Chapter 14

The Seven Year Itch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dumbness is a surprise you often have to bear with. It’s a surprise I have to bear with on a regular basis. You don’t realize exactly how dumb you are until someone ten times as intelligent as you comes along and makes you realize that. So, you stare at this person, wishing them dead and wishing they would never even have been born. But, it’s tough to go back twenty seven years and make their parents stop that one fateful night when they were conceived.

Anyway, that was what my new boss was like to me. He stood there and made us all feel extremely dumb in the nicest way possible. We hated him for it but we also wanted to be like him. But we hated him still, more for his humility. I guess, this hatred made us more human.

“So, I’d just like for you to do what you used to, because, for now, I’m very pleased with your work. However, I must warn you that we have a potential collaboration with a new company in a few days. It’s a stockbroking company and while they never need any pushing, at all, we’re going to rework their site and make it more secure. We’ll need to collaborate with their security team, as well.”

“Which firm is this?” I asked him.

“Son, Sung and So,” he said.

“Isn’t their security firm Park and Jo?” Jae piped up from next to me.

“Yes, that’s right. How’d you know that?”

“Well, I have a few friends in that firm, is all,” he said.

“Alright, I hope I have briefed you all well enough. Let’s meet tomorrow,” he said. And, off we went to our cubicles, to retrieve our things and be off for the day. I always had to clean up my cubicle because we had to share it with the people from one other shift until their wing was done.

I walked out and Taekwoon was standing outside, looking down at his phone. I walked up next to him and stood for a few minutes before he actually noticed I was there. And, yes, I mean minutes.

“So, what you’re telling me is that you’re just going to stand there and make me feel bad?”

“Yes, of course, what else could I possibly do?”

He just rolled his eyes and, we got into the car before driving home.

-

“So, I screamed at the interviewer and said that he had no vision about what Korea could be like and I don’t even know why we started to talk about Politics. I work with graphic design. How did this happen?” I moaned as I heard a soft giggle from Taek and snapped my head up to look at him. “Why are you laughing?”

“I just… I can’t believe you actually screamed at an unknown person.”

“Listen to me, I can be really assertive if I want to, okay...”

“I believe you,” he interrupted me. “However, what I do not believe is that you would ever scream at an unknown human being. Anyway, if this one doesn’t pan out, you can come work at my company.”

“Of course, that’s my first choice to work at your company,” I muttered and rolled my eyes. I actually thought his company was amazing but they didn’t do the kind of work that I wanted to. It was mostly about Sec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter