Chapter 1

It’s not that simple

Jane’s diary:

Today is the last day of school. Well, not officially but for me it is. I have been planning my escape for quite a while now. Jungkook doesn’t know about it but I think that’s better. He will for sure try to follow me and I don’t want that. He should stay here, finish high school and be with his friends. He shouldn’t spend his time running after a broken girl.

I will be free tomorrow and that thought makes me so relieved. I will finally be away from this hell, this abuse. It hurts me to know that the man I’m so terrified of, is my own dad. The man I loved so much.

I will be able to give Sarah a happy live once I leave. Maybe it’s too late for me to be happy, but I will do anything for Sarah. My body is sore, I didn’t sleep last night because I was in too much pain to sleep comfortably. I hope this is the last time that I feel this pain.

Goodbye, I’ll write again soon.

End of diary


I walked to my sister’s bed where she was sleeping peacefully. She looked so beautiful. Sarah reminded me so much of my mother. I shook her gently. “Sarah, wake up sweetie. You have to go to school sleepy-head.” She woke up and rubbed her eyes. “Mom?” she asked.

It broke my heart. She dreams of our mother every night and when I wake her up she always asks if it’s her mom. She was very young when our mom passed away but she still has very realistic dreams. She tells me about them all the time and when she describes ‘mom’ she describes a woman who looks exactly like our mother. The things that they do in her dreams never really happened but I’m glad she can still have that type of experience with her mom. I dream of her too, but not like her. She has happy dreams, I have horrible nightmares.

“No sweetie, it’s me Jane.” She hugged me tightly. “I miss her Janie.”

She always calls me Janie. “Me too baby, but we have her in our hearts and our thoughts. She will always be with us.”

I walked to our closet and picked out clothes that I used to wear when I was small. She wears my old clothes because our dad spends all his money on alcohol. I picked out a shirt and a pair of jeans with a few patches of pink fabric to cover up holes. I combed her hair and put it up in a ponytail. “Sarah put on these clothes and wash yourself.”

I picked out my own outfit. After I dressed myself I took a big suitcase and put all of my clothes in it. I then took a smaller suitcase and filled it with Sarah’s clothes and her favourite stuffed animals. I hid the suitcases in my closet and locked it. I then went in the bathroom and did my morning routine. After doing that I grabbed all of my toiletry and put it in a plastic bag.

“Are you ready Sarah?” I asked “Yes Janie!” She is so adorable. I chuckled. “Well let’s go downstairs to eat breakfast.” I walked in front of her down the stairs. I looked into the living room and it was a mess. My dad was sleeping on the couch and there was glass on the floor. He was drunk again last night…


Flashback:

I was watching TV with Sarah when he came stumbling in. I knew what was going to happen so I picked up Sarah and ran into our room. I locked her in my closet so that bastard couldn’t touch her. I walked back down and saw my dad drinking a beer. “Dad I think you’ve had enough.”  He cursed and walked towards me. I took the beating. I learned that if I didn’t struggle, it would end faster. My lip was bleeding and I could feel that I was going to have a black eye.

After he finally stopped he passed out on the couch. I knew Sarah was probably terrified right now so I cleaned myself up and went upstairs. When I came into my room I could hear her sobbing. I opened the closet and saw her curled up and shaking. I hate my dad. I hate him for what he does to me. I hate him for what he does to Sarah. I hate him for what he did to this family.

“Sweetie it’s me, it’s okay now baby.” She immediately hugged me and cried her eyes out. “I hate him Janie! He hurts you!” “I’m okay baby. Everything’s going to be alright. I’m going to get us out of here. I promise Sarah.”

End of flashback


Author’s note: Ermhagudddd I posted the very first chapter! I hope you enjoyed it even though it’s not a happy chapter.