Chapter 2: Hoseok

The Unders (BTS FanFic)

"!" I yelled in annoyance. I could hear knocks from outside my door, which I had purposely kept locked. Those Highers thought it would be fun to kill my parents for - how did they put it - disturbing our society's peace. I'll make sure there's more than that.

Motherers.

They will pay for this.

"Hoseok, I can hear you muttering in there! Don't be stupid, okay?" It was my sister. I could tell from her voice. I sighed and opened the door. I couldn't deny that she knew how it felt. Our parents gone, over one harsh summer.

I could feel her staring at me, while I preferred staring at the floor. She pulled me into a tight hug and I could hear her cracking, tears spilling out of her eyes and onto my shoulder, probably along with some snot. I rubbed her back as she hiccupped back her tears; she was trying so hard to prove that she was strong. "Chaeyoung, we just need to stay calm," I reassured her.

"Right. Cool, calm, relaxed," She reeled off. My mouth twitched into a small smile. One of her little sayings she repeated every so often. "You need to address everyone. You're next in. You're our new leader," Chaeyoung gave my arm a punch. "Compose yourself, Hoseok,"

I nodded and took three very deep breaths.

It was dinner, and crowded. The tables were squished and full like an overflowing glass of water. Our surroundings were dim, lit only by the scarce oil lamps we had managed to scavenge, or steal from Higher. We had spies stationed everywhere, most in ordinary work places, but some even in the residential areas. Spying was the dangerous occupation though, and few took it up, especially after Chaeyoung found one of our own shaking and unconscious on an empty street earlier this month. They had gotten better now, but were just quieter than before.

This was our place; Under. Not pleasant in the slightest to anyone who had experienced the grandeur of Higher life, but to us, it was home. And it would always be better than Purgatory.

I raised up my cup and hit it against the wall in a pattern of three. The others followed the sequence diligently and I grinned seeing our unity. "ALRIGHT!" I shouted, stifling a chuckle, before seriousness took over me.

"We have one thing to do. Up until now it's all been a game. But as of tomorrow, it's going to be the real thing. And if you want to know how real, I'll tell you. It's my guess that when we begin this, a lot of you guys won't be coming back. But there's no sense in complaining about that, right? Cause Higher never loved you anyway. And besides, you all volunteered to be here, right? That's more than I - or Chaeyoung - ever did," I tugged my sister to my side, and she kept her head down.

"The cruel, unnecessary electrocution of our parents, your leaders, the Jungs, will not go unnoticed. We will have our revenge, and those motherers will pay for this," I finished, receiving an applause. They continued eating and drinking. There was a lot more drinking from what I could see. My grip on Chaeyoung was tighter than I had thought. She shook me off with a small glare, and walked over to Taehyung.

It was about time those two spoke. The way he approached me yesterday was commendable, but a little weird. I didn't think he'd have the balls to do it. I don't think I can ever forget his sheepish expression.

"Hyung? Can I talk to you for a moment?" Taehyung waltzed in without knocking. He was my second in command after all. He would be in charge next if I died.

"What do you want?" I didn't even bother to look up at him. I had been too busy arranging the escape plans for my parents. Except we didn't end up needing them.

"Huh?"

"You never call me hyung unless there's something you want. Am I right?" I finally turned to face him, my eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, but I'll promise to use it from now on - hyung," He smiled.

"So, what is it Tae?" I crossed my arms impatiently.

"Umm," He began wringing his hands, and his eyes wavered before he spoke again, "You know I care for Chaeyoung... a lot, and I know this isn't a great time for me to ask, and I would've asked your parents if they were here, really, but I just love her so much. And, I want to ask for your permission to marry her," He looked me straight in the eye, full of hope, and I already knew he was telling the truth. I just didn't know how Chaeyoung felt. Whenever I brought up her relationship with Taehyung, she would dismiss it immediately. That didn't seem like a good sign.

"I can't speak for my parents, but you have my permission for sure, Tae," I nodded. I didn't have the heart to tell him no. It seemed as though he had been holding his breath and he let out a big sigh of relief. He ran up and hugged me, and I stumbled back at the sudden hug attack.

"Thank you so, so much Hobi-hyung!! You're really the best! I promise that I'll always look after her," He stood back quickly, embarrassed, before bowing and exiting my office.

I rolled my eyes as I remembered his ridiculously low bow from the other day. I glanced over to the pair and I couldn't tell what they were saying, but I knew both of them would be able to sort things out without my input.