Curiosity

The Last of Us

“Don't leave me. Whatever it is.”

                I look around to find the voice, still unable to recognize the voice. I think I’ve heard this voice somewhere. I am currently struggling to make out the voice, until suddenly I remember the owner of the voice. Sehun?

                “Sehun? Is that you?”

                A figure start to form before me. It’s transparent at first, but the figure finally solidifies and becomes opaque. There he is, Oh Sehun, standing straight in front of me.

                “What are you doing here, Sehun? Where am I?” I ask, in confusion, frankly speaking.

                “I’ll always be with you. Forever and ever.” I was looking for the source of the voice again. Why? Because his mouth doesn’t even move when the voice is heard.

                “You’re in your own dream of course, Areum. That’s why you can’t see my mouth moving. In this dream, we can interact with each other telepathically.” Sehun says, giving me a wide smile.

                My heart beats faster and it doesn’t feel like a dream at all. Suddenly, his cold hand touches my cheeks, waking me up from my reverie.

                “But why does it feel so real? It’s like I’m not dreaming at all.” I look directly into his eyes, demanding for answers.

                He sighs. “You’ll know soon, Areum. I can’t tell you who am I actually now. I have to wait for the right time.”

                “Who are you, Oh Sehun? Who are you? Why are you here? If you keep on doing this, you will make my life miserable!” My voice rises into a scream.

                “I-I’m a-“

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                My phone rang, waking me up. I opened my eyes slowly, kind of annoyed at how early the caller called me. I mean, I was still sleepy and of course, I was totally not in the mood to answer the call. Should I let it be? I should. My phone stopped ringing and I hissed, as the phone call actually cut off my dream and I didn’t know what would happen. Would I know his identity. Even if it’s dream. I sighed and tried to sleep again when my phone freaking rang again.

                I grabbed my phone from the bedside table, answered it and quickly hollered at the caller. “Why are you calling me early in-“

                “Wow, easy, tiger. I’m waking you up, because it’s not that early in the morning. You’ve classes today, right? I’m sure, you don’t want to be late, again.” The caller’s voice stopped me from yelling at the phone. I pulled the phone away from my ear to look at the screen and my face reddened. Oh Sehun. Oh God. Did I just yell to him?

                “What time is it?” I stretched and yawned, my habit every morning after waking up.

                “It’s almost 7.30 am.”

                “It’s still ear- Damn, I’m screwed. Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” I hung up and quickly grabbed my towel. I shouldn’t take a bath now, because I was so freaking late. Why didn’t I hear the alarm? I quickly washed my face, brushed my teeth and got out from the bathroom. I rummaged through my closet and decided to wear a simple T-shirt and a pair of dark blue jeans.

                I was running out from my house as if I was chased by a monster that eats everything when I stopped abruptly as I saw a black Mercedes parked in front of my house. ‘Eh, who is that?’, I asked myself, while reaching into my coat pocket for the keys. Whatever, I was already late and being curious just took my time more that I should have.

                Suddenly, someone put his hand on my shoulder. Me, being someone who had a black belt in taekwondo, quickly grabbed the person by his arm and twisted it, earning a groan of pain from him.

                “Oh God, Areum, it’s me, Sehun. Let me go-ah-it hurts!” He groaned again, louder.

                I was dumbfounded, letting him go quickly. “O-oh I’m sorry.” I said, feeling regretful. “What are you doing here, Sehun? If you want to pick a fight with me, then you better leave, because I’m already late for classes. I’ve chemistry, biology and-“

                “Areum, there’s no way I want to pick a fight early in the morning, in cold weather like this. That’s what I would like to call, a waste of time. Anyway, if you want to know, I’m here to fetch you and send you to the university.”

                “Wait, I forgot to ask you. How, did you know that I have classes today? Do you have spies or something? Or it’s just that I told you about it yesterday?” My eyebrows furrowed.

                “Telepathy, my dear.” He pointed his index finger towards his head, raising his eyebrows. “I’m sure that you told me you don’t want to be late, so let’s go now.” He offered his arm, signaling me to take it.

                I linked my arm with his and walked with him towards his car, its engine was idle. As I got into the car and pulled the seatbelt, suddenly, I remembered what he said.

                ‘Telepathy, my dear.’

                Did I mishear it or what? It was the same as what he told me in my dream. His cold hand, touching my cheek. Unconsciously, I touched my cheek, feeling as if his hand was still there. His touch on my free hand, made me blinked my eyes a few times, adjusting myself to reality.

                “It’s only 7.45 am and you’re already daydreaming? You better not think about anything else other than your study in your classes after this.” He ignited the engine and within seconds, my house disappeared from my sight.

               “Sehun, would you bother if I asked you something?” I looked at him. His eyes were fixed on the road in front of us.

                “If you ask me something that offends me, then I will drop you off here.”

                I looked around, at the busy road, as a lot of people were on their way to their office. It would be hard to find a public transport right now. I didn’t want to take a risk so I just shut my mouth.

                “It’s okay. I think your question won’t offend me. Maybe. So, go ahead. Ask me what you are currently curious of.” He took his eyes away, since we were at the traffic light.

                “I-I hope it doesn’t offend you nor annoy you. I’m actually curious about your…identity. I want to know…who you really are.” I looked down at my hands, which were clasped together tightly. My knuckles whiten as if I was waiting for a death sentence.

                “I’m Oh Sehun, of course. Are you really an EXO-L? Because if you don’t know me, than you’re not fan of us. Even other fandoms know us well.” He laughed, nothing sounded peculiar.

                “No. I mean…are you really…a human?” I looked at him and suddenly, his pale face gradually becomes paler, that his skin almost looked like a canvas. He grinned, but I could see his lips were trembling, as if my question had him shook.

                “Why are you asking me that question? I mean it’s so sudden it caught me off guard,” he laughed, still, sounding insincere. It was clear that he hid something from me.

                “I was just…asking. Who knows you might not be a human?” I said, but looking at his pale face, I added, only to prevent him from feeling suspicious of what I actually trying to ask. “Because you’re way too pretty to be a human, you know. Humans can’t be this flawless. Humans aren’t perfect. But you are. That’s why. I was curious.”

                He laughed softly, although this time, he sounded a lot relaxed. I sighed in relief. At least, my question didn’t offend him that much. “I’m not that perfect, Areum. I’ve my own flaws. Even if…I’m not…human, I’d still have flaws.”

                I was itching to object whatever he was saying that time when I saw the signboard of my university. So, now here we were.

                “Okay, we’re here. I’m actually hoping I could stay with you a little bit longer but since your house is not that far, it doesn’t take long. Since I want to stay longer with you…would you like to have lunch with me this afternoon? Or are you so busy with classes. If so, it's okay, I could wait for you.” He put his right cheek against the back of his seat, his eyes searching my face. After a moment of silence, I finally made my decision. Well, nothing could go wrong with having lunch together, right? So I nodded, totally agreed with the idea. Again, today, I would be having lunch with my bias wrecker, well one of them.

                I got out of the car then, and bid him goodbye. As I was walking towards the gate, I heard a pair of heels clacking on the pavement. I think I knew who is it, I thought. I turned around and I was right. Irene, with a big smile plastered on her face, was literally running towards me. I sighed and my eyebrows furrowed as I was actually worried with her running all the way to me. I mean, she was wearing a pair of stilettos, its heels were so pointy and thin I was afraid it would got stuck in the small spaces of the pavement. Turned out she was actually a pro at wearing heels, considering she started wearing it since she was in high school, she safely stood before me, her smile still plastered on her face, though wider than before.

                “So, anything new to tell me, huh?” She nudged me with her elbow, her left eyebrow quirked up.

                Me, being dumbfounded, looking at her as if she was an alien I had never seen before. Not that I wish I would see one, though.

                “Nothing. I told you everything, right? I never hide anything from you.” Except yesterday’s incident. She’s going to scream like a possessed woman. And I wouldn’t want that to happen.

                “Are you sure? So, who’s that guy?”

                “Guy? What guy? I came running from my house okay?”

                She frowned. Urgh, that face, early in the morning. “I saw you got out. From a Mercedes. Don’t tell me you stop renting that house, buy a Mercedes and live in it instead.”

                Oh…so she saw me. “Oh, that’s my neighbor.”

                “You think I know nothing, Areum-ah?”

                I gave her a questioning look, covering my shocked face. “What?”           

                “I know it’s Oh Sehun’s car, idiot!” She managed to stop herself from screaming, although her eyes had become red from straining herself.

                “Eh how do you know? Maybe it looked like his car, but it’s not his. What, do you think only Oh Sehun owns a Mercedes? Even if I drive a Mercedes, you’re going to say that I’m Sehun?” I looked straight into her eyes, knowing that would cause her to think again about what she was saying.

                And gotcha.

                She looked towards me, and sighed. Either in relief or annoyance. Or both.

                “Well, maybe, you’re right. Urgh, I thought I could have the chance of meeting him. How to be lucky like other fan girls who would just bumped into him like that?”

                We exchanged looks and as usual, we sighed together, in unison.

                She took a look at her Swarovski watch, well she’s the only child of a rich family, and her eyes widened.

                “We have to hurry! Two minutes left!”

                With that, we rushed, as if we’re in a race, nearly leaving us out of breath.