Worst (Best) day ever pt. 2

The Last of Us

We finally arrived at a luxurious-looking restaurant located in the middle of the city. This is one of the most famous restaurants in Seoul, even foreigners recognized them very well. It served varieties of Korean traditional foods and even Western foods. I automatically felt very small the second I got into the restaurant. Well, people around me are either wearing suits, dresses or even if they didn’t wear those, they would be wearing something cool or beautiful. While me, with my uniform, a T-shirt of the shop I was working at, and a black skirt along with my pink coat, looked like someone who couldn’t afford to eat here. Um, maybe I really can’t afford it.

                “Hey, earth to Areum! What were you thinking? We’ve been calling you like hundred times!” Baekhyun pushed my shoulder with his slender index finger.

                “Ah? Ah…nothing. Just I have never been to this kind of restaurant before. Maybe we should find another restaurant, I can’t afford this-“ I was telling the truth. I’ve never been to this kind of restaurant and I thought I would never be able to step into this luxurious place. I came from a very poor family. Not that poor but to eat fancy food, that’s only in our imagination. Being able to eat rice and some side dishes is considered as something that I always felt grateful of. Having three siblings, who were all studying, making us prioritized education more than what’s going to fill our empty tummies today and tomorrow.

                “Nah it’s my treat. Come and sit here.” Sehun pulled my hand softly and instructed me to sit at the table he chose. Far from other people. Well I liked it here. At least I could eat comfortably without having to feel self-conscious…

                “What do you want to eat? Or you still don’t want to eat? You better don’t say it and just stuff your mouth with food. I don’t want to see you fainting again.” Sehun said, focusing at the menu, that he didn’t even look at me.

                “I don’t know what’s nice. I mean I just eat rice-“

                “I will order the lamb chop and army stew for you, is it fine?” Sehun asked.

                “But I don’t think-“

                “Baek, do you think Areum needs to eat more because I think she does. What do you prefer for her to dig in?” He looked at Baekhyun who was frowning while looking for something to eat in the menu.

                “I would prefer bingsu and chicken galbi for her.” Baekhyun nodded at me as if he was trying to assure me.

                “Yes, sure. I’m fine with everything then.”

                I looked down as the waiter came. I could feel his disgusted eyes raking my figure. I mean, as a waiter, he dressed better then a customer. Which was such a shame.

                After they placed their orders, their eyes came back onto me. ‘Eh, what’s wrong,’ I said internally while secretly touching my shoulder length jet-black hair.

                I decided to lift my head, I couldn’t bear the weight of their stares. “W-why? Do I look that bad?”

                “Well, you look pretty-uhm-you look normal." Sehun stuttered.

                “Then why are you looking at me like that? As if I had grown an eye on my forehead.” I said, frowning, still curious of what they actually wanted.

                “If you had three eyes, you still look pretty, right, Sehun?” Baekhyun smirked, looking directly at Sehun. Shockingly, he blushed, his fair skin starting to become pink-tinted. My cheeks became hot as a result from the unexpected compliment, I guess.

                “A-ah no. I’m not that pretty compared to other girls.”

                “Look at you! You’re blushing oh God you’re so cute! My babies are all cute no matter what their races are! I don’t deserve these angels, Sehun!” Baekhyun giggled, his rectangle-shaped smile were clearly shown. I laughed as I remembered the scene in the EXO’s Showtime.

                Now, they looked totally dumbfounded. “Why do you guys look like that,” I whispered, “are we prohibited from laughing here?”

                It’s their turn to laugh. “No, but you laughed so suddenly that we’re shocked. We didn’t say that it’s prohibited to laugh here.” Baekhyun’s face reddened as he kept preventing himself from laughing out loud. “Tell us why did you laugh just now, Areum?”

                “Uh-I suddenly remembered the episode in EXO’s Showtime where everyone insisted that you have a rectangle-shaped smile. It was so obvious when you were giggling. That’s why I laughed.” I tried to not laugh and there I go...I laughed, again, along with Sehun.

                “Okay, enough guys,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. Today he wasn’t wearing any eyeliner so his eyes looked so small that time. “I actually want you to tell us about yourself. All we know are you’re Baek Areum and that’s all.”

                “Do I really have to do that? I mean, maybe this is our first and last encounter since…you know, both of you are idols and there’s me, a little poor girl…well maybe big poor girl-“

                “You are SMALL,” Sehun emphasized the word ‘small’, “go ahead.”

                “Okay I’m small. So the chances for us to meet again is also small, so I don’t think I’ve to tell a lot about myself.”

                “What if I said, the chances for us to meet you again is high because we actually want to be your friends?” Baekhyun said, lifting his eyebrows, waiting for my answers.

                “But-“

                “No buts. We’re friends now. Shake hands.” Baekhyun grabbed my hand and Sehun’s and shook it. “So, what are you waiting for?”

                “Well, this year I’m turning 19 and right now, I’m studying in Sungkyunkwan University…”

                “What?? That university? Wow this girl is brilliant! So stop saying that you’re small. Although you’re physically small, you’re actually big!” Baekhyun almost screamed. Sehun, on the other hand, remain stoic, just like he looked every time in those fansite’s photos.

                “Yeah. I’m currently furthering my studies in Pharmacy. That’s been my dream ever since I was a child. I’m always amused with those medicines and how they work. And because it is one of the high-paying jobs in the world,” I chuckled, “but that’s not all.” I stopped talking.

                “Areum?” Sehun called, looking at me intently.

                “I chose pharmacy as I want to create new medicines for my mom. Mom’s suffering from an illness even the doctors can’t find the answers to it. They said, they never found this kind of illness before. They said, mom’s not going to live long, if there’s no cure. So that’s why-I-I chose this. I’m working to support my mom, siblings and also myself. Studying in a university for such an expensive course…I don’t want to burden my mom anymore. Enough of all the hard works of raising me up till I become the person I am now.” I sobbed.

                “Oh I’m sorry Areum.” Baekhyun reached into his pocket and took out a silk handkerchief with initial B.B.H sewn on it.

                “It’s okay. I need someone to talk to anyways.” I smiled, though I was sure it barely looked like that.

                “What about your dad?” Baekhyun asked, in a softer voice.

                “He died. In an accident. And mom couldn’t work. That’s why we became poor. We used to be an average family but after his death, well, nobody could work that time.”

                “Ah…I think we can help you in furthering your studies. Anytime you need help, you just can give us a call, don’t you think so, Sehun?”

                Sehun, looking like he was thinking deeply, nodded. “Yeah, we can help you.”

                “But you’ve helped me a lot! There’s no need to.” I insisted, my eyes widened.

                “Quick, I’m going to give you my number. Where’s your phone?”

                I reached into my coat’s pocket and my heart started to beat faster. Where is it? Where is my phone? I put it in my coat, I’m certain…

                “What’s wrong?” Sehun asked, a flash of concern was visible.

                “I-I think I lose my phone. But I’m sure I put it into my coat, it must fell somewhere….”

                Sehun sighed. “It’s okay. After this, follow me and I’ll buy you a new phone.”

                “Yah! Why are you both doing so much to me? I’m only a stranger! You don’t have to do this!”

                “Uh-uh. Shut your mouth up.” And the waiter came with trays of food placed on a trolley. Wow, that’s really a lot. I wasn’t kidding at all. Most of them were food that I only saw in the SNS as my friends were all wealthy. Or at least, they had money to eat those. I only had bingsu for once, thanks to Irene. Irene was my only friend, I mean, everyone didn’t want to befriend me since they thought that I was going to use them for money. Well, I ain’t that poor, I am working! Huh, enough with being emotional, Areum…

                “Let’s dig in, Areum. For now, just eat and forget everything. Later, we’ll find ways to help you.” Sehun said, holding his fork and spoon already.

                “Sure.” I grabbed my fork and knife, ready to slice the lamb chop. God, it’s mouth-watering. I cut a little piece of the meat and stuck it in my mouth, only to moan from the heavenly taste. Does food in heaven taste like this? If it is, then I’d fight for this. I continued eating, totally ignoring everyone. Well, I didn’t even realize I was this hungry after all.

SEHUN’S P.O.V

                As soon as she ate the lamb chop, she closed her eyes, totally enjoying the taste of the meat. I smiled, and almost chuckled at her funny expression. And I suddenly remembered what she told us just now. I stopped smiling, thinking about how difficult it is to live that way. I was never grateful, for who I am. I mean, I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. If I want something, I would always get it. Living like this could be very satisfying for some people. But for me, not. It’s just boring to live like this. I think, living in an average family is much better than time.

                When I was young, I woke up every day to see that my parents were already out working. Only I and the maids were left in the freaking big manor. I am the only son so what did I do all day? I would just sit in front of the television and play with my Playstation or Xbox, till it eventually got so boring I started to read a lot of novels then.

                As I got older, my parents sent me overseas to further my study in Economy, which had never been my forte. Though I passed all the exams with flying colors and finished my studies with a Master, I never thought I would want to work in this field. I actually had a hidden interest. Music. I have always like music so much. And my dreams came true as one of the top entertainment companies, S.M Entertainment casted me to be their trainee. And that’s why I ended up being an EXO member despite all of my parents’ objections. What do they know about their only biological child? Nothing. They’re too busy working. So let them work. And let me further my dreams.

                “Earth to Sehun. Are you okay? You’ve been daydreaming for a long time. Areum already finished her lamb chop and bulgogi!” Baekhyun whispered, “and you know what? She never lift her head for even one second. She’s that hungry.”

                “Oh, I’m okay,” I looked at Areum, feeling of satisfaction started settling in me, “let her eat anything she wants. It’s on me anyway, so I don’t mind that.”

                “What about me?” Baekhyun pouts, showing his puppy eyes.

                I laughed silently. “Sure, you too, hyung.”