Discoveries

Almost Human

'Dude your flat is like the cleanest place I've ever been! Are you sure you and Jungkook really live here?'

Was the first thing his best friend of 11 long (and suffering, on Yoongi's part) years said when he and Yoongi stepped into his flat a days later.

Yoongi rolled his eyes, preparing to make a snide remark when Jimin walked up to them holding what Yoongi suspected to be a pair of Jungkook's (hopefully clean) pants.

'Good morning, Yoongi' Jimin said with a smile.

'Um hi' Yoongi gestured between his friend and Jimin. 'Jimin, Namjoon, Namjoon, Jimin'

Namjoon raised his eyebrow at his friend.

'Wait so since when did-'

'Since yesterday' Yoongi interrupted.

He looked back at Jimin who was looking between the two friends intently with his (now) green eyes.

'How may I be of assistance, Yoongi?' Jimin asks as he sees Yoongi looking at him.

'You should probably put those away for a start maybe...' Yoongi indicated to the pants in Jimin's hands.

For a split second Jimin's face contorted into a frown as he looked at the pants, which he was now holding almost gingerly in his hands.

He straightened up and the slight grimace is gone.

'Of course Yoongi' He walks away leaving Yoongi and Namjoon staring after him.

'Dude... Are they like supposed to act like that?' Namjoon asks after Jimin had disappeared around the corner.

'They're programmed to be 'all obeying' or some ...'

'No I mean the weird spazz attack he had over those pants! Don't tell me you didn't see him like fully cringe over them?'

Yoongi hesitated. Of course he had noticed the action, and along with the name slip up the day before Jimin had had roughly 12 'moments'.

They were all only for less than a second and usually only caused by something Jimin had a strong emotional response to. Which should be impossible since he was a Synth programmed to have no emotional responses of any kind.

Yoongi had googled Jimin's symptoms in the hope of finding a quick solution.

However he had found nothing on the web, which either meant this was a one-of-a-kind anomaly or the other cases of this kind had been hidden by the owner or company.

The simple solution would be to call the company and ask for a new model. But Yoongi had already grown attached to Jimin, and the glitches that made him seem almost human for a split second only deepened his interest in him.

'Yeah I've noticed... And I was wondering if you could help me figure out what it is?'

If Namjoon's shocked expression was anything to go by, that was the last thing he expected to come out if Yoongi's mouth.

Namjoon had wanted to be a musician when he was a kid. He and Yoongi had even met at Piano Lessons held at their school. Namjoon was a year younger than him, and had still managed to perfect all of the pieces their teacher set out for them to learn way quicker than Yoongi. So their friendship had started off rocky (if you class Yoongi shoving Namjoon off a small rock in their playground counts as 'rocky').

Fast forward a year and Namjoon had given up on piano, leaving Yoongi to be the best in his year and the whole school. Once he turned 11, however, he lost interest in the instrument and it sat in the attic collecting dust.

As they grew up they became closer and closer despite the year . And when Namjoon was accepted into the leading Synth manufactory in Korea, he had been just as excited as his friend.

Namjoon quickly became the leading engineer at the factory and was often sworn to secrecy about the new models they were designing or making. Which he, obviously, told Yoongi all about in great unnecessary detail.

'I um... How can I help?' Namjoon asks dumbfounded.

Yoongi scoffed.

'Are you going to have another self depreciating speech about how you're 'not that good of an engineer' and don't deserve to be the highest ranked guy at the company and-'

'Okay okay I get it you can stop that...' Blushing furiously Namjoon coughs slightly. 'What I meant is how can I figure out what's wrong with your Synth? Looks to me like he's malfunctioned or something and you'll just have to return him...'

'I know... But don't you think it's at least a little bit interesting that there's no reported issues of this kind any where? Aren't you at least a little bit curious?'

'I mean... Of course but it feels like we're gonna mess with something we have no right to mess with..'

Yoongi grinned and winked at his friend.

'Sounds brilliant'

Several hours later and Namjoon had explained to Yoongi how he'd try to look into Jimin's database in a way that the company wont be able to monitor.

'Because if they can detect that someone's messing with the internal in these Synths they'll send out someone to check it out... Or worse-'

'Expelled?' Jungkook's voice sounded from the hallway. 'Is that Namjoon's beautiful low dulcet tones I hear?'

'Jungkook stop trying to flirt with my best friend' Yoongi called back, rolling his eyes at Namjoon. 'Or worse what?'

'Or worse they'll override my 'hacking' and turn him off...'

'So... How do we stop them from doing that..?'

'By going into incognito mode'

'Ew are you guys going to watch weird together in incognito mode?' Jungkook scrunched up his nose as he flopped onto the sofa beside Namjoon.

'Yes' Yoongi said in a flat tone whilst Namjoon spluttered a slightly squeaky 'No!'.

'What're you doin' then?' Jungkook asked looking between the two. 'People may think you're... Up to something...'

'If you quote Harry Potter one more time, Jungkook, I swear to God-'

'We're gonna try to see what's wrong with Jimin' Namjoon blurts out, receiving a glare from Yoongi. 'Sorry Yoongs you know I'm terrible at lying'

'Wait what?' Jungkook frowned and looked around the room. 'Where is he what's wrong with him?'

'He's in the garden hanging up your dirty underwear' Yoongi hesitated before continuing. 'And he.. Um he keeps glitching or something...'

'Glitching..?'

'Yeah like showing emotions when he's been programmed to be emotionless' Namjoon piped up.

Jungkook's frown turned into a look of shock.

'You know I did notice those things but I just thought it was a quirk of the new models?'

Yoongi and Namjoon shook their heads.

'Namjoon's gonna go into his database or something... I don't know ask him to explain it' Yoongi stood up and stretched. 'I'll go get our 'patient''

Namjoon snorted as Yoongi left the room.

Jimin was still in the garden hanging up their washing. Yoongi watched his slow robotic actions, his face pulled into a relaxed expression instead of his usual blinding smile.

Yoongi cleared his throat as he stepped outside.

Jimin turned to Yoongi and his usual smile sprung onto his face.

'Yoongi! I am just finishing hanging up you and Jungkook's washing.' He held up his hand which contained one of Jungkook's Iron Man socks. 'How may I be of assistance?'

'I need to... Um we need to... You need to come inside...' Yoongi stuttered, unsure why the android made him so nervous.

Maybe it was because they were about to basically perform an operation on him. Yoongi had to shake the dirty feeling and remind himself that Jimin was just a machine.

Jimin followed Yoongi inside to where Namjoon and Jungkook were still on the sofa.

'Um we've got the cable so we just need to power him off and plug him into my laptop...' Namjoon waved the said cable into Yoongi's face.

Yoongi nods before turning to Jimin.

'We're just going to power you off and um see what's wrong with you'

'My systems haven't detected anything is wrong with me, Yoongi.'

'I know but... We just need to do this, okay?'

Jimin's smile didn't waver as he nodded.

Namjoon handed the cable to Yoongi who placed it into the socket on Jimin's side.

He reached his hand up to his chin to power him off when a hand grabbed him.

'It wont ...h-hurt will it?'

It was Jimin who spoke, his eyes wild and scared looking. His voice was quieter than usual and he stuttered as he held Yoongi's wrist in a firm grasp.

Yoongi gaped at Jimin.

'Um... No it- it wont hurt you'll be ok... ' Yoongi gently pulled Jimin's hand from his wrist before tapping his chin.

Jimin's face relaxed as he shut is eyes and Namjoon plugged the other end of the cable into his laptop.

'Ok so I'm in incognito mode in his database... Everything looks normal so far though so I really don't know why he wou-'

Namjoon broke off, staring at his laptop screen intently.

'What? What is it?!' Yoongi ran round to look at the laptop screen.

It was full of lines of coding that meant nothing to Yoongi or Jungkook, but had Namjoon gawping.

'This... I've never seen this code of data before...'

'So? I'm sure they're making new lines of data every day right?'

'No you- you don't understand this line of code isn't even in the same code language as the rest!' Namjoon pointed at the middle of the screen where a string of strange symbols lay against the letters and numbers of the other lines.

He began scrolling through the system, pausing every so often to point out more lines of data in the strange symbols.

'This is /impossible/!' He exclaimed as he reached a large block of text made in the language. 'It's like someone has added these little bits of this coding to completely change how he acts!'

'So... It's a part of him then?' Yoongi asks, glancing over at Jimin's still form. 'There's no way of removing it right?'

Namjoon shook his head.

'No, these bits of code are actually a part of the rest of the code... And it even looks like some of that code has began to replace the other? As if it's rewriting his whole pre made coding?'

As if to prove his point, the coding on screen began to change from it's numbers to the strange symbols as if someone were typing it.

The three men glanced at each other in shock before turning to look at Jimin.

'We couldn't just have had a normal Synth could we?' Jungkook asked rhetorically.

The others hummed in agreement, still sat in shock.

Namjoon closed the program and unplugged Jimin from his laptop.

'I'm going to... Do some research. I need to find out what this is' Yoongi opened his mouth to interrupt, but Namjoon just continued. 'I wont tell anyone at work. I have a feeling that this isn't something they'll take lightly to...'

Yoongi nodded before slowly getting up and walking towards Jimin. He pauses before tapping his chin.

Jimin looks at Yoongi for a second before smiling.

'Hello Yoongi. How may I be of assistance?'


a/n - i know the eyes were blue in chap 1 but in the show they change to green wen theyre 'bonded'...

this is only loosely based on the show so it doesnt matter if you havent watched it lol

 

hope u enjoyyyy