Chapter 12

It’s not that simple

I packed my stuff after hearing the bell ring. Work is staring today which is a good thing. I was incredibly lucky to get that job.

I reached for my pencil holder but another hand grabbed it and handed it to me. I looked up and saw Jaebum. “Thanks.” He smiled back and put his hands in his pockets. “No problem. I will see you at 4 pm then.” I nodded and saluted jokingly. He chuckled and walked away.

“Why were you talking to him?” Someone spoke right next to my face. I jumped and glared at the owner of the voice, who looked at me innocently. I pushed him a little. Way too close dude.

“Don’t scare me like that Kai. My heart is pounding like crazy!” He smirked at me. “You’re already falling for me?” I froze and looked at him as if he was crazy. “What?” He took a step closer. “Your heart is pounding like crazy huh? That’s a sign of falling in love baby.” I stared at him. Completely confused with his turn in personality. First he’s this childish weirdo and then he turns in to a confident player.

When I finally broke out of my trance I realized he was already walking away from me. Just as he was about to exit the classroom I threw my pencil case at him. It hit his back and he turned around shocked. I heard BTS snickering behind me and some gasps, from fangirls I suppose. He immediately changed back to his childlike persona as he started pouting. “Jaaaaaaaaane why would you throw that at meeeeeh?” I picked up my bag and walked over to him. “How are you a child one minute and an annoying dude the next? Don’t call me baby by the way. It sounds weird coming from you.”

I picked up the pencil case I threw and walked out the room. “Fine.”

Kai tried to follow me but was called back by our teacher, who wanted to talk about his latest test results. I just continued walking with the other six guys.

Taehyung broke the nice silence first. “But Jane, why were you talking to Jaebum? He even said he’ll see you later. Is he your boyfriend??”

“What? He is your boyfriend??” Hoseok asked in shock. “Jane why is Jaebum your boyfriend? You can do better than that.” The third person jumped in.

Wow wait. I only talked to him for about a second and now they think he is my boyfriend? What the hell?

“Hold up! Who said he is my boyfriend?”

Namjoon pointed at Hoseok, who pointed at Taehyung. Taehyung pointed at me but realized I had never said anything like that so he looked around and pointed at Jimin. “Why are you pointing at me?! I didn’t say anything!”

I sighed and shook my head. “He is not my boyfriend, although he is quite cute, he’s just my manager. I got a new job and I’m starting today.”

“Oh really? Where are you going to work?” I turned to look at Jin. “I’m going to work at his parents café.”

“Yeah, you should quit.”

I looked at Hoseok in shock. “What? Why? I need the money.” Hoseok opened his mouth to speak but Namjoon already butted in. “I agree with Hoseok. If you work in a restaurant of some sort you’re bound to be approached by gross men. Plus, you’re working with Jaebum and we’ve never really liked him.”

I was about to get mad at them for trying to control my life but I knew they meant well. Doesn’t mean I’m going to listen though. “Why don’t you like him?” They just shrugged “He fought with Hoseok.” What?!

“What? Hoseok? Happy guy? The one who always smiles?” He chuckled “I don’t usually fight but he broke my cousins heart and he deserved a punch or two. She is like my little sister and he cruelly dumped her in front of everyone.”

I felt bad, especially after seeing the look on Hoseok’s face. “Speaking of little sisters…where is Sarah going to stay while you work?” Jin wondered out loud. Taehyung gasped and jumped up and down.

“Can she stay with me? I love children!” He said with a huge smile on his face.

“Dude she’s terrified of you.”

“No she’s not. I’m pretty sure she loves me.”

“Nahhh… I don’t think so man. She didn’t look very happy when you were all up in her face the last time.”

“Tsk look who’s talking. At least she doesn’t hate me like she hates you!”

“She doesn’t hate me.”

“No you’re right. I’m pretty sure her kick was full of love.”

That silenced Jimin long enough to give Taehyung time to repeat himself. “So Janeee?”

“Hm?” I looked at him.

“Can I babysit Sarah? Please please pleaseeee?” I looked him in the eyes and spoke without hesitation.

“No.” and turned around again. I heard the guys laughing at Taehyung. “Why noooooot?” he whined. I sighed and turned around. “How can I trust a child to babysit a child? Sarah is precious and I would never leave her alone with a guy I barely know.” Little harsh but if he can’t handle that than he can’t handle Sarah.

I opened the door to the rooftop and sat down on one of the benches. Everyone sat beside me except for Taehyung, who decided to sit in front of me on the floor. He stared up at me.

“Let’s get to know each other then.”

“What?” “You said you barely know me, so let’s get to know each other!” He said grinning. “Wait don’t leave me out.” Jimin sat down on the floor and smiled up at me. Before I knew it, everyone was sitting in front of me. “Wow you really want to know me?” They nodded eagerly.

“Uhm what do you want to know? Ask me questions” They all started talking so I couldn’t understand anything. “Okay!” They quieted down. “One speaking at a time. Let’s go from left to right.”

(Order: Jin, Namjoon, Jimin Taehyung, Hoseok, Yoongi)

Jin asked first. “What’s your favourite colour?” The boys groaned. “Come on! That’s the most boring question everrrrrr.” Taehyung whined. I shot him a glare before answering Jin.

“I don’t think it’s a boring question. My favourite colour is green since white is apparently not a colour.” He nodded with a smile before letting it drop and hitting the back of Taehyung’s head.

Namjoon was next “Do you have a boyfriend?”

“Wow that’s straightforward. Why do you ask?” He shrugged “Just curious.”

“Fine, I don’t have a boyfriend.” I turned my attention to Jimin, who was next in line.

“Have you ever had a boyfriend?” Why do they want to know about these things? I frowned slightly as I thought about a certain guy. Do I tell them? I guess I can. I mean, it’s not like they’re going to ask further right?

“I had a boyfriend but that was like two years ago. We broke up” I guess Taehyung noticed my frown as he decided to ask something I was hoping to avoid.

“Can you tell us about him?” Damn it Tae why can’t you read minds?

I sighed. Tell them? Don’t tell them? I can trust them right? I bit my lip as I thought. It’s not my biggest secret so I guess I can tell them… oh wait, I already told them my biggest secret. Well I don’t have anything to lose I guess.

I cleared my throat and started with my story. “When I was sixteen years old I had this huge crush on a guy. He was cute and kind, at least, that’s what I thought.”

They frowned as they didn’t like where this story was going.

“One day he decided to come up to me and actually asked me out on a date. I was beyond excited, thinking that my crush actually liked me back.” I sighed. “So of course I said yes. We dated for a week before I found out the truth and during that week I was super happy. Finally someone saw something in me but I couldn’t be more wrong.”

I chuckled but there was no happiness in it. It sounded like I was mocking myself.

“Exactly a week after he told me that he didn’t love me. I was heartbroken because I didn’t understand why he even asked me out if he didn’t love me but he explained it immediately after. He told me that he pretended to like me because of this stupid bet he and his friends made. ‘If you can get the weird quiet girl to go on a date with you, you will get 10 dollars. If you kiss her you will get another 10 and if you make her your girlfriend for at least a week, you will get 20.’ He broke my heart that day and walked away 40 dollars richer. After that I didn’t trust anyone and spent the rest of my time there being even more quiet than before.”

They were all very silent. I wasn’t sure what they were thinking. Do they think I was stupid for believing him? I was stupid. Why did I think anyone would ever want to be with me?

“GOD DAMNIT!”

I nearly fell off the bench as Hoseok’s loud voice startled me. I looked at the boys, who all had frowns on their face. Are they going to yell at me? Did I make them that mad?

“Hoseok calm do-“ “NO!” he cut Jin off as I pressed my back in the bench, preparing to get yelled at.

“It pisses me off that no one knows how to treat her right!” Me? Of course not, you heard wrong, nobody cares. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them as a way of protecting my body. I didn’t think any of the guys would hurt me because I trusted them but it was just an automatic reaction.

“I know but you have to c-“ “No, actually, I agree with him.” Namjoon interrupted. “It’s true. Everyone treats her like ! That boy broke her heart. Mandy hit her in the middle of the cafeteria and called her names and then her father. The worst of all! Why does nobody treat her like a human?!”

I was silent as I stared at them. They all continued with bickering about how unfair everything was and how they wanted to beat everyone who did me wrong.

“That’s not true.” I whispered.

They looked at me. “Sorry, what did you say?” I cleared my throat and repeated. “That’s not true. You treat me well right? None of you have ever treated me poorly. I’m very lucky to have six guys around me who care about me.” I looked down. “Jungkook treated me well too.” I whispered thinking no one would hear it. “Who is Jungkook?” Everyone looked at Hoseok like he’s gone mad.

“Dude what are you saying?” “Are you okay?”

They were confused since Hoseok was the only one who heard me. “She said that Jungkook treated her well. Who is that Jane?” I lifted my head and looked at Hoseok with tears in my eyes.

Geez why am I so emotional? You don’t deserve to cry. People have it worse than you. But I couldn’t help it. Everytime I think about Jungkook, a huge wave of sadness washes over me. I miss his hugs, his scent, his voice, his comfort. I miss annoying him. I miss killing time with him when I waited for my dad to sober up. I miss him.

I blinked away my tears and spoke. “He’s my best friend…but I left him behind when I ran away.” I could hear my voice crack as I spoke. “He is kind and caring. He knows me better than anyone and always did his best to protect me and make me happy. But I left him behind. I abandoned him and he probably hates me right now.”

I watched her as she spoke of this ‘Jungkook’. It was clear how much she cared for him. How she adored him and respected him as a person. I feel bad because even when I can see how much she misses him, I am happy he’s not here. I want to be here for her. I want to be the one who will comfort her and protect her. I want to make her happy and I don’t even know why. I don’t want to see her cry anymore.

I’m not stupid. I’m not going to make rash conclusions. These feelings could be out of pity too so I’ll just wait until I fully understand them. Even though I barely know this girl in front of me, I feel something inside of me. I’m not oblivious to everything that’s happening and I think there’s quite a big chance that I’m…..

 

 

…Falling for her.

The thought scares me. I don’t feel like she’s ready for a guy who will throw himself at her. I’ll wait for her to be ready. I’ll help her glue the pieces together and I’ll be a good friend to her. Until she is ready to open up her bruised, abused and broken heart. It’ll take time but I’m ready to wait.


Author's note: I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING. I've been incredibly busy and I know it's a bad excuse but I simply didn't have time or I was too tired to write and I hate being forced to write. Comments are very appreciated!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bts gif<3