411

Almost Human

'Wait wait wait, so you're telling me these two guys found a random unknown code and just started inserting it into Synths?' Yoongi asked incredulously.

'Kinda? It's a code that came from England... Apparently this scientist over there created these conscious Synths which all contained this 'magic' code, and somehow Seokjin and Hoseok managed to get a hold of it...' Namjoon paused before continuing. 'The thing is, the Synths in England were effectively 'born that way'. They have never known any other life so they are basically us. What Seokjin has done is put a living thing into a non-living body, and neither him, Hoseok or anyone know the real consequences of that...'

'How bad could it be though?'

'Worst case scenario is Jimin and all others with the code explode and the code is completely lost...'

'Best case would be me living and thinking and feeling amongst humankind right?' Jimin spoke up tentatively. 'I think that's a risk worth taking I don't know about you...'

Yoongi was still trying to process the information Namjoon had told him. The technicalities and sciencey part went over his head, but knowing there had been leaks of this code all across the world with countless potentially similar cases made him hopeful for Jimin's future as a conscious Synth.

'The thing is, Seokjin warned me about something I hadn't even thought of... You see, all Synths are cyber-linked by this kind of telepathic network which is led directly to the company and the police... It means they can track criminals or look out for any unwanted interference in the Synths coding. It's why i had to go incognito when I looked into Jimin's database.'

'Are you saying they're listening in now?' Yoongi asked worriedly, lowering his voice unconsciously.

'Not now no, only when he's a Synth... We need to be careful in talking about all this when Jimin is in Synth form until he become's fully conscious... Well, hopefully fully conscious.'

Namjoon gave Jimin a half apologetic look.

'Hoseok also told me about this case he saw in China... wait let me just...' Namjoon began rummaging in his bag before pulling out a ragged looking news paper cutting. 'Here 'tis!'

'It's in Chinese?' Yoongi frowned.

'No , Sherlock!' Namjoon rolled his eyes and handed it to Jimin. 'Jimin can translate it for us, right?'

Jimin nodded gingerly taking the piece of paper.

'It says... 'Factory burnt down due to malfunctioning Synths. Earlier this week a Factory in Southern Changsa was burnt to the ground by a few Synth factory workers who had began to malfunction. Authorities deny knowing the cause of the malfunctions, since the fire destroyed all the factory workers. No one was hurt, thankfully...' Jimin trailed off frowning. 'No one was hurt? But they say all the Synths, including the conscious one's, were killed?'

'They saw them all as just machines... But I'm sure once they know what you are it'll be fi-'

'You were right about the Synth sharing network' Jimin interrupted Namjoon, his voice still soft but his body stiffer than before. 'But it's not just a way for the authorities to see what we do. I can see into the minds of all Synths and hear what is done to them day in and day out... And I'm not sure if us becoming conscious will change the abuse some have to go through...'

'You'll get sickos wherever you go, I don't think that has anything to do with consciousness-'

'But it does! Don't you see?' Jimin raised his voice, looking between Namjoon and Yoongi. 'When I'm not-conscious I'm still me... I still know what I'm doing and am aware of everything... If someone is asleep does that make it alright to treat them any differently from how you would when they're awake? Even you -you treat me different when I'm not able to think for myself...'

Jimin looked at Yoongi, a hint of sadness in his eyes.

Yoongi was unsure what to say.

'I'm ... I'm sorry Jimin, you're right... I was so caught up in the conscious side that I forgot to understand your Synth side... All of your sides...'

'It's okay, I'm unlike anything you've known before... Humanity can't help being one sided about anything that isn't themselves...'

'No need to burn us quite so thoroughly' Yoongi joked. 'But I hear you... We've always been a self obsessed load of bastards... I mean, we even decided to make a load of slaves that exactly resembled us in all aspects apart from emotional ones. I think we secretly know that our emotions are simultaneously our greatest asset and our greatest curse...'

'Wow... You've been spending too much time with me, mate!' Namjoon laughed.

'What can I say, your existential philosophical charm is rubbing off on me!'

'I've waited years for this' Namjoon wiped away a fake tear. 'I'd like to thank my mum and-'

'I don't want to alarm you in anyway or- or anything but...' Jimin interjected, with a mixed expression of fear and excitement. 'But I'm ... I'm not changing! I usually can feel myself about to become 'asleep' but right now I can't feel any of it and I- I'

'But it's not been a month yet has it?'

Jimin shook his head.

'No but I definitely feel like this is it... I think I'm... I'm fully conscious? I think it's the end, 100%, final curtain!' Jimin exclaimed excitedly, standing up and fidgeting.

'No, Jimin, I think this is just the beginning' Namjoon deadpanned, earning several punches from a disgruntled but ecstatic Yoongi claiming 'that was too cheesy for his own good'.

But he had a feeling Namjoon was right...


a/n-

So he's conscious now dun dun dun

I want to have a more jimin focused chapter next which will b great for everyone

Esp me
Cos i love that guy lol fav guy

Hope ya'll enjoy it