Chapter Thirteen

Uneasy Hearts Weigh the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

White lights, white walls, white curtians, white linen, she knew this area. The bright lights blinded her as she slowly opened her eyes to the hospital room. The sound of her heart on the monitor sang like a broken record. She looked to her side and saw Simon sitting and staring at the picture of them. She saw the quiet tears stream down his face as he gripped her hand a little harder.

"Remember when that kid asked you out when you were by the playground. You rejected him so he tried to hit you. You punched him in the nose so hard the kid had to get 2 surgeries. I was so proud of you. Dad was mad and mom gave you a fist bump under the table. I never told you, but I knew dad was up to something weird. He would take me on some of his meetings and told me to play with this kid. That's the kid who you beat the crap out of the other day. I never in a million years thought he would do that to you and mom. I am so sorry Sorin. I am so sorry I wasnt there for you as a big brother, that I never looked for you, that you had to face the world on your own. I have a lot to make up for and I will spend every day trying to do that. " Simon spoke softly.

"I should have hit him more than once." Sorin said with a raspy voice. Simon stood up and then engulfed her in a hug and started sobbing.

"Dont you ever scare me like that again. I will kill you myself, then bring you back, just to do it again." Simon whined. Sorin gave small taps on his back to soothe him. He reached for the call button to let the nurses know they were needed. A short nurse walked in and began smiling then picked up her phone to call the doctor.

Several moments later, the elderly doctor hobbled in with a smile on his face.

"Hello, welcome back my dear. Can you tell me your full name and date of birth?"

Sorin recited it back to him.

"Good, now can you move your fingers and toes?"

Sorin did both tasks.

"Please follow the light with your eyes." The doctor flashed the light over both pupils and had her follow his finger with his eyes.

"Now last but not least, are you in any pain?" The doctor said with a kind smile.

"Does being deprived of spaghetti count as pain, becasue if so then that is a yes." Sorin said with a light smile.

The doctor laughed and instructed the nurse to have the cafeteria bring up some spaghetti. Sorin the tv and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter