Begin

Almost Human

'It's here!'

Yoongi squints at the bright light filtering through the curtains as the screech of his brothers voice reaches his ears.

'Hyung! Hyung! Hurry!'

Groaning, he rubs his eyes and slowly gets up from the sofa where he had been napping.

Grumbling to himself, he heads towards the front door where his brother was bouncing on the balls of his feet, practically bubbling with excitement.

'What?' Yoongi grunted, annoyed that anyone dared to be happy when he was still sleep deprived.

'It's here!' His brother repeated, pointing towards a large box that stood in the doorway.

Yoongi eyed the box wearily before taking a step towards it.

'Synthetic Model 2.4' He read from the label printed on the box (the mysteriously human sized box). 'Wait is this..?'

'The synth mum bought us because, and I quote, 'We need someone to make our flat look less like a pig sty because we're both too messy and lazy for our own goods'? Yes, yes it is'

They both stood in silence for a moment, neither daring to make the first move.

Eventually Yoongi cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

'Um.. We should probably open it right?'

His brother only nodded, giving no indication he'd help Yoongi in the process.

Yoongi started to pull the brown tape off of the box with his fingers, but immediately began to struggle as the tape refused to budge from the cardboard.

A good five minutes passed until his brother tutted loudly and wondered off only to return with a pair of scissors.

Yoongi mumbled his thank you's embarrassedly before he began to hack at the tape.

He glanced wearily at his brother, who had an equally anxious expression, before he finally opened the front of the box like a door.

See, this was a world where the Human Race lived along side Androids called Synthetics. The creation of Synths many years before had lead to many controversies, and many people had been reluctant to accept them into their lives. But at the present, there was rarely any place where there are no Synths.

Humans accepted the Synths into their busy schedules to sort out menial tasks like washing, cleaning or cooking. And there was never a complaint from the Androids, all of which had been programmed to obey their 'bonded owner'.

If you would've told Yoongi just 3 years ago his parents would one day buy him a Synth to sort out his flat, he would've laughed in your face. Back then only the extremely rich could afford them. Nowadays, so many had been made that it was possible for practically everyone to afford them (bar perhaps the homeless... Although they may not have the desperate need for a house helper...).

Yoongi stood face to face with his Synth. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and looked at his brother with wide eyes.

Synths had been made, of course, in the human image. Although they were often slimmer, flawless and more beautiful then any ordinary human. Even their skin was so similar to human it would be hard to tell them apart if it weren't for their vacant expressions and bright green eyes.

Yoongi's brother pushed him aside to look at the synth and whistled softly.

'Damn, I know they're all made to be gorgeous but... /damn/'

'Jungkook!' Yoongi frowned, nudging his brother in the side. 'Don't objectify it... Him'

'But it is an object, Hyung'

Yoongi shrugged and turned his attention back to the Synth.

Jungkook was right, it (he) was seriously beautiful. His eyes were closed as if he were sleeping. There was not a single crease or line in the smooth and flawless pale golden skin, yet it didn't look fake or plastic like the early Synth models had. Black hair hung in a centre parting against his forehead and rested on soft and slightly rounded cheeks. A small button nose was followed by possibly the most beautiful lips Yoongi had seen on anyone.

Yoongi cleared his throat discretely, looking around the Synth in the box to find the instructions.

He pulled out a small manual, and flicked through it before shoving it at his brother.

'Read it out loud so I know what I'm doing'

Jungkook groaned but began to read from the book.

'... Once you've received your Synthetic make sure to check the model for any damage marks as they can get knocked about in the delivery process and we want you to get the ultimate satisfaction out of your Synthetic. Blah blah blah stuff about warranty and returns policy...'

Yoongi rolled his eyes as he began to ease the Synth out of the box with great difficulty.

It seems that the makers had not only made sure to make the Synths look like humans but also made sure they were just aw goddamn heavy.

'...After removing your Synthetic from it's box make sure to have the primary user directly in front of it for set up as the two will need to be bonded to prevent the Synth from getting los- Need any help there, Hyung?'

Yoongi heard the grin in Jungkook's voice as he grumbled a slight yes after he had been trying to use his whole body to get the synth out of the box, only to push it further inside.

Even with Jung 'I-exercise-everyday-and-probably-have-and-eight-pack' Kook's help, it took them a good few minutes to get the Synth out.

'Ok so make sure your in front of it'

'Got it' Yoongi stood directly in front of the Synth, who looked even more impossibly attractive out if the box.

'Now you need to touch the bottom of his chin to turn his on and- oh we need a charger.'

Jungkook began to scramble around in the box for the charger cable before plugging it into the socket and handing Yoongi the other end.

Yoongi stared dumbfounded at the wire for a bit before starting to search the Synth for some kind of plug hole. In his search his hand brushed against the Synths chin and an electronic jingle startled both brothers.

Yoongi yanked his hand away as he was met with a pair of piercing blue eyes.

As the Synth processes Yoongi standing in front of him, his face pulls into the biggest smile possible. His eyes crinkle at the edges, lips pulled wide to reveal a set of perfect pearly whites.

Jungkook stood frozen behind the Synth looking at Yoongi.

'Um' Was all Yoongi could get out before he held out the charger wire to the Synth.

'You will need to charge me before we can begin the set up process.' The Synth said in a light but emotionless voice.

Yoongi was taken aback for a second, having expected a much more robotic voice. The Synth had a soft and high pitched melodic voice, which simultaneously contradicted and matched it's face.

'Oh um where.. Where do I..?' Yoongi muttered holding the cable closer to the Synths face. The Synth moved it's eyes to look at the wire before turning his attention back to Yoongi and smiling even wider (if that was even possible).

'My charging plug is located along my left side. That's my left, your right'

Yoongi was sure the Synth added the last bit in as he had leant towards the Synths left side.

Yoongi pulled the grey shirt up slightly on his right and saw a small plug socket that looked totally out of place from the realistic looking skin. With shaky fingers, he put the charger into the socket before looking back up at the Synths face.

'Thank you.' The Synth said in the same warm tone as before, the smile still etched onto its face. 'We can now begin the start up process'

Yoongi looked expectantly at Jungkook, who gave him a bemused look before picking up the instructions again.

'Um so now you need to tell it your name, them it's name before you can fully go into like privacy settings or something'

Yoongi frowned and rolled his eyes at his brother, who had clearly just skimmed through the instructions.

He looked back at the Synth, who was watching his every move in a slightly disconcerting way.

'Um ok... So my name's Yoongi and I suppose I'm your primary user...?'

'Hello Yoongi, what name preference would you like? I have several already listed in my database but am happy to accept any you may wish'

'Um... What one's do you have listed?' Yoongi asked awkwardly.

'Taehyung, Seokjin, Hoseok and Namjoon, Sehun, Kyungsoo or perhaps if you preferred Western names? David, Sean, Peter, Michael-'
'Um that's um fine... We'll just think of something else' Yoongi interrupted, sending his best death glares to Jungkook who had been giggling at the Synths stream of names. 'Do you have any preference...?'

Yoongi knew that Synths weren't programmed to have any personal preferences, but he couldn't help himself since the Synth looked so much like a human.

'Jimin' The Synth said suddenly and slightly louder, a flicker of ... something appearing on his face. But as quickly as it happened the wide grin was back and the Synth's voice returned to normal. 'I have no preferences for a name and am happy with any one my primary user may choose for me'

Yoongi and Jungkook exchanged a confused look, wondering if perhaps it just had a glitch in the system because it was a new model.

'Um we then ... Your name will be ... Jimin?' Yoongi said hesitantly, waiting for another reaction to the name.

None came, and instead the Synth held out its hand to Yoongi.

'Hello Yoongi, My name is now Jimin'

Yoongi took the hand and was surprised by how soft, warm and /real/ it felt.

Yoongi knew that somehow nothing would be the same after that day, and that wouldn't be just because their flat would be much cleaner...


a/n _ not proof read yet oops

hope u enjoy it thoughhhh