Chapter 2

It’s not that simple

I looked at Sarah and put my finger on my lips to signal her to be quiet. If my dad would wake up we would get in trouble. I went in the kitchen and made a sandwich for Sarah. *whispering* “Here eat this. You know what mommy used to say right?” She looked at me and smiled thinking of her mother. “If you want to get big and strong you have to eat well.” She quoted. It was something that our mom used to say but that’s not how Sarah knew. She apparently dreamed that our mom said that to her and when she woke up she told me everything. “I’m going to eat a lot so I can protect you Janie.” She said proudly. I smiled at her and kissed the top of her head.

I made her lunch and put it in her schoolbag. I then began to clean the living room and threw away the glass. I looked at the clock. “We have to hurry Sarah. We don’t want to be late for school.” She looked at me with a worried look. “But Janie has to eat too.” “I will eat later it’s fine sweetie.” She looked disappointed with my answer but didn’t object.


We walked to her school and she ran to her friends. I felt bad that this was the last day she was going to see them. I started to walk away to go to my own school. “Janie!!” I looked back and see Sarah running up to me. I kneeled down and almost fell over when she hugged me. “Goodbye, I love you Janie!” “I love you too baby.”

I walked to my own school after I saw her running back. I saw Jungkook at the gate. It breaks my heart that after today I will just leave him behind like he means nothing to me. He ran to me and hugged me tightly and it hurt so much because I was still sore from the beating. I groaned. “Again?” he looked at me sad. I looked away and nodded. “When is he going to stop!? I hate seeing you hurt Jane! You don’t deserve this!” I gave him a weak smile. “Soon.” He looked mad. “If he hurts you one more time I will not hesitate to beat him up.” I hugged him. “Thank you Jungkook, you are an amazing friend. I love you.” He smiled. “I love you too, so much.”

I walked in class and everyone stared at me. I forgot to cover up my bruises but I honestly didn’t care anymore. It was the last time I was going to see them anyway. Jungkook glared at our classmates. “What?” everyone looked away, afraid he was going to get mad at them. He fought with everyone who was mean to me. He didn’t care if it was a girl or a boy. I tugged on his sleeve and he looked at me. “It’s fine Jungkook. I don’t care.”

Class started but I wasn’t listening. I decided to write in my diary.


Jane’s diary:

Tonight is the night. I have it all planned out. My grand escape. I started planning everything months ago. I started with searching what country we could flee to. I knew my dad would find us if we stayed in this country. I once went to South-Korea on vacation. I absolutely loved it there. He would never figure it out if we went that far away so I decided we would go there. I started working and saving money three years ago to go on a trip to somewhere but I decided to use that money for traveling and buying an apartment. I made sure I had permission to stay in Korea with Sarah. Since I’m eighteen and pretended Sarah was my daughter I got permission. I bought plane tickets and an apartment a month ago. The flight is at 4 o’clock in the morning because my dad would for sure be sleeping at that time. All there’s left to do is steal money from my dad. Yes it’s bad thing to steal and blah blah blah but I will leave enough money for food. I’ll just take what I need since he is going to use his extra money to buy alcohol anyway. I will leave two letters. One for my dad and one for Jungkook. I’ll put the letter for Jungkook on the post so it will arrive a few days after I left.

End of diary


Letter for dad:

I left with Sarah, please don’t search for us. It’s better for the both of us. You are not capable of taking care of us and I am sick of this abuse. You need help dad and I will refuse to talk or listen to you until you get it. Do it for Sarah, do it for me, do it for mom. I love the man you were dad. Please find us when he’s back. Until then, goodbye.

Jane


Letter for Jungkook:

I’m sorry. I am so sorry for leaving you but I didn’t want you to follow me. Jungkook stay here and finish school. Be with your friends and forget me, I know it’s hard and I will never forget you. I’m broken and I will search for you as soon as I’m fixed. I don’t want to hold you back or pull you down any longer. Your life will be much easier without me. I know you will disagree because you’re incredibly stubborn but I love that about you. You are an amazing person and please don’t ever change. I went to South-Korea with Sarah. Don’t worry I’ll be gone from that house. You know that that’s my dream.

Goodbye Jungkook I LOVE YOU SO MUCH

Jane <3


School ended and I hugged Jungkook goodbye. I hugged him a little longer and tighter than usual. He noticed it but didn’t say anything about it. I left to pick up Sarah and left him a little confused and worried.

I’m sorry Jungkook but after today I don’t think I’ll see you again. I forced myself not to cry. I barely ever cry so I wasn’t going to cry over a good thing. I will be gone from this horrible place and Jungkook will be free of his worries about me. I should be happy right? I guess I just hate the thought of living without him.


Author’s note: Second chapter is here! Tips and comments are very welcome so don’t hesitate to leave them behind. I think I'll post randomly but I'll do my best to post at least one chapter a week. Byee, thank you for reading!