Chapter 10

The Seven Year Itch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You should just say no to the wedding,” Joon said as put the dress into his car.

“I promised her. Okay? I don’t break promises.”

“That’s true. Anyway, has he texted you at all?”

“Yeah, he did text me. A lot. I just haven’t replied.”

“Why not?”                                        

“It’s over, Joon. I spent seven years of my life with the perfect guy and I screwed it up. And, it’s literally all my fault.”

He drove me to the venue without another word. He disagreed with me and I knew that he would always disagree if I blamed myself but I knew that this time, I was in the wrong.

“I’ll see you tonight,” I told him, after taking everything I needed.

“I hope you don’t,” he muttered and then drove off.

Brothers.

I walked into the area designated as the dressing room and recognized almost everyone in room. I walked to over to the bride’s corner to see her scrolling through her phone. She hadn’t started dressing up, yet but she looked beautiful.

“Hey,” I said, and she looked up at me.

“Ugh, where have you been? I was so stressed. Taek does nothing to ease it. He’s really bad at this problem solving business. I was so sure that you would quit because you didn’t even call even though he said that you were “too busy”. I should have just called you.”

“You’re stressing yourself out. I’m here now. What do you need?” I asked her.

“Just go find Taek, okay? Take the list from him and then help him find everything. He’s in the booth.”

I nodded and set my dress down by the corner. The booth was on the other side of the venue. I had been here a few times. I knew the place well enough to locate the booth and then manage to get my hands on the tallest person present.

“Taek,” I said. And, he turned around. “Come on, give me the list.”

“Where have you been?” He asked me, quietly.

“Joon lost something and… well, I got delayed by 30 minutes. Just give me the list. If you don’t feel like doing it, I’m sure I can trip and fall and misbalance myself to the end.”

“I’ll help,” he said and handed me the list.

A lot of the stuff had already been covered the day before by me. I had sustained multiple injuries whilst going through this bridesmaid business. I had no idea why she wanted to do this the Western way. They weren’t even going to have a Wedding photoshoot.

“Okay, so… the cake people are here early and you just need to redirect them to the main hall,” I told Sung Hyun. “And, when you’re done, can you please go take a shower?”

“Shut up! I showered today,” he said.

“Take another, you can’t be clean enough.”

“You’re nicer when you’re not a bridesmaid,” he muttered and began to walk towards the bakers.

He was right but I needed to get things done. The only time I felt normal or barely confident was when I was on the way to finishing a project and this definitely felt like one of those times.

After the cake, I only had the bride to get dressed and of course, myself and the other bridesmaids and the Man of Honour.

“So, where’s your tux?” I asked Taek.

“It’s in the locker, with your dress,” he said.

“Right, so I brought that. Where are your shoes?”

“Wherever yours are…”

“So, I brought those too. Awesome, get ready for me, handsome. We have a couple to get married.”

“Babe,” he said.

“Yeah?”

“You know… I love you right,” he said, sitting down on the chair in front of me.

“Taek… we don’t have time for this,” I told him.

“You don’t have time for me?”

“I love you, Taekwoon. But, maybe…”

“No, look, this whole break thing was stupid. I was being an egomaniac, okay? I love you so much and if I don’t have you to spend my life with…? Then, I don’t have anyone. You’re… perfect. God, I love you because you’re clumsy and weird and you’re… also weirdly really confident in certain roles. You have all these sides, and I just… I can’t get over you. I fall in love with you every day. Sounds like a movie dialogue but they got this one thing right. They’re right… that when you find the right person, nothing feels like a burden. Nothing feels like problem, nothing feels like it truly could faze you. And, I realized that when you said those words.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, interrupting him. “You were angry, weren’t you?”

“That’s what I mean. I was angry because you were right. I’ve become someone who needs you and who is needed by you. I am someone who wants you so much, I’ve changed any habit that wouldn’t compliment you. You have done the same thing for me and you can’t deny it. We’re different people than we used to be. Now, we’re fighting because we can’t accept that we’ve become so close, that we’re here. Look, we don’t need to marry. Marriage means nothing more to me than a piece of paper. We’re basically married right now and I’m okay with that. I just… want this.”

“If you ask her right now, I promise, she’ll say yes,” I heard Taek’s sister whisper and I turned around to find her standing at doorway of the changing room.

“Hey,” I said, moving away from Taek.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter