Is It Time for the Truth?

The Last of Us

Biology class was the last class for today. Everyone got out from the lecture hall, frowning. Who wouldn’t , if you just finished a lot of assignments in one day and the next day, you’ve to finish a whole mountain of new assignments? Miss Taeyeon could be considered as a hardworking person since she could finish marking all the assignments so quickly. Quicker than the time we take for a single assignment. I was tired too but I know, it’s all for us. She wants us to be a successful person. So I just obeyed everything.

                “Do you want me to give a ride, Areum?” Irene asked, her arm was linked with mine.

                I looked upward, looking at the sky, whose plain blue was already hidden by the grayish cloud. ‘The weather forecast said it was going to be a sunny day,’ I sighed, suddenly reminded with the pile of clothes I had to wash. I sighed again, feeling greatly tired.

                “Sure. I’ve some chores to do and waiting for the bus would waste my time. With whom did you come with? Your dad?” I asked.

                She pouted. “He’s busy, along with mom. I came here on my own. I told my driver that I want to drive on my own. He protested but, a little of blackmailing will always do.” She laughed.

                “So let’s get going!”

                We were busy talking about classmates, boys especially and the assignments, when suddenly a really tall figure stood before us, causing us to stop abruptly.

                I craned my head, wanting to look at the anonymous, when my mouth gaped open. ‘What is he doing here?’

                “Oh, I’m here to see you, Areum.”

                I looked at Irene. Just like before, she looked so indifferent, although she was looking straight at Oh Sehun. She got closer to me and whispered, “Did Mr Lee come here to punish us? Did he change his mind?”

`               I looked at Irene in confusion. Couldn’t she see? It’s her bias! “Irene, it’s not Mr. Lee, it’s Mr. Oh-“

                “Areum, I’d like you to come with me. Irene, you can go home first. I’ll send her home later. Don’t worry. Both of you won’t be punished.

                I looked at him, questioning his actions. Instead of saying anything, he just quirked up his eyebrows.

                “But-“

                “I’ll go first, Mr Lee,” Irene nudged me with her elbow, and whispered, “Stop saying ‘but’, I’m afraid he’d change his mind, though he looks like he won’t. Whatever, bye!”

                She bid her goodbye and left me alone, mouth wide opened. I glared at Oh Sehun, who just wouldn’t stop lifting his eyebrow.

                “Why did you-“

                “I told you we’re having lunch together right? You’re too young to be forgetful. Or you didn’t tell me before that you’re senile?” He held my hand and walked, pulling me along with him.

                “But I got a lot of house chores to be done!”

                “What do you have to do?”

                “I’ve to wash my clothes and-“

                “Let’s go to your house, pick up your laundry and send it to the lobby nearby. I don’t care. I still wanna have lunch with you.”

                “It’s just a waste of money. I can wash it on my own and it’s free!”

                “Everything’s on me. There’s no waste of money. Now shut your mouth up.” He said calmly as he got into his car. Me, still angry, got into the passenger’s seat, quickly wear the seatbelt and looked outside, since I refused to look at him. ‘Who does he think he is, wanting me to obey everything he says?’, I hissed.

                And he chuckled.

                “What?” I asked, mumbling.

                “Nothing. You’re funny, that’s all.”

                Everything was quiet after that. I was too tired, I decided to just take a short nap before arriving at the restaurant. There was a traffic jam after all, so there’d be enough time for me to sleep.

                I dozed off.

SEHUN’S P.O.V

                ‘Who does he think he is, wanting me to obey everything he says?’

                I ignited the engine and I heard it coming from her. Should I tell her the truth now, or is it not the right time? I shook my head, and looked at her. She was pouting, a tint of pink on her cheeks, indicating how angry she was.

                I chuckled.

                “What?” She asked, her voice sounds angry, though softer.

                “Nothing. You’re funny, that’s all.” She snorted after hearing my answer.

                After ten minutes of driving, we got stuck in the traffic jam since it was afternoon and everyone was going out for lunch. Realizing that I didn’t even have the chance to ask her what did she want to eat, I laughed internally at my own stupidity.

                “Areum-ah, where do you want to eat? You can ask for everything, I won’t mind.”

                Silence. Women are like this when they’re angry right? They refused to tell men if they’re pissed off and eventually exploded when their behavior is being questioned.

                “Yah, Areum. Don’t be  mad at me. I know you’re tired, so let’s just go to the dobby. It’s easier that way. I also told you we’re having lunch together, this morning, right? So you can’t really blame me on that.”

                Again, silence. ‘Sigh, this is harder than I thought it was’.

                “Areum, Areum.” I looked sideways towards her and I saw the reflection on the door’s window. Oh, that explained why she wasn’t answering when I asked her. She’s sleeping soundly, her head was rested against the door.

               I adjusted her position so she’s sleeping while facing me. Her face was so calm, no more the pink tint on her cheeks. wasn’t pouting anymore. Only pure innocent façade was visible, replacing the angry one. She looked just like a sleeping baby, with slightly opened. I unconsciously smile at the sight. ‘She still looks good when she’s angry, but she looks way better now.’

                Suddenly, I felt the urge of kissing her. I looked at her lips and I didn’t even realize that I was moving closer to Areum, until my face was only inches from hers, my breath stirring her hair. I closed my eyes…

                “HONK!”

                I was shocked that I jumped back into my seat. Areum woke up from her nap, her eyes were red. Phew that was close…

                “Where are we?” She asked, her hoarse voice was barely audible.

                “Still in the city. Why?”

                “I want to take a short nap, can I?” She said and she dozed off again.

                I laughed at her actions. “Of course, you’ve taken a nap already.”            

                When we arrived at her house, I got out from my car to see that it’s a small but nice house. I woke her up although I didn’t have the heart to do it since she apparently looked very tired.

                “Areum, wake up. We’re here.” I touched her cheek, poking it. She woke up and out of the blue, she hugged me. I gasped, as this was really something that she wouldn’t do if she’s conscious or awake.

                “Areum…?”

                “Don’t leave me…”

                “I won’t leave you-“

                She immediately pulled away from me, and she was clearly shocked at the incident.

                “I-I’m sorry.”

                “There’s n-no n-need to…Just take your laundry.”

                She quickly got out of the car, scrambling inside her sling bag for her house key and unlocked the door. I took the opportunity to take a look at her house. Everything was white, English-style. Just the way I like it. I don’t really like those colorful walls or furniture. White is beautiful and elegant enough. Everything was perfectly arranged too. There wasn’t even a speck of dust, showing how neat and clean she was.

                “Oh Sehun, let’s go.” She called for me, in her arms was a bucket of laundry. Seeing her struggling to hold it, I quickly ran towards her, asking for her to give me the bucket. And I saw her face turned white, as if blood was leaving her body. She shook her head, but the appalled look still didn’t leave her face.

                “W-What happened? Are you okay, Areum? Do you need me to carry you?” I asked, there’s nothing on my mind that time, except the concern with her health. Who knows she would just faint like yesterday because she hadn’t fully recover?

                “W-What are you? W-who are you?” She asked.

                I was completely clueless.

                “What do you mean, Areum? It’s me, your friend, right? Oh Sehun?”

                “You aren’t a human.”

                “What-“

                “I saw you running to me! A normal human wouldn’t run that fast. You ran like as fast as lightning. I couldn’t even blink my eye once and you’re standing right here before me! You aren’t a human!” She screamed hysterically.

                I could feel the blood leaving my face too. Did she saw it…? I sighed. Maybe…maybe it’s finally the right time, to tell the truth. Maybe I had to tell her about it.

                “Areum, if you’re still willing to go out for lunch with me…I’d tell everything. The truth…the reason why I asked you to go out with me…is for this. To tell you the truth. Now, would you like to go out with me?”