New Information

Almost Human

When Namjoon had said his science friend was a weirdo, frankly Yoongi expected someone a lot worse.

Taehyung was a little strange, and his deep voice didn't match the boyish face, but he overall seemed mostly sane and he had a nice smile.

Yoongi trusted people with nice smiles.

The weirdest thing about the man was how he spent a good 15 minutes talking at Yoongi about the possibility of alien life and what that means for humanity before he realised he hadn't introduced himself.

'The name's Taehyung, Kim Taehyung.' He gave Yoongi a slight wink before holding out his hand. 'You must be the guy with the glitchy Synth'

'Um yeah, I suppose I am?'

'Great! So Namjoon told me all about it, and at first I had no clue what he was talking about because, you know, he'll go off onto talking about some random crap and I'll have switched of 3 hours ago but in this case when he mentioned the strange coding and the emotional responses I had to be like 'hang on a second' because I'm pretty sure I've heard of a case like this before so I went digging around in Synth Headquarters records, because even if they were hiding something they are obligated to write it down and found several papers on cases exactly like yours.' Taehyung stopped his stream of words to pull out a few documents.

He handed one to Yoongi entitled 'Synth case 3 of W Malfunction'.

'This is actually a new case' Taehyung continued, tapping the document in Yoongi's hand. 'It basically says this factory Synth began to start glitching and they brought it back to the laboratory and discovered that most of the original coding had been replaced with this new coding that they had never seen before. I think that def freaked the guys out so they destroyed that Synth about a week ago and come to think of it I did think it was odd that they destroyed a perfectly good Synth but what management wants done management does you know but-'

'But how does this help us with Jimin?' Yoongi interrupts Taehyung's rambling.

'Well, this is where this case comes into play' He held out an older looking case file, the edges of it ratty and covered in smudges of ink. 'This was 5 years ago when they first started making the model that's most common today. This case says that this one Synth began to change in its behaviour and the code thing. But with this one they let it carry on for several months, monitoring it's every mood. They even did some video tapes of it whilst it was locked up I'll try to get them to show you. Anyway, so a few months pass and the Synth no longer glitches at all. Nothing internally or externally is broken, and it's as good as new. But get this, the Synth was now 100% feeling.'

Taehyung let his statement hang in the air for a second before he realised Yoongi was staring at him confusedly.

'What I mean is that it was a Synth, with all the robotics and electronics stuff, but it could feel and think like a human! It had become a conscious Synth!'

Yoongi's eyes widened in understanding.

'So- so you think that Jimin is gonna turn into that? He's gonna become conscious?'

'Perhaps! The company only have the one case where the Synth became conscious. The other cases were either terminated after a few weeks or they sorta... Blew up...' Taehyung coughed awkwardly. 'But I mean they probs only did that because humans interfered with them...'

'So... All I have to do it wait right? Wait to see if it happens?'

Taehyung nodded.

'Although you need to be careful, the company will be on high alert if they can detect anything slightly wrong with him and will take him away...'

'Why are they so against the conscious Synths? Surely it's some kind of miracle right? I mean, it's practically like we've made real conscious human life?'

'It's because they're scared... Any type of labour force that becomes aware of themselves and their own oppression, especially one on the scale of Synths is bound to cause some fear amongst the elite.'

'You sounded just like Namjoon there, but I hear you.' Yoongi took a deep breath, trying to process all that he'd been told. 'I just need to wait for Jimin to supposedly go full conscious, all the while making sure not to let the Synth company know... Simple right?'

Yoongi smiled weakly as Taehyung gave him a wide grin.

'Yup'

Once he had returned home, Yoongi told Jungkook everything Taehyung had told him.

'Do we have to like make him conscious though? Wouldn't it be easier for everyone to just hand him in?' Jungkook groaned.

'And let them destroy what is potentially a miracle of man-made life? Look, I may not be a science nut like that Taehyung guy but I can appreciate when there's something revolutionary in our hands...' Yoongi sighed.

'What will the company do if they find out we're... Harbouring a fugitive?' Jungkook said frantically.

Yoongi snorted.

'He's hardly a fugitive, Kook, plus they wont find out... As long as we're careful...'

'But what if whatever is happening to Jimin spreads to the other Synths, and slowly but surely we get replaced by immortal robots and human life and existence becomes meaningless?!'

'Why has everyone started taking lessons from the Namjoon-dictionary all of a sudden? Now is /not/ the time to be existential, Kook.'

Yoongi sighed again and rubbed his temples.

'We just need to wait and see what'll happen... Namjoon and Taehyung are continuing trying to research why or how this could've happened abd we just keep an eye on Jimin, ok?'

Jungkook nodded in reluctant acceptance.

Yoongi understood his discomfort, neither of them had ever put a foot wrong from any form of law in their lives (unless you count the time Yoongi was 4 and stole a small bar of chocolate from their local supermarket).

But there was something thrilling in knowing they were the only ones to know of what Jimin was capable of being, even if it felt slightly illegal.

Yoongi's phone chose that moment to ring, startling him from his thoughts.

Without checking the caller id he answered.

'Hello?'

'Hello Yoongi dear, it's your mother... Just calling to ask how the Synth I got you and your brother is doing?'

Yoongi gulped; lying to the government or Synth company was one thing, but lying to his mother...?


a/n _ did u guess right #lol

things'll get more interesting soon promise