Jeonju

Life as Taeyeon

*Taeyeon POV *
Few days later 


We’ve just packed the bags into the car for our trip to jeonju. My parents were ecstatic to hear that I’m coming to visit and that I’m bringing Tiffany. They usually have to come visit me in Seoul because of my busy schedule. 

Sunny has come outside to say goodbye. 

“It’s going to be pretty empty at the dorm.” Sunny says

Tiffany smiles, “ Missing us already.”

“No. You annoying couple.” Sunny jokes 

We laugh 

“Don’t forget to feed Prince and Ginger.” Tiffany reminds 

“Arasso (I got it)  wifey.”

“Wifey?” I frown 

Sunny pushes me, “Ah jinjja (seriously) Just leave already!”

“kkkkk.” I chuckle ,”Fine! I’m going!”

Tiffany goes to the car door. She turns back and waves to Sunny, “Bye hubby!”

“Yah... Fany-ah...”

She laughs, “Oh my god, Tae. ”

We get in the car and I drive us to jeonju. As I drive towards my parents house I feel nostalgic. I can remember my younger days when I would run around playing with my brother’s friends. When I debuted as SNSD people said I changed. Wearing cute outfits dancing to cute songs that was never me so I felt conflicted for a while but now I just accept that SNSD’s Taeyeon and Kim Taeyeon are both a part of me. 

“What are you thinking about?” Tiffany asks

“Just about the old times.”

She smiles and looks out the window ,“It must be nice to go home.”

I wonder if Tiffany wants to visit her own childhood home? In California. 

I park in front of my house and my parents rush out happily. As soon as I get out the car they give me a big hug, “Welcome home!” 

Tiffany smiles on the side at the scene but my dad sees and opens his arms as an invitation to join the hug. So she happily joins. 

“I’m home. Mom, dad.” I say with a big smile. We part from the family hug and my mom feels my arm. 

“Have ya been eating well? You’re so skinny.” My mom says 

I laugh, “I’ve been eating well!”

“It’s good to see you again.” Tiffany says with a big eye smile to my parents and bows 

“Fany-ah still so well mannered. We’ve missed ya.” My mom says sincerely. 

Ever since my mom found out that Tiffany lost her mom she’s treated her as a daughter. All the members parents are like that but since Tiffany is closest with me it’s especially like that. 

“You must tell TaeTae ta eat more.” She tells Tiffany 

Tiffany giggles  “I will.”

“Mom I’ve been eating just fine!”

“Should I help ta bring in yer bags?” My Dad offers

Tiffany immediately declines, “No Dad don’t worry I’ll do it.”

“Will ya be OK? The bags aren’t ta heavy?”

“Really don’t worry. I’m strong.” She says and does a muscle pose which is very unconvincing. 

He laughs, “Let me know if ya need help.”

I help Tiffany to bring in our bags and we enter the house. 

“We cleaned the sheets in yer old room and cleared out a few things.” My mom tells me

“Mom, you didn’t have to clear it it’s just two days.” 

“It was no problem. You hardly ever come home we wanted it to be special. Fany-ah I hope ya don’t mind staying in Hayeon-ah’s room.”

“No I don’t mind. Thank you for letting me stay.” She replies 

Separate rooms...

“It’s been so lonely wit little Hayeonie going to Seoul... I suppose she isn’t so little anymore.” My dad says. 

“She’s still little. Whenever I see her she still clings to me.” I joke 

They laugh. It clearly makes them happy to hear that. 

“We’ll let ya settle down fer a little bit and I’ll prepare some snacks.” My mom offers 

I show Tiffany Hayeons room then I go to mine. After all these years it hasn’t changed much. They’ve put up a bunch of my childhood pictures. Even more recent pictures. I lie back in my bed. It’s weird being in my old room. 

Tiffany comes in ,”It looks like you’re already used to it again.”

“It just feels nostalgic.”

I sit up and she sits next to me. She looks at all my old pictures, “You were so cute!”

“I can’t even remember when most of these were taken. It feels so long ago.”

She looks at me ,”You’re still cute.”

I smirk, “Really.” 

She smiles, “And annoying.”

Our proximity is kind of close and I can smell her shampoo. I stare at her then she kisses me. I want to kiss but I pull away, “We can’t do this at my parents house.”

She pushes me down onto the bed, “We can’t?”

She pins down my hands and kisses me again. 

Maybe we can... 

“Snacks are ready!” My mom calls 

Tiffany stops and gets up, “Come TaeTae~”

It takes me a moment to follow. How is she always so hot. 

We go to the lounge. My Mom prepared some biscuits and tea for everyone. 

“Thank you so much.” Tiffany says and takes a sip of tea. 

“Please help yerself ta the biscuits as well.”

Tiffany smiles, “I will.”

We talk happily about recent news and also about how things have been in their life. 

“What happened to ya Jeonju accent?” My dad asks 

“Ya use ta still talk to us with yer accent.” My mom adds

I laugh nervously, “I’ve been in Seoul for a long time.”

“Talk in your accent TaeTae.” Tiffany teases. 

“It’s been ta long. I’m not use ta it.” I say in my jeonju country accent. 

Tiffany giggles. 

“Ya like it?” I say to her 

“I like it.” She smiles at me 

“Yer words are rusty.” My mom says

“Have ya found a man? Ya ain’t so young now.” My dad asks 

My heart stops. 

“I haven’t found a man...”

“We won’t force ya. Yer dad just doesn’t want ya to be lonely. You’re a great girl if ya try you can find somebody great.”

I did find someone great...

“And you Fany-ah?” My dad asks

“Um.. No I haven’t.”

“A pretty, well mannered girl as yerself. Yer the ideal daughter-in-law.  I’m sure ya will find someone.” My mom reassures Tiffany 

Ideal daughter-in-law... How can I tell them? When do I tell them? Tiffany puts her hand on mine and I move it away quickly without thinking. 

We go out and explore jeonju with my parents. I see some familiar places and other new places. It feels like a family holiday. After the long day I lie in my bed. I thought I would be able to sleep easily but when I think about how tomorrow is probably my last chance to tell my parents directly for a while I just can’t relax. My bed feels empty... 

Just as I was thinking about her. Tiffany enters my room. 

“Are you awake?”

“Yeah."

She comes into my small childhood bed. 

“If my mom comes in the morning she’ll see you.” 

“I’ll wake up early.”

I hug her from the back and bury my head into her shoulder, “I can’t sleep. There’s too many thoughts in my head.”

Tiffany puts her hand on mine, “Don’t tell them. It’s fine Tae... Don’t think too much.” 

“You smell nice...”

 

* Next day *

 

I fell asleep without realizing it and when I woke up Tiffany wasn’t in my bed. I thought I liked having my own space when did that change? 

Like yesterday we go around Jeonju. Right now we’re at deokjin park. 

“It’s so beautiful here!” Tiffany says and starts taking pictures. She also takes pictures of me and my family. 

“I haven’t been here since I was a kid.” 

“Ya weren’t so interested in the lotus flowers when ya got older.” My mom says 

“What a waste Tae!” 

“You only like them so much because they’re pink.” I tease 

She looks away, “That’s not true.” 

I take a picture of Tiffany looking out to the lotus flowers when she isn’t looking. She looks so beautiful. 

“Yer still very close.” My dad says after seeing me looking at the picture. 

“Yeah... we are.”

Tiffany turns back and smiles at me then returns to looking at the flowers. 

“Fany-ah seems ta really like it here.” He continues 

“She still hasn’t got over her pink obsession.” 

He laughs, “I don’t know how ya did it but ya managed ta find a best friend completely opposite ta ya.”

I laugh, “I end up doing a lot of things because of her.”

We walk around then go back to the house. My mom wants to cook us a home cooked meal. Tiffany and I decide to take a walk outside. 
Before long Tiffany gets a message and checks her phone. She’s silent. 

“Taeyeon... Did you make out with Jessica?”

My breathing stops. 

“Did Jessica tell you?”

She frowns ,“So it’s true!” 

“It’s not what you think! After you broke up with me I—“

“AFTER I BROKE UP WITH YOU? WE WERENT APART FOR THAT LONG TAE! YOU GOT OVER ME REALLY FAST!” She shouts angrily 

“NO! I DIDN’T! JUST LISTEN—“

“THIS EXPLAINS THE CLUB!  OBVIOUSLY ANY AMERICAN GIRL WAS FINE!” 

“You know that’s not true!”

“How? How do I know that? You weren’t planning on telling me this! Because you love keeping secrets so much!” 

“I DON’T!  I thought you trusted me! “

“I thought I did! But I never had to worry about you cheating on me if I go away for work! You didn’t tell me this! How do I know there isn’t other things you aren’t telling me!”

“I didn’t tell you because I knew you would react this way!”

“You thinking that’s OK is the problem! Do you think this isn’t a proper relationship because we’re both girls? It’s proper to me!” She says now teary. 

“IT’S SUPER PROPER TO ME! I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!” 

“ HOW CAN I BELIEVE THAT RIGHT NOW!”

I grab her hand and pull her into the house. 

“Taeyeon what are you—“

“Mom, dad I have something to tell you! It’s urgent!”

My dad is on the couch but my mom who was in the kitchen comes to see what is going on. 

“I’m in love with Tiffany! And I’m going out with her!”

There’s silence 

“This joke isn’t—“ my dad begins to say. 

“IT’S NOT A JOKE! I’M SERIOUS! I LOVE HER!” 

“WE DIDN’T RAISE YA LIKE THIS!” He shouts

“Leave.” My mom says with tears in her eyes

“Mom I—“

“LEAVE!” she shouts 

I stumble back out the door and they shut it in my face. My kind supportive parents did that. What happened to the happiness I felt spending time with them. 

“Taeyeon I’m sorry! This is my fault! I’m stupid! Just tell them you were joking!” Tiffany pleads while tugging my sleeve with tears in her eyes 

The next moment the door opens and our suitcases are placed outside followed by the door firmly closing. 

“TAEYEON TELL THEM!” 

I pick up the suitcases and walk to the car 

“TAEYEON!”

Tears start falling from eyes without my permission and my path becomes blurry. The weight of the suitcases feel as if they have doubled. I let them go and fall to my knees. 

“I’m going to go talk to them!” she says but I grab her wrist. 

“Don’t...”

She goes on her knees to be the same level as me. She’s crying and she bashes me, “YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO DO THAT!” 

I pull her into a hug and I cry.