Chapter 12

The Seven Year Itch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fights are inevitable. Most of them are the ones, left over from suppression. I looked up at Taekwoon’s searching, probing, curious eyes. He seemed to asking more questions than he wanted to, which made little sense. But, most of them seeped through his eyes. I shrugged and we looked back at the scene before our eyes.

“I don’t want to be here,” she whisper-screamed and Joon looked at us apologetically. They were fighting about him going on dates with other people when he had sworn to be dating her exclusively. I knew that… I’m not sure how but it was just annoying as hell.

They walked out and the two of us exhaled together. It was such a tense scene. We had no idea why they had begun fighting or why they had stopped. And, it was my brother’s fault. I knew that for damn sure.

“Joon really needs to change…”

“I’ve been telling him that for ages.”

“What do you think is going on?”

“Well, he told her that they were exclusive and then he piped to some girl that… he was single. You know, when they took a break. He never told her about it when they got back together and this girl texted her… to tell her everything.”

“Did he tell you?”

“No…”

“You two are kinda creepy.”

“I know.”

“So, what do you think is going to happen?”

“I don’t know and I frankly do not sympathize with him. He needs to learn how to take responsibility for himself.”

“He’s usually the one taking responsibility for you...”

“I don’t think that applies. He takes care of me physically. I’ve never been as emotionally irresponsible as he has,” I murmured to Taek as he nodded, not really believing me.

I rolled my eyes at him. I couldn’t explain to him what emotional responsibility meant. It probably wouldn’t make sense if I started going off about that. I couldn’t really grasp why Joon had to behave this way.

“Should we...?”

“Yeah, it’s better to leave,” I told him.

“So, you can do that everyone, hm?” He asked me, and grinned playfully. I could only but roll my eyes at that childish expression. It wasn’t like Taek was foreign to me. I just knew what he would want...

We drove back home in silence. Partly because I was thinking of ways to constructively reprimand my ty brother. I did not want to insult him but I also didn’t want to be too easy on him. I looked over at Taek and wondered if he would help me. But, he never did. He believed that some things were best left between family, even though, Joon considered him family as well.

“Are you just going to sit there and stare at me, Yoon Seo?”

“It’s my favorite thing to do, you know that.”

“Of course,” he said, in a teasing tone.

Sometimes I also wondered if this would forever remain my home or that perhaps, things would change. I had no idea, really, of what I wanted but most of the time, I felt like I was overthinking things.

“Well, since dinner didn’t quite go as planned, want me to make you something?” Taek asked me.

“I’m not that hungry,” I told him, before sinking further into the couch.

“Okay, rice and black bean curry, coming right up,” he said and I just groaned. He knew me too well. There was no element of surprise and to be honest, that was good.

I didn’t have to be scared that he would run away when he learned things about me or that I would get freaked out by his good habits. I was sometimes intimidated by him but other than that, there was nothing that truly bugged me.

“A definitive ending,” Taek said, sitting down next to me on the couch. “To a weird day.”

He had brought everything over and I had just been sitting here, daydreaming... or night dreaming... dreaming with my eyes open, or whatever.

“So, you couldn’t wake me from my slumber?” I asked him, sitting up.

“You looked worn out,” he told me. “Plus, I don’t trust you with glass.”

“Hey, that’s... well, it’s fair but still, hurts my feelings.”

“I know it does but that’s the truth. Anyway, Yoon-ah, just eat?”

I smiled and took some food onto my plate, because he was right. I was hungry as hell. I leaned on him as I slowly chewed my way through the meal.

“Want to go for a drive?”

“Nope.”

“Want to go for a walk?”

“Nope.”

“Want to hatch eggs?”

“Nope.”

He laughed and turned to look at me. “What do you want to do?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter