Proposal

The Last of Us

“Mom, I’m going to leave first. I want to keep you company here but…I got classes starting tomorrow,” Areum pouts, not wanting to leave her mom alone. Not that she’s all alone since Dahae and Hanseul are staying with her.

                “It’s okay, eonni, we can take care of her,” Dahae says, kissing Mrs Baek’s cheek.

                “Don’t you worry, sweetie. Dahae and Hanseul are here. They can take care of me. You go get the education you deserve! You can still come every day after your classes end, right?” Mrs Baek tries to convince Areum. “Sehun, you can take her to see us, right?”

              Sehun, leaning against the door of the private room, grins. “Anytime, mom. Even at 3 in the morning, I’m willing to.” He bows and continues to grin mischievously.

                “No need, I can go by myself.”

                “Nope!” The four of them says. Areum, not having any chances to do anything, rolls her eyes and nods forcefully. "I wish you'd stay here in Seoul, mom. Live with me. I miss you so much every day when I'm away from you." Mrs Baek just smiles faintly, God knows how much she misses her daughter all the time.

 

                “So, can we go now Areum? It’s getting late now.”

                “Goodbye mom. See you tomorrow.”

                They both don’t say a word since they left the hospital. Areum herself can barely keep her eyes open. As she leans her head against the window, she remembers about the girl her mom told her about.

                Her eyes spring open, suddenly the sleepiness melts away just like that.

                “Sehun, the girl. The rose-coloured haired girl. Who is she? You said, she’s Wendy’s younger sister. Is that true?”

                Sehun, who is driving but obviously is spacing out, is taken aback. “What?”

                Areum sighs exasperatedly. “The girl. Tell me about the girl mom told us about.”

                Sehun frowns and exhales loudly, something that a vampire, even Daylighter doesn’t even need to do.

                “Her name’s Rose. She’s my junior at school. Her sister though, is totally different from Wendy. Wendy is an outgoing, brave and extrovert while Rose is quiet, timid and introvert. I barely see her alone. She would always be a with her older sister, no matter where she goes. I wonder how is she now…” Sehun says, his voice trailing off as he reminisces his childhood.

                “Is she a vampire too?” Areum asks, out of curiosity, which stops Sehun from daydreaming.

                “What…did you just say?”

                “Is she a vampire too? You know, Wendy is one…”

                “Wendy is never one. Wendy is a mundane. I knew her, and she’s a normal girl. I’m the abnormal one. I’m a vampire, a daylighter at that.”

                “But in the dream, she obviously is a vampire. I saw it with my own eyes, how her fangs came out.”

                “But it’s just a dream-“

                Areum shoves both her wrists in front of Sehun. “Do you still think that was just a normal dream? A normal nightmare? Because I don’t think so.”

                Sehun wants to say something but stops abruptly as he loses everything he had to say. “Maybe it’s time for us to be more careful. I see that she’s not the old Wendy anymore."

                After the class ended, Areum quickly runs towards the usual place where Sehun would be waiting for her. Her dress is flowing around her, light as if she’s wearing a dress made from cloud. The red flowery dress contrasting with her skin very well, brightening the pinkish tint on her cheeks. The amazing part about her that Sehun loves a lot is, she doesn’t even have to wear makeup to look pretty. Hell, she even looks like Miss Universe in Sehun’s eyes when she just woke up from her sleep.

                She’s so happy to see him even at the same time, she’s confused, seeing how Sehun’s dressed like he’s going to have a special dinner in those expensive restaurants. Not that he can’t afford it.

                “Hello, my angel. How’s your day?” Sehun hugs her tightly, but not that tight as she can still breathes.

                “Today’s fine. And tiring, as usual,” Areum giggles.

                Sehun looks at Areum up and down before nodding a few times, approving what he sees.

                “What?

                “You’re beautifully dressed. So, let’s go. I want you to meet someone, nope, two-one?”

                “The word two-one never exists, oppa.” Areum slaps his shoulder. "Who are we meeting? Don't you think I should go home first and change into a clean and more proper-for-special-dinner outfit?"

                “No need. You’re always beautiful. Everything you wear is proper for any events. ” Sehun rolls his eyes playfully. “Let’s get going, we don’t want to be late.”

               They finally arrive at the hotel located in the heart of the city of Seoul. As Sehun gives his car keys towards the valet, Areum looks around, admiring the luxurious interior design of the hotel which is visible through the double arched glass door. Expensive cars are parked in front of the hotel, Lamborghini, Ferrari and many more. Areum enters the hotel awkwardly as the doorman holds the door for her, as she’s never used to being treated that way other than Sehun. Sehun, being the rich kid he always is, looks calm, his eyes wandering around,

                “There, the restaurant. Let’s go.” He holds out his hand, taking Areum’s hand in his and kisses it.. “Milady, please come with me,” he says, as he links her arm with his. Areum just laughs shyly when the doorman who is watching them, smiles at them.

                Sehun walks confidently towards a table of four, situated at the far end of the restaurant, as if chosen for privacy.

                Seated on two of the chairs, side by side, a man dressed in black tuxedo and a woman dressed in sparkly sequined gold dress. No smile is there on either’s faces as they’re busy looking at the menus with hard covers. Both of them don’t even look old. They look like they are almost the same age as their son. Maybe, it’s because the vampire thingy.

                “Mama, papa.” They lift their head at the same time when Sehun calls them. Almost immediately, they smile back towards Areum. Areum, feeling the awkwardness almost controlling herself, bows slightly.

                “Please have a seat.” His father, Mr Oh, pointing towards the seat opposite of Mrs Oh. “Thank you Sir.”

                “Oh no need to call me Sir. Call me papa too. And call her mama. You’re like our daughter. You know, we’ve always wanted to have a daughter, our own daughter but I guess we don’t have the chance to have one.” Mrs Oh, not saying anything, just nod, her motherly smile never leave her face.

                After ordering their meal, all of them continue to talk about Areum and her relationship with Sehun.

                “Sehun’s our only son, our only child, too. We want the best for him and apparently, you’re the best for him. I’m thankful for Lord has given him the best woman. I’ve never seen him so happy before he meets you. You know, he’s kind of introvert and he doesn’t know how to talk to women.” His mom teases him, causing his face to redden.

                “Mama! You don’t have to tell her everything!” Sehun, at that time, looks like a 5 year-old kid, sulking as his mom doesn’t let him to eat any candy.

                “Oh Lord, you’re like a baby! Areum-ah, how do you keep up with him when he’s acting up?” Mrs Oh smiles, shaking her head. Her dark hair are bound in a tight bun, with ivory pearls scattered on her head. Her pale skin looks so much paler with the pale red lipstick on her lips.

                “He never acts like a kid in front of me,” Areum says, looking at Sehun who’s smiling triumphantly, “but I guess I’ll have to get myself prepared for that.” Sehun’s smile fades, replaced by a scowl. “You two-“

                “You look so good together.” Mr Oh, after being quiet for a few moments, finally speaks up.

                Areum blushes as she heard the statement. “Yeah I think so too.” His mom agrees, holding Areum’s hands in her hands. Areum shivers as her hands which are already cold, are being held by colder pair of hands.

                “Oh, Areum. I heard that you’re a mundane. You’re not a vampire, like us.” Mr Oh says, making Areum’s smile fades. ‘What if his parents want us to break up since I’m not a vampire? I –‘

                “Don’t worry. I never mind about that. I'm worried about him since he barely has control over himself when he doesn't feed...and he rarely feeds. I'm worried that he will hurt you." Mr Oh says, his fatherly smile brings back the good mood.

                “It's fine, papa. I’ll make sure this little boy feeds all the time.” Areum pinches Sehun’s cheeks, who scowls at the word ‘feed' which means drinking blood.

                After finishing their food, Sehun and his parents keep exchanging glances. Areum, shifting in her seat, can't stop herself from having negative thoughts. Questions about do they think she's not good enough keep flooding into her mind.

                But the questions remain as questions when Sehun suddenly gets up from his seat, walks over to Areum and kneels beside her. Areum, taken aback, puts her hand on her chest, as if it could slow down her pounding heart.

"After all these years, she's been such a good woman for me. She's changed my life for a better one. I'm no good when it comes to romantic thingy. Let's cut it short, will you marry me?"

                Areum’s eyes watered, as if her tears would fall anytime. She looks at Mr and Mrs Oh, to find them looking at her, eyes shining brightly and full of hope, that she would accept the proposal. She looks back at Sehun, who’s holding a black velvet ring box in his palm, eyes pleading.

                “You know what? I never say no towards something so good in my life. So, what makes you think I would say no?”

                “Mom, do you want to know what happened today?” Areum asks eagerly, she can’t even wait to have a sit.

                Her mom, being eager as she was, sits up, leaning against the pillows. She’s getting better, although she is still weak.

                Areum looks at Sehun, as he gives her a nod of approval. Areum looks back at her mom, and puts her own right hand on top of her mom’s lap. There, on the fourth finger, a white gold ring with a diamond on top, shimmers as the white light of the hospital room hit it. Mrs Baek eyes waters, touched.

                “Sehun, does it mean, you’re going to marry her?” Her eyes shine brightly, hopefully.

                “Yes, mom. I’m marrying her. We came here…to ask for your blessings. Please bless our marriage mom.” Sehun walks closer, leaving his spot near the door and takes a sit on the hospital bed. He takes Mrs Baek’s hand and kisses it, slowly.

                “You always have my blessings, my son.” Mrs Baek hugs him tightly. Finally, someone’s going to take care of her eldest daughter. Not that she can take care of herself, it’s just it feels nice when a guy loves your daughter whole-heartedly.

                “So, when are you getting married?” Mrs Baek asks as she lets Sehun go. She looks excited already, her pale cheeks becoming pinkish as a result from the excitement.

                “We'll wait until you're fully recovered. Mom, why are you so excited? Look at your face.” Areum points out.

                “Of course, I’m excited! I’ve been waiting for this moment ever since you were born, ever since I gave you your name!”

                “Seriously, mom….”

                A knock on the door stops their chat. “Come in.” (insert Overdose here XD ) Sehun says, not taking his eyes away from the door. Hanseul and Dahae come in, stopping at the door’s threshold as everyone’s looking at them. “What’s wrong? Why all of you are looking at us like we’re strangers?”

                Areum, Sehun and Mrs Baek exchange glances before smiling widely.

                “Dahae, Hanseul. Guess what?” Mrs Baek holds Areum’s hand, showing the ring, “Your sister is going to get married!”

                “Really?” They squeal in excitement, hugging each other. The three of them just laugh, shaking their head at Dahae and Hanseul’s action.

                “What are you going to wear? When are you going to get married? Will I get to wear a dress too?” And a ton of questions are being thrown by the two kids.

                “Hey! Don’t ask so many questions. You're giving them headache!"  Mrs Baek looks at both of them, a motherly smile on her face.

                “Yay, you’re going to be our brother! I can’t wait! Will you come over and visit us when you’re married one day? Will you let us meet our nieces and nephews? How many children are you planning to have?”

                Sehun smirks at the last question.

                “We would like to have six. Three boys and three girls. That's so cute, right?” Areum blushes at the thought of having children with Sehun. She honestly never thought about having children before, so the thought of having SIX nearly makes her head explodes in embarrassment.

                “Don’t be shy, Areum. It’s something that we’ve to plan too, right?” Sehun says, putting his hand on her shoulder. Even though Areum’s not looking at him, she could literally see him smiling from the tone of his voice.

                “Ah, I can’t wait…Welcome to the family, Sehun oppa!” Dahae exclaims.

                “Sehun hyung, we can have fun every day!” Hanseul says while jumping around.

                “But I want to have fun with your sister….every day…” Sehun looks sideways, to find the blush on Areum’s cheeks turns into a deeper shade of red.

                “This guy seriously….” She mutters, as she’s not able to lift her head and talk as she feels completely abashed.

               

Author's note : I'm so excited when I wrote this chapter that it becomes two times longer than usual chapter. You know, who doesn't get excited when it comes to proposal! XD I'm kinda having a writer's block, I can feel like this story is becoming boring T.T I have to finish the fanfic before I got into the university because you know, university life gotta be hectic as hell.... :( anyways keep reading and upvote lovelies!! <3 Thank you for your supports. Here's this cutie for you 

*look at thattttttt my nose gonna bleeedddd*