oo4

Existence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What's up with you?" Myungsoo asked, eyeing him carefully. Sunggyu paused in his play with his fire that was bursting from the palm of his hands. The fire extinguished itself.

"What do you mean?" Sunggyu shot back, not wanting to answer whatever the hell Myungsoo was asking him. He wasn't even sure what exactly Myungsoo was trying to ask anyway.

"Nothing," Myungsoo finally said, quietly analyzing the older being. He looked away. "I must be mistaken." He looked very troubled as he looked off into the distance.

Sunggyu scowled a little. What happened to the guy who didn't speak unless necessary? Deciding to change the topic, he asked, "What duties do I have today?"

"You’re going to have to take a trip out of the castle," Myungsoo told him, handing him a scroll. "This one is particularly infuriating so I'd suggest you to be mentally prepared." Myungsoo grimaced, as he took another glance at the List.

Sunggyu cocked an eyebrow. "How so?"

"You'll see," Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders a little. Then, without missing a beat, he asked, "Are you sure nothing's been going on?"

Sunggyu gave the younger being an unamused scowl. "Just do your duties."

Myungsoo's lips curved a little upwards and then he gave a small bow to Sunggyu. "I will be by after you're done with this mortal." He opened a portal door and stepped in, the door closing behind him.

Sunggyu unrolled the scroll that he had been given, reading the contents. He was sort of relieved to realize that this time he wasn’t doing the dirty work of the king per se, but he had to discipline a woman for stealing.

He stepped into his portal door that he summoned and when he stepped out from the other side, he was greeted by an ordinary looking house that sat near a flower bed of wildflowers. It was quaint, homely and breathtaking. It reminded him of his home many many years ago. He had no home now.

He was lost in his thoughts that he almost forgot what he was there for, stuck in his memories. However, that was not what he was there for.

Sunggyu willed the doors to the cabin to open and it swung open. The mortal that was waiting for him looked pathetic--it appeared that she had spotted him before he made his appearance. She stood proudly, looking as if she had done nothing wrong in her life. However, one look at him in the eye made her tremble.

Sunggyu took his time however, watching as the woman trembled as he walked past her. She watched him in silence, her bottom lip beginning to quake and her eyes were filled with many emotions. Most of it that he could discern was fear. Good. He smirked.

She would not meet his eyes. "I believe that you know what I am here for today. What do you have to say for yourself before I begin?"

"I am not guilty of anything that you may be suggesting." She wrung her hands nervously, still not making eye contact.

Classic. Sunggyu sneered.

She was not a good person. Her little misdeeds have accumulated for a long time since the last time he had seen her--he remembered her acutely because he wondered how someone who looked so frail and weak could be so horrible and manipulative.

"If you say so."

An inferno of fire blazed around her and she trembled in shock and fear. She was dying to ask what in the actual hell he was, but she did not ask in fear. She swallowed hard.

"Still insistent that you've done nothing?" he asked, sneering at her.

"I'll speak. Just... please," she hoarsely whispered. He could barely hear her over the roar of his fire. He waved the fire away and they disappeared, one flame in particular hungrily at her ankles and made her shriek in pain. He may control fire but sometimes fire could not be controlled. He put out the adamant fire that wanted to seek something to destroy.

"Speak," Sunggyu commanded, his loud and booming voice made her startled. His eyes narrowed at her.

She shuddered, sweat plastering her long, silky, black hair to her face. "I have been a bad person..." she tripped over her words. “But it was justified.”

“I’m poor but they have everything. I need to eat an feed my children. What would you have done in my situation?”

Sunggyu didn’t want to reply because he had no answer for her. He was following orders. What she did was not right but he found that having him to make time out of his day to punish someone who was just trying to survive was sick. She made the mistake of trying to steal from the king and the king would not stand for it.

“Is it okay to steal?” he decided to ask her in return.

She fell silent. Tears were crowding into her eyes and the world spun around her; everything that she could see was fading.

"Maybe not."

He was also the eyes and ears of the kingdom so he also knew things that most people was not privy to.

"You hit your children for the smallest things; strangled them when they didn't behave. You also stole from those less fortunate than you, not limiting your stealing to nobles, not always because of dire circumstances and not to provide for your children some food to grace the table, but to satisfy your own selfish needs." He gestured at the beautiful jewelry she wore without shame.

She let a sob escape. She daintily wiped away a tear that made its way down her cheek. "I regret."

"But far too late.”

She made no move to disagree.

"You are to be punished." Sunggyu finished and with a wave of a hand and without another peep of a protest from her, she ceased to live, her body toppling over onto the floor of her cabin.

On cue, Myungsoo appeared..

"Do I have someone else to see?" Sunggyu asked. Myungsoo shook his head. "No. You have nothing else to do, sir."

"I suppose I can take off for the day then?"

Myungsoo bit his lips, as if he were thinking of something really hard. He seemed to think better of it, and managed to say, "I guess."

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at the vampire. "Do you have something to tell me?"

Myungsoo said, "Well, I know you really didn't get along with any of your siblings but..." He grimaced when a burst of flames escaped from Sunggyu's palm.

"I will take that as I have no one else to see. You know how to find me."

Sunggyu did not allow another word to escape from his lips and opened a portal door, escaping.

He was greeted be a cool breeze on the other side of the door and as the portal door closed, he was hit with a feeling of serenity that only being by the lakeshore would grant him. He sat down right beside the large willow tree beside the lake, taking in the scenery before him. It was still as beautiful and tranquil as ever.

He sat there in silence, wondering which sibling wanted to see him and what they could possibly want. After all, because they never got along save for one, a long time ago, Sunggyu thought it was strange any of them wanted to meet with him. He brushed the thought aside. There's no use in wondering, since he was sure that whoever it was would come and find

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter