Chapter 6

The Seven Year Itch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We waited anxiously for Taekwoon to return and when the door flung open to reveal his tall, lean figure, Wonshik flicked the lights on and we jumped up from behind the table to see him only tilt his head to one side. This guy.

“What’s this?” He asked and then smiled when he spotted me, partially hidden by Hak Yeon.

“Uh… birthday party, you ungrateful idiot,” Hak Yeon said and the rest of us restrained ourselves from laughing. As the rest of the party got along, he occasionally cast glances at me and I smiled each time.

“He seems happy, right?” WonShik asked me, handing me a plate.

“He is. Look at the corner of his eyes.”

“Why can’t he just smile?” He thought out loud.

“Why can’t you be shorter?”

“Why can’t you be taller?”

“Why can’t you sound less like an idiot?”

“Why can’t you walk in a straight in line?” He asked me.

I giggled at that question and he just snorted. “You find it funny when someone insults you?”

“It’s just that I really can’t walk in a straight line,” I said.

“Is that something to be proud of?”

“No, but I can’t help it. I’ve tried, believe me.”

“Hey, what’re you two talking about?” I heard Woon ask in a soft voice.

“Her subconscious and frontal lobe are permanently drunk,” WonShik said and I just giggled.

“Actually, I think it’s on crack,” I told him.

“Agreed. I’ll just get something to eat,” he said, smoothly excusing himself from the conversation.

“This is what you were here for?” He asked me, softly.

“Yes.”

“So, you lied.”

“No, I told you I was with Hak Yeon and he was definitely one of the people who were here.”

Taek chuckled. “OK.”

“Did you like the cake? I thought you’d like coffee flavor the best so...”

“I loved it, just like I love you,” he murmured and bent down to place a soft kiss on my lips. I pulled away before anyone noticed us and he grinned. “You still can’t say it.”

“Happy Birthday, Woon-ah. See you tomorrow.”

“I’ll walk you back...”

“It’s okay. I have to go out through that tiny thing anyway since it’s so late.”

“Just stay over, noona,” Jaehwan suggested. “I can stay with a friend...”

“No,” I murmured, awkwardly. “It’s fine. I need to go, anyway. Take care.”

Taekwoon followed me out, taking my hand. “They don’t know.”

“I can tell.”

 

 

“So, everyone thinks that we should get married soon,” Taekwoon said, putting the last of the picture frames on the cabinet below the TV.

“I know… my mom thinks we’re about to get married.”

“Your dad?”

“Oh, he is just happy that I’ve found someone who doesn’t think that there’s a demon sitting inside my body that keeps knocking me over.”

“I’m not opposed to the idea of marrying you. I mean… it’s been seven years. We’ve put in our time...”

“Taekwoon, it’s seriously… so different from what our life is right now. We should first get through living together and then, think about marriage. It’s a very big deal and...”

“I know. Don’t worry about it, I’m not proposing… yet.”

“That’s very comforting...”

He smiled and looked back at the empty box.

 

 

Jaehwan and I usually hung out between classes and it was oddly calming to hangout with him. He was usually upbeat and wasn’t the type to mock you for the little things that you would fret about. He was understanding and kind and calm and those were all the things that I wasn’t.

The funny part, however, was that Wonshik seemed… disapproving of our friendship. It didn’t make much sense and I didn’t want to talk to Wonshik about it. There was this odd vibe that he always gave off whenever Jaehwan and I were together.

“Should I just go up there and ask her?”

“Does she know you exist?”

“Yeah, I think so… I mean, we often wave at each other or say hi. We even partnered on a few projects and she was fun and all.”

“Do you even like her?”

“I don’t like her. I just like her.”

“Sure. That made complete sense. Anyway, just go ask her. If she says no, we’ll find you someone else. If she says yes, I’ll start planning your wedding.”

“I regret talking to you sometimes,” he said, shaking h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter