010

The Art of Truth and Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

010

Confusione.

[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

I walked up to the teacher's desk nervously, my hands tightly gripping the sides of the paper as I mentally prepared to show it to Mr. Park. Since I had fallen asleep after the confrontation with Jungkook, I hadn't had time to write much, only a few words and a note containing a lengthy excuse.

Bully

Perfect

Defender

Truth

Lies

Friend

Soothsayer

"What is this, Taehyung?" Mr. Park stared at me incredulously, before adding, "It's just a brainstorming paper, is it not?"

I shook my head, turning it over so that he could read the note on the back.

'Creative liberty: different forms of art allow creativity to flourish, and should thus be allowed rather than be blocked by higher powers. I apologize for writing somewhat of an improper poem, but I would like to defend my work in saying that it represents my feelings thoughts on my partner better than flowing words ever could. The point I'm trying to make, I suppose, is that I didn't get to understand Jungkook better through this project. I believe, then, that one should take time to get to know someone well, rather than just... spring at it like this. It requires... trust. And I don't think we have that, yet. 'm using my... privilege right to creative liberty in order to express this idea.'

He frowned, his eyes narrowing slightly.

"That sounds like an excuse, Taehyung. Is it not?"

Frustrated, I took the pencil lying beside Mr. Park's grading sheet and began to write more beside my pre-existing note.

'It's not just an excuse... I just didn't know how else to write this. Mr. Park, do you know that feeling where, well, someone leaves you utterly confused after every conversation?'

"Personally, I have not experienced such a thing. I've always made an effort to work towards understanding people through simple conversations such as the ones you two were supposed to have."

'I see. I'm sorry... can you just fail me, then? On this assignment, just give me a 0?'

"So, you're asking me to give you a zero?" He tilted his head to the side, pressing his lips together as he thought. A heavy silence fell upon us, the rest of the class belatedly touching up on their own poems.

"I don't think this deserves a zero," he finally concluded, looking me in the eyes, "I just wish you would've put more effort into it."

'I'm sorry, but I really couldn't. I definitely got something out of this experience, though... thank you for that.'

With a long sigh, Mr. Park nodded, motioning for me to return to my desk. I walked back as quickly as I could, practically skipping back to safety.

I probably looked like a typical class idiot... at least I didn't say that my nonexistant dog ate it.

After flashing a nervous look at Jungkook as he was called up to submit his poem, I began staring intensely at my literature notebook, feelings of frustration rising up within me. The assignment forced me to give away too much of myself, and I felt cheated out of something. 

It would have been fine if Jungkook left himself as exposed as I did, but that wasn't the case. I suppose that was my fault, however, for not asking the right questions.

Remembering once again that Mr. Park was probably reading about the depths of my soul, I panicked, glancing over at his desk. His eyebrows were furrowed as he read the poem, almost as though he was confused about something. I swallowed nervously as he pointed at something on the paper, turning it towards Jungkook.

I should've asked him to read it before he turned it in... ugh.

"Are you asking me why I wrote that?" Jungkook looked at our teacher, blinking rapidly as he waited for a reply.

Pausing to re-read the text, Mr. Park pursed his lips before giving hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter