o17

Existence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

READ THE EXTENDED NOTE AT THE END OF THIS UPDATE. This is update 2/2 today. I might update tomorrow or the day after.

--

It was so common for Woohyun to be over now, that his mother didn’t even question it when the two of them showed up at his place after school. She had given them both a fond smile that made both of them feel glad to be home, although it technically wasn’t Woohyun’s home.

She cooked three servings of dinner and prepared three bowls of fruit for dessert.

She had then left the two of them alone for their ritual of watching a movie together the nights they had nothing to study for, warning them not to stay up too late, even though it was not a school day the next day.

It felt like a typical evening to Sunggyu, until Woohyun decided to figuratively spill the beans. Honestly, it had almost ruined the night for Sunggyu.

When Sunggyu was told by Woohyun that Ayoung had taken the plunge and asked him out, Sunggyu felt as though he was a fish on land and couldn’t breathe. He had known that Woohyun liked the girl, but he had not expected the girl to like him back, namely because she was difficult to read.

In fact, Sunggyu had almost been certain that Ayoung did not like Woohyun back in that way at all.

He managed to get himself together, however, in order to respond to his friend. Woohyun peered at him curiously, waiting for a response to what he had just revealed.

“Really?” Sunggyu managed to grit out even though he felt as though his airways were collapsing. He carefully managed his expression and asked, “What did you say in response?”

At his question, Woohyun frowned, furrowing his eyebrows. He scratched the bottom of his chin, pensive, “That’s why I told you before I told anyone else…”

He trailed off, “You know, this is what really confuses me.”

They never really talked about it, but most of their friends (except Ayoung herself), knew that Woohyun liked her. Woohyun didn’t exactly announce it to the whole world that he liked her, but the eyes he gave her resembled a lovesick puppy. Sunggyu wasn’t exactly close to any of Woohyun’s other friends (and he didn’t particularly like some of them too), but it was obvious that they knew. They always seemed to be giving each other knowing looks when the two of them interacted.

His heart was racing, although it did not seem like it, if anyone were to be watching from the sidelines.

“What is confusing you?” Sunggyu asked, placing a piece of pineapple, Woohyun’s favourite fruit, into his fruit bowl. Woohyun graciously accepted it, knowing that Sunggyu found that they tasted weird.

It was a strangely intimate way of getting along for Woohyun especially, but he never really commented on it. Sunggyu was attentive and knew more than he let on, which made Woohyun appreciate him a lot.

“Well, I’m not sure if I really thought this through,” Woohyun admitted, chewing thoughtfully on the pineapple that was gifted to him by Sunggyu. He didn’t bother thanking the other teen because he was used to receiving pineapples from him and it was now almost a habit that they shared. They gave each other foods on their plates that they didn’t like eating. “I told her I needed to think about it because I’m not sure if I’m in the right place to be in a relationship.”

Although Woohyun didn’t share all of his worries with Sunggyu, he was easy to read.

Recently, Sunggyu could tell that his life at home was rocky at best. Woohyun didn’t know this, but Sunggyu noticed on the rare occasions that he went over to his place, that his mother was never around. Even if she were, they often were left to their own devices in a way that Sunggyu could only describe as a limited interest in Woohyun’s wellbeing.

Sunggyu nodded his head slowly, popping a strawberry into his mouth and chewing. He could barely taste the fruit, given how uncomfortable he felt.

The strawberries that had previously tasted scrumptious had slowly become bitter to his taste buds. Woohyun was not to blame for being oblivious to his feelings. They were just friends, as far as Woohyun knew. He also had no idea how Woohyun would react if he confessed his feelings for him that had been slowly building to a crescendo that did not seem to show any signs of stopping its growth.

He was also too scared to even try to know.

He only had himself to blame if Woohyun were to slip away like this—he was overly cautious, scared, and didn’t want to act out when the time wasn’t right.

But will the time ever be right?

Woohyun looked over and studied Sunggyu carefully, who had gone noticeably pale. “What’s wrong?”

Sunggyu swallowed, managing an uncomfortable smile to make it seem like nothing was wrong, “Nothing.”

Woohyun finished up his bowl of fruits and deposited it onto the coffee table, plopping over on the couch in a manner that would have mildly annoyed Sunggyu any other time. This time around, Sunggyu was feeling like he would throw up any second now, because he had no idea how to take the news. “I need advice. What should I do?”

Silence was the immediate response.

“Do what you think is right,” Sunggyu replied simply, after mulling over his words. He gave him a small smile that spoke a thousand words but also nothing at all, “Just make sure you don’t regret it.”

Says you, you hypocrite.

Woohyun just groaned in response, realizing that he was not going to get a definite answer from the other teenager. “Why can’t life be easy?”

To that, Sunggyu had very little to say, though he agreed.

The two of them sat in pensive silence as Woohyun thought long and hard, evident by the way he was studying the very boring ceiling above him. Sunggyu, on the other hand, dreaded the silence and continued eating the last of the fruits in the bowl. He always left strawberries last because they were his favourite, but they didn’t taste like the tangy sweetness they usually were.

Then, Woohyun abruptly sat up, a confident and sure expression on his face. There was a hint of uncertainty, but based on what Sunggyu could see, he had already made up his mind some time ago and just needed some reassurance of some sort.

And Sunggyu had unknowingly provided it.

“I’m going to say yes to her,” Woohyun exclaimed confidently, jumping up from the couch. He rummaged through his school bag that had been propped up against the couch, looking for his phone. He often had it away when he was over, just because he had a habit of living in the moment and storing his phone away when he was hanging out with others. “I’m going to call her and tell her so um, why don’t you pick something for us to watch?”

Sunggyu felt a pang in his heart upon hearing those words, but he on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter