o11

Existence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Do you think that it's such a shame that genuine friendship doesn't exist anymore?" 

"That isn't random at all," Sunggyu snorted as he leisurely crossed his right ankle over his left one, snuggling a bit further into the slightly damp grass that was a healthy green. 

The storm last night served its purpose for the vegetation that was now looking healthier than it had been for the past few weeks. While he shifted slightly because the wet grass making his jeans stick onto his legs felt uncomfortable, he was reminded by the possibility of getting grass stains on his clothes. Sunggyu didn't care much for grass stains because he always wore black. Woohyun on the other hand... well the boy didn’t seem to care. He was literally rolling in the grass back and forth as he mindlessly also stopped for some moments to lay on his side. He played with blades of grass with his left hand as he propped his body up with his right arm whenever he stopped to rest from his non-stop rolling. He was facing Sunggyu now, though they weren't making eye contact, looking every part of a concentrated person that was attempting to form coherent thoughts. He was dressed in a white button-up and light blue jeans and Sunggyu couldn't help but wince slightly at the thought of either piece of clothing getting grass stains. 

The two of them lay lazily on the rolling hills that overlooked their small town as per usual. Without even deciding together in a verbal conversation that it was their favorite meeting spot, it was the unspoken rule that whenever there were no concrete plans for when they hung out, it was to the hills they go. The shade of the large tree that sat at the top always, without fail, provided a cool shade for them from the blistering heat that had swept the area recently. It was definitely the last blast of heat before autumn rolled in. 

Woohyun ignored his comment and continued on with his thoughts. 

"It's just something I've noticed. I just wanted to say it," Woohyun shrugged a little. And because I feel comfortable enough to say it. Woohyun wouldn't have bothered saying this to anyone else that were in their age group. He didn't want people to think he was a teen that was turning seventy next year. He just wanted to test waters and see where Sunggyu stood behind what many people thought were 'boring' or 'traditional'. He knew his other friends wouldn't appreciate a conversation like this--they thought he took life too seriously sometimes. What was wrong with having a long-term goal in life that revolved around financial stability? He was already beginning to save now for everything and anything, something that his friends about.  

But maybe Sunggyu would be different. He was always very nonchalant, and he seemed to be an old soul. Woohyun knew he could trust him innately (but he didn't know why). 

Woohyun stopped his mindless finger work on the grass. "But don't you ever wonder why?" 

Sunggyu just shrugged in response. "Well, I feel like friendship is so abstract. It can be defined in so many different ways depending on the person. So, I guess it really depends on what your definition of friendship is and what it entails." 

Woohyun pondered on what Sunggyu said. He nodded his head, "I guess if you put it that way, then yes, I guess it really depends on what people think is friendship in order for me to say anything, really." 

There was a pause in conversation as a particularly warm breeze blew by, rustling the tree leaves overhead and the surrounding grass, creating a small masterpiece by Nature herself. 

"So, what would you say friendship is?" Woohyun decided to press on. 

Sunggyu took a few moments to respond, his forehead wrinkling slightly as he thought. "I'm not too sure," he finally admitted. "I'm not sure if I had anyone I could really say was a friend." 

"Hm," Woohyun said, scrunching his eyebrows up, frowning a little. "Why not?" 

"I don't know," Sunggyu carelessly replied, not really minding the question and he was just saying what came to mind, to be quite honest. "I just don't think I've ever connected with anyone." 

"But isn't friendship something that has to be built? You can't build connection instantaneously," the more carefree one pointed out. 

"I suppose so," Sunggyu nodded his head, throwing his arms behind his head. "But I think I'm happy with the way my life is going, friendless and all." He gestured lazily with his right hand, then snugly fit it back behind his head. "It might get lonely sometimes but I think I'd rather have no friends than friends that won't be there forever. Or just people I know that won't be able to move around with me." 

Without waiting for Woohyun to ask, Sunggyu continued, "I mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter