I’m not going anywhere I might as well.” Kihyun hums, sitting up as he pats his lips anxiously as he tries to figure out how to word this.

“I actually spoke to Minhyuk-ah today,” he tells his roommate. Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, and tells him to continue. “He said something pretty surprising. He told me he wants to ask Hyunwoo out, and was kind of asking for my blessing.” He pauses hesitantly before adding with a nervous chuckle, “He thought this a good time to ask because he thought that you and I have become an item…” He watches the older for a reaction. Hoseok hums again, though his broad shoulders have become noticeably stiffer. He’s silent for some time, as if trying to think of what to say. Kihyun sighs, though, the silence being all the confirmation he needs.

“Th-Th-That’s Minhyuk-ah for you,” Hoseok says at last, adding in a chuckle. “Just going off and assuming things… What’re we gonna do with him?” Kihyun gets up from his bed and joins Hoseok’s side, watching his face as he speaks.

“Hyung,” he says gently, reaching out to hold onto Hoseok’s arm to get him to pause in his work. Hoseok glances over at Kihyun, his tongue flicking out to moisten his lips. “If you have feelings for me, if you want to be with me like that, I—”

“Kihyun-ah,” Hoseok interrupts, a hand leaving the counter to rest atop Kihyun’s, “all I want is for you to get better, to be happy like you used to be. That’s all I care about. I know that the last thing you need right now is to even consider starting a new relationship, especially after the one you just got out of. So, please, just forget Minhyuk said anything. It’d add unnecessary stress into all that you’re already going through, otherwise.” He smiles down at the younger, a comforting light filling his eyes.

Kihyun smiles up at Hoseok, touched by his sincerity. He nods, and can’t hold himself back from leaning into the older’s side. He breathes in the older’s scent, nuzzling closer without realizing. Hoseok wraps an arm around him, holding him impossibly close.

It feels as if the two stand there for an eternity, wrapped up in their own bubble where nothing matters but this moment. Despite Kihyun’s innocent intent for hugging his hyung, it’s quickly become something more. The air is relaxed, but soon fills with underlying tension. Kihyun feels as if he should just pull away and give the older some space to work, to maybe actually go start packing his bags to head home for the holiday, but he can’t bring himself to.

Hoseok manages to pull away from the younger man. His eyes meet Kihyun’s, the beautiful orbs seeming to somehow dance. They lean their heads towards each other instinctively. Kihyun’s heartbeat begins to race in his chest, sounding so loud in his ears he’s sure Hoseok can hear it as well. Hoseok’s gaze darts down nervously towards Kihyun’s lips, his own anxiously.

Finally, a small, breathy chuckle escapes Hoseok. He presses his forehead against Kihyun’s. He then moves away, sighing defeatedly as he casually tries to put some distance between him and the shorter. Kihyun watches as the older busies himself, undeniably disappointed despite himself. He shakes his head at himself, and takes a deep breath before moving away to return to his bed. He begins pulling out a couple of bags and going through his clothes, sorting his things into what he can go ahead and pack and what he has to either wash or keep out until the day he leaves because of them being daily items.

 

The two work in silence until dinner is ready. Hoseok tells Kihyun to stop what he’s doing, and brings their food into the living room. They sit down across from each other, and Hoseok struggles to come up with a topic as the younger wordlessly begins to eat. He can’t stop replaying the near-kiss in his head. He had been so close to crossing that line. He had barely managed to pull back in time.

His phone suddenly goes off, surprising the both of them. He leans away to retrieve it, and can’t help but chuckle at the worried text from Minhyuk displayed on the lock screen. He puts down his utensils to reply to the younger, assuring him that everything is alright. He then puts it down and continues eating, glancing up at Kihyun.

Their eyes meet, but the gaze is only held for a moment before Kihyun looks away sheepishly.

Hoseok reaches over and squeezes Kihyun’s knee, giving him a consoling grin. Hoseok can be awkward about what happened between them later. For now, he has to put Kihyun at ease.

“So,” Hoseok says, pulling away to get another bite of food, “how was your session today?”

“Alright,” Kihyun answers almost immediately, obviously glad to have something to talk about. “We didn’t really talk about anything serious, mainly just about the upcoming holiday.” Hoseok hums, nodding as he stuffs his face. The younger pauses before adding, “You know, you shouldn’t have cooked tonight. Now that I know you can cook like this, I’m going to make you take over cooking duties a lot more.”

Hoseok laughs with renewed gusto at this, his mouth falling open as an almost musical laugh escapes him.

“I wasn’t going to tell you this,” Hoseok says, “but this is actually only one of three things I can make.” Kihyun leans back, laughing his high-pitched, hyena-like giggle that Hoseok has come to absolutely love.

“Of course you say that now, hyung,” Kihyun replies, plucking up a grain of rice from his bowl and throwing it at the older.

“Yah!” Hoseok complains playfully. “Respect your hyung!” He picks up a piece of his own rice and throws it at Kihyun, who’s only giggling again. Hoseok smiles fondly at the sight, unbelievably glad to have broken the ice.