008

The Art of Truth and Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

008

Mentem nutantem vel errantem.[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

I watched Jungkook, my head resting on my palm. 

He had been extremely concentrated on his writing, but eventually dozed off. I guess he must've been tired, too.

Sighing softly, I realized how little I had learned about him through this whole conversation, even though he had learned a lot about me. Too much for my liking.

I read over my list, still trying to come up with another idea for the poem.

"Jeon Jungkook."

Like I didn't know that already.

"16."

Obvious.

"Both parents, a brother."

New information, but not shocking or surprising. He seemed like a decently happy person.

"Normally blunt."

This was somewhat surprising to me, yet also relieving. It made me less concerned that he had a hidden motive behind his... kind actions. At least, that's what I hoped.

Unfortunately, it was too early to tell.

I huffed, pushing the papers aside in frustration. No matter how much I thought about it, Jungkook just didn't make sense. He was like an outlier in this messed up set of data points.

Yoongi told me that I couldn't trust anyone at this hellhole of a school, but Jungkook didn't seem the type to lie. I felt safe talking to him, but I worried internally.

Although Yoongi constantly reassured me that Jungkook was kind, that he seemed to be a good friend, I was scared.

Scared that one of these days, Yoongi would tell me that Jungkook had betrayed me in some way.

I had opened up to him, told him things I had never told anyone. There were only two other people who knew those things: Yoongi and the liar. My mother, too, I suppose.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't noticed Jungkook opening his eyes and watching me. He frowned, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"Did I fall asleep?"

Startled by the sudden sound, I nearly lept out of my chair. My eyes widened with fright, I gave Jungkook a small nod of my head. He frowned again, sluggishly gazing back down at his messily adorned paper before scratching his head.

"Argh, I lost my train of thought."

'Ah, really? In that case, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?'

"Sure! It's what we're supposed to do, anyways."

'Do you have any nicknames?'

"Well..." He frowned, a tinge of embarrassment causing his cheeks to turn red. "Many people called me Kookie. Or JK."

'Aw, those are cute nicknames!'

Chuckling lightly, he muttered, "I guess."

'Something I'm a bit confused about... do you have a reason for... not lying?'

"Huh? I mean, I do lie, it's not like I'm constantly under a truth serum, or something." 

'But like... you're so blunt! You don't talk behind people's backs, or do anything that others do.'

"It's easier to do that then deal with the backlash that comes from gossip. From... perso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter