Strawberry boy

kookmin (jikook) one shots

By now Jungkook had learned to find comfort in the light tinkling of the cake shop’s wind chimes. Mrs. Kwang had installed them claiming that they gave the shop a lighter feel, and he couldn't agree more. The melodies of the gems clinking together made it really feel like summer, and in their harmony, his eleven year old mind could wonder.

“Wow. That looks good.” 

Jungkook looked up from where he was seated behind the counter, gaze travelling up to the older woman in front of him, before returning to the plate in his hand. He pursed his lips, taking in the curves of the icing he’d just decorated his cake slice with. Mrs. Kwang was nice enough to let him ice his own cakes, and she even claimed that when he got better she might let him design ones for the customers.  

“Thanks.” He mumbled, frowning at the uneven lines of his design. Mrs. Kwang chuckled, noticing his dissatisfaction.

“I think it's fine. That's some skilled hands you've got there.” She assured, and Jungkook sighed, dropping the platter by his side. He wasn't necessarily a huge fan of sweets, but he enjoyed decorating the cake slices and As a result didn't mind having to eat them. During the summer the shop was rarely ever full anyways, so it didn't really matter how much he decided to eat. It was really the only thing he could do here anyways.

“Oh my. That looks really nice Jungkook.”

Jungkook looked up once again, face stoic at the excited look the lady before him was sending his way. Hari, that was her name if he remembered correctly. According to Mrs. Kwang she'd only been hired a couple months ago due to sudden rise in business. Jungkook kind of wished he'd been there, he wondered what the shop looked like when it was busy. But of course he was only ever here in the summer. It wasn't a routine at first, but after all that had been going on back home, it seemed like it'd stay that way for a while. It was a good thing Mrs. Kwang was close to his parents. He didn't think he could handle having to spend summer at Seoul through all that.

“Ya, she just complimented you. A thank you would be nice.”

Jungkook looked away from the doorway of the kitchen where as usual, Myungho was poking his head through the kitchen hatch. Of course he'd picked up on the other man’s sudden change of behavior whenever Hari was around. He supposed since all his time was always spent in the shop, he didn't really get much time to socialize, something that was greatly evident in his sour character. Perhaps Hari's presence was good for him.

“Thank you.” He mumbled and Hari smiled back. She was nice. Despite only knowing her for the few days he'd been here for the summer, he knew he'd like her.

A ding, all too familiar to Jungkook’s ears, cut through the room. It was already late in the afternoon, and this would be their 9th customer today.

“Oh my! If it isn't our favorite customer.”

Jungkook frowned at Mrs. Kwang’s exclamation. He thought he was her favorite customer...but then again he got everything for free, so he doubted he counted as an actual customer.

A giggle was the only answer that he heard and he scoffed, imagining a little girl and her parents had just walked in. Much to his surprise however, he didn't hear the practiced, almost monotonous tone he associated with adults when they ordered, however, a high voice- definitely a girl- was what he heard.

“The usual please.” The voice stringed, almost too sweet for his liking. Hari who'd been cleaning the opposite counter suddenly piped up.

“Ah Jimin! Is that you?”

“Good evening Noona.”

Jungkook’s frown deepened. Noona? The high voice couldn't possibly belong to a guy could it? Hari’s face brightened and even Myungho seemed to soften a little. Curiosity took over in his mind, and determined to know who this “favorite customer” was, Jungkook peeked up. 

Through the glass casing of the cake displays, he could only see what appeared to be a blue and white striped shirt with two small hands pressed against the glass. The features of whoever lay beyond couldn't be seen clearly as only the bottom half of his face was below counter.

So Jungkook stood up, deciding he might as well get a full look.

Mrs. Kwang had already disappeared into the kitchen to get was Jungkook assumed was the ‘usual’, and upon fully standing, he found himself alone with two twinkling brown eyes staring back at him and a bed of pink hair. 

Jungkook frowned. Pink hair. When he'd asked his parents if he could die his hair blue last year, his mother had answered with “responsible kids don't dye their hair.” Since Jungkook considered himself to be the epitome of responsible, he hadn't asked again.

Plus there was also the fact that pink and brown eyes were all he could see. Jungkook took pride in the fact that he was a full head taller than the display counter, and he couldn't help puffing his chest out with pride when the pink haired boy had to tiptoe to allow the rest of his face to come into view.

“Hi.”

Jungkook had to blink twice to realize that he'd just been addressed. He parted his lips, the words “hey” almost slipping past them before Mrs. Kwang returned.

“Here you go sweetheart.” She cooed, placing the usual pink cake box on the counter. Jungkook tried to peek inside, but Jimin was too quick, taking the box almost immediately after it made contact with the counter.

“A strawberry sponge cake with strawberry icing and extra strawberries at the side.” Mrs. Kwang recited. Jimin grinned, looking pleased, and Jungkook tried not to gape. 

That was a lot of strawberry.

“Thank you.” Jimin piped, bowing to the older woman before taking a curious peek at Jungkook. Mrs. Kyung, noticing the look, chuckled, placing a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder.

“This is the one and only Jungkook I've been telling you about.” She voiced and Jungkook’s eyes widened. What did she mean “telling him about?”. 

“Woah, really?”

Jungkook turned back to face Jimin who was looking much too impressed.

“You're Jungkook?” He asked.

“I'm Jimin. Mrs. Kwang says you're really good at decorating cakes. She calls you her summertime assistant.” He continued, a giggle escaping his lips at the mention of the nickname. Jungkook flushed, embarrassed at the compliment. He wasn't really good at receiving those.

“I'm not that good” he mumbled. 

“I'm sure you are. Mrs. Kwang never lies.” Jimin answered, face brightening all of a sudden.

“Hey. How about you ice my cake next time. I'll ask you to do it now but there's already icing on this one.” He suggested and Jungkook blinked. He didn't think he was good enough for that yet, but how could he refuse when the pink haired boy looked much too excited.

“Sure.” He muttered and Jimin grinned, still on his tippy toes.

“Alright I have to go. Dad says I have to be back home before it gets dark.” He announced, bowing once more to Mrs.Kwang, before turning to leave.

“Bye Jungkook.” He added, waving enthusiastically before pushing the door open. Jungkook nodded back.

“Isn't he sweet?” Hari piped from the opposite counter.

“You could learn a lot from him Jungkook.” Myungho teased from the kitchen. Jungkook glared in the general direction, while Hari shook her head.

“Don't listen to him Jungkook. You're really sweet too.” She assured. He simply grunted in response, going back to crouch behind the counter where the abandoned cake he was supposed to be eating still lay. It was his favorite cake, a simple double layer chocolate cake with ice cream frappuccino frosting. He'd decorated it with chocolate syrup and had done the frosting swirls himself. He liked the bitter tang of the frappuccino, it buffered the sweetness of the chocolate to the right amount. 

Initially Hari had been quite surprised at his preferences, claiming that he had a much more mature sense of taste than other kids. He didn't really mind though, he'd once heard Mrs. Kwang tell a customer that he was growing up much too fast, but Jungkook had taken that as a compliment, ignoring the slightly bothered undertone in the woman’s voice.

“I think we should start packing up.” Mrs. Kwang announced, deciding that the chances of any customers coming at this time of the day was low. Jungkook looked down at his still untouched cake.

“Can I pack this?” He asked, aware that he didn't even need permission to.

“Ya sure.” Mrs. Kwang answered.

“You know where the boxes are.”

Jungkook nodded, making his way to the kitchen where he made sure to pointedly glare at Myungho. The other man chuckled.

“Ease up on the glare kid. It becomes permanent.”

Jungkook was tempted to reply with a bratty ‘you would know’, but as his parents had taught him manners, he decided not to.

As per usual, the pink boxes were stacked neatly at the corner of the toppings counter and Jungkook let his eyes wander to the containers of fresh strawberries, pink hair coming back to mind. After packing his slice of cake, he decided last minute to reach in the container for one. Popping the red fruit into his mouth, he scrunched his nose, once again reminded why he wasn't a huge fan of the fruit. 

“Too sweet.” He mumbled to himself.

“Ya, are you stealing toppings?” Myungho called from behind him. Jungkook sighed, closing the container.

“Don't forget to put them in the fridge.” He answered, gesturing to all the fruit containers before leaving, cake box in hand.

“Tch. Brat.” He heard Myungho mumble. He didn't really mind the other man, and he was sure it worked the other way too, somehow that was just the relationship they'd come to develop and Jungkook kind of liked it, glad that there was at least one person who didn't baby him in the store.

 

“Don’t forget to lock up okay?” Mrs. Kwang called back.

“Alright.” Hari answered.

“Kay let's go.” 

Jungkook couldn't be less eager to comply. He was indeed tired and wanted to go home, but the cake shop was his sanctuary, and every day he dreaded leaving it. While Mrs. Kwang was a really nice lady and while he couldn't think of anyone better he'd like to stay with, he could never bring himself to look forward to the silence of her small house and the loneliness of his room- yes, he'd been there enough times to consider the room his. Somehow, without the chimes of the cake shop, Hari’s distracted humming, and the bored rhythm of Myungho’s fingers against the counter, it was a lot easier to think of Seoul. Of his parents. Jungkook didn't really like that.

“Jimin comes to the shop a lot since he moved here. You should try to befriend him. I think you'll really like him.”

Jungkook furrowed his brows, wondering why Mrs. Kwang suddenly decided to bring the pink haired boy up.

“I know you don't get along well with other kids but I'm sure you'll find Jimin different.” The older woman continued. Jungkook frowned, but didn't answer.

“You're both similar in a lot of ways you know.”

At these Jungkook had to speak up. He couldn't disagree more.

“How? He likes sweet things and I don't, he's all pink and I'm not, and he looks happy and I'm…” Jungkook trailed off, unsure how to finish that sentence. Mrs. Kwang’s lips tightened into a straight line.

“You're not happy?” She asked, voice soft as it always was when she pitied him. 

“I am.” Jungkook answered immediately, almost defensively.

“That wasn't what I meant. I just meant he's so bouncy and smiley and I'm not like that.”

Mrs. Kwang didn't seem confused.

“Just because someone smiles doesn't mean they're happy.” Was her reply, and Jungkook looked away, remembering all the times his parents would smile in front of his teachers at their meetings. He cringed.

“Ya..”

“I do realize they're some obvious differences between you two, but you're similar in certain ways too.” Mrs. Kwang continued.

“For one thing, you both understand way more than you're supposed to at this age. You're being exposed to feelings you should be too young for. It makes you guys smarter, sure, but it also means you're growing up too fast. Childhood is precious Jungkook, you shouldn't grow out of it too fast. Enjoy it while it lasts.”

Jungkook blinked. It was another one of those moments when Mrs.Kwang looked distant, almost lost in her own old mind. She chuckled.

“Ah what am I saying? You probably don't even understand what I mean..” She mumbled. Sure Jungkook didn't understand, but if there was one thing he knew about Mrs. Kwang, it was that she never lied. Almost all the things she ever said, to him, were words of wisdom, so even if he didn't understand them, he tended to hold on to them anyways. He'd have to understand them eventually.

Needless to say, he didn't think about his parents that night, but instead thought of pink hair, strawberries, and smiles that may not be real.

 

Just like he'd promised, Jimin returned to the cake shop, pink hair bouncing jovially as he skipped to the front of the counter. Hari who'd been adding a new cake to the display case beamed upon seeing him.

“Good morning Jimin.” She cooed, and Jungkook who had once again been crouched behind the counter, practically shot up. Jimin jumped a bit at his sudden appearance, his surprise immediately fading into excitement. 

“Good morning Noona, good morning Jungkook.”

Jungkook blinked, mumbling a good morning back. Jimin grinned. 

Jungkook thought it was weird, no matter how long he'd thought about what Mrs. Kwang had said about smiles not always being real, he couldn't bring himself to imagine such a bubbly person being unhappy. But Mrs. Kwang had said it, and she never said anything without a reason.

“What would you like today Jimin?” Hari asked, making her way behind the counter. Jimin pursed his lips.

“I feel like trying something new today.” He answered, eyes brightening as an idea popped to mind.

“What do you recommend Jungkook? You are going to ice my cake anyways right?” He piped and Jungkook gaped, having completely forgotten about his promise.

“Oh yeah.” He mumbled, scanning the cake display for something the other boy might like. One thing was for sure, he had a sweet tooth. Oh yeah, and he really liked strawberries.

“Try this one.” He answered after a while, pointing to a slice of white chocolate cake with strawberry jam fillings. He'd tried it once and had found it much too sweet for his taste. Jimin squinted at the cake.

“Well I see strawberry fillings, so sure.” He suddenly piped. Hari smiled, already opening the display case to pull out the cake.

“How much?” He asked, small hands reaching into his light green hoodie pockets. Hari shook her head.

“Since you're trying it for the first time, it can be on the house. After all we don't know if you'll like it.”

Jimin’s eyes widened.

“Eh? That's okay. I'll trust Jungkook on this one. Plus I feel bad, you're always giving me free stuff…”

Hari shook her head.

“Don't worry about it Jimin, it's just cause we're friends, friends give each other free stuff.”

Jimin pouted but didn't complain, and Jungkook watched, young mind absorbing the exchange as if trying to decipher something. Prior to the summer, Jimin came here a lot, that much was obvious.

“Thank you.” Jimin piped, accepting the cake.

“So..” He began, looking up at Jungkook expectantly. 

“Are you going to ice it?”

Jungkook paused, exchanging a glance with Hari- who shot him a thumbs up- before nodding.

“Yay.” Jimin cheered, setting the cake down before letting himself in behind the counter. Jungkook watched as suddenly the boy was right beside him, seemingly a lot shorter up close.

“I wanna watch.” He demanded and Jungkook nodded, only muttered a short ‘okay.’

He didn't think Jimin would actually follow him to the kitchen, but the shorter did. At least Jungkook was glad Myungho had left with Mrs. Kwang to clear up some issues regarding their ingredients delivery, leaving just Hari and him in charge. The last thing he needed was Myungho teasing him while he decorated an actual customer's cake.

The cake was relatively small so it didn't require a lot of work to decorate. He merely placed puffs of vanilla icing on linear intervals along the cake, before filling the rest of the available space with aligned strawberries. He really didn't think much of it, but Jimin seemed much too impressed. 

‘Woah, it's so pretty.” He exclaimed once Jungkook was done.

“I almost don't want to eat it.” 

Jungkook pursed his lips, mumbling a quiet ‘thanks’ as he scratched the back of his neck nervously. 

“I think I want only you decorating my cakes now.” Jimin continued, unaware of just how flustered he was making the other. 

“Actually, I think I'll take this home and show my dad, he didn't believe me when I told him that Mrs. Kwang thinks you're a professional cake icer.” 

Jungkook bit his bottom lip, stomach clenching the way it always did when other people talked about their parents. He wasn't jealous, at least that was what he'd learned to tell himself. 

“My dad actually bakes too, but his decorations are nowhere as good as this, in fact I'm better than him, he just doesn't like to admit it.” Jimin continued to rant, and Jungkook clenched his jaw.

Definitely not jealous. 

 

“Alright, see you tomorrow.”

Jungkook almost felt bad for feeling this relieved watching the other leave. He muttered an unconvincing bye to the pink haired boy as he left the shop, letting his smile drop almost immediately the door shut.

“Ah, I really can't get enough of that kid.” Hari sighed. Jungkook grunted, suddenly wanting nothing more than for the day to end.

 

Jimin’s visits didn't stop, if anything they just became more frequent. Sometimes he only showed up for a short while, other times he stayed practically the whole day. But three things never changed. One, every time he came, he got a cake with strawberries. Two, only Jungkook decorated his cake for him. And finally, he never stopped talking about his dad. 

The talk about the strawberry boy’s- as Jungkook had taken to calling Jimin in his head-father seemed to be so consistent that soon enough Jungkook had come to the conclusion that it was the only parent he had. Perhaps something had happened to his mother, he'd wondered, but never bothered asking, well aware that it was a question that was out of his way.

Well, that whole theory had only been disapproved when one day Jimin had made a comment about Jungkook’s favorite cake.

“Coffee? But my parents said only adults like coffee…”

Jungkook had frowned, looking up from where he'd finished applying chocolate syrup unto his cake.

They were seated by one of the window seats of the shop, Jimin munching on his strawberry cheesecake, while Jungkook focused on decorating his usual cake.

“Parents?” Jungkook asked, brows furrowing with evident confusion. Jimin nodded.

“Ya” He answered, words coming out muffled due to his fork still being in his mouth. Jungkook couldn't help himself and blurted. 

“I thought you don't have a mom.”

Jimin froze, and Jungkook’s eyes widened, immediately sure he'd said something wrong. 

“Oh.” He mumbled upon taking in Jimin’s shocked expression. 

“I'm sorry if I said something wrong.” He immediately added, standing up to bow apologetically, just like his parents had thought him to do when he was wrong. Jimin blinked, seemingly brought back to attention by Jungkook’s overzealous method of apology.

“Don't do that.” He mumbled, face flushing as he urged Jungkook to seat down.

“So embarrassing.” He mumbled, and it was only then that Jungkook realised that Hari, Mrs. Kwang, and a customer, was now staring at them. He flushed as well.

“Sorry.” He mumbled, sitting down.

A moment of silence ensued between them and neither of them touched their cake. After what seemed like forever, Jimin picked up his fork, prodding at a strawberry with it, before stabbing it.

“You're right.” Jimin finally spoke, and Jungkook watched distractedly as he stabbed another strawberry.

“I don't have a mom.” He continued, this time stabbing his cake.

“Oh.” was all Jungkook could think to respond with.

“I'm sorr-”

“I have two dads.”

This time Jungkook looked up, surprised to find Jimin staring at him carefully, almost as if he was waiting to see Jungkook’s reaction. 

Jungkook gaped. It wasn't something he'd talk with his parents about a lot, but he definitely remembered them talking about how two people of the same gender couldn't love each other, about how it was wrong. But then again he'd taken to ignoring everything they ever told him about love and happiness….after all, what did they know? They were the least happy people he'd ever met.

“Okay.” He settled for saying. With the way Jimin was always talking about what he now knew were his dads, they were doing fine as parents, or at least way better than his parents ever did. So whatever, he didn't care that they were both dudes.

Jimin frowned, lips parting with what looked like disbelief. 

“What do you mean okay?” He asked.

“It doesn't bother you?”

Jungkook shrugged. 

“Nothing really does anymore.” He answered, remembering how appalled Myungho had looked when he'd said the same phrase to him.

 “You're just a kid, you can't be saying that yet.” He'd exclaimed, but Jungkook had merely ignored him.

“Oh.” Jimin answered, still looking confused. He bit his lips, looking up through his lashes.

“So you'll still talk to me?” He asked, voice barely above a whisper. Jungkook rose a brow.

“Why wouldn't I?” He asked, genuinely unsure as to why he'd ask that. Jimin flushed, voice lowering in volume.

“Well other kids stop talking to me after they find out.” He mumbled, and Jungkook frowned, aware that the other kids parents had probably told them what his parents had told him. Thinking about it annoyed him a little. 

“Why?” He asked anyways, curious as to what Jimin thought the answer was. Jimin looked angry as he resumed the stabbing of his cake. It was an usually expression on the otherwise jolly kid, and Jungkook hated it.

“One kid told me that it's because two dads can't love each other, only a dad and mom can. He even said they can't love me either.” He seethed and Jungkook couldn't help it. He laughed.

It was a short bitter laugh and Jimin paused, anger transforming to surprise before returning back to anger.

“Why did you laugh?” He asked, evidently annoyed. Jungkook shook his head so he'd know not to get the wrong message.

“It's not that..it's just, if it makes you feel better I have a mom and a dad and they definitely do not love each other. They don't love me either, so that kid was wrong.” He answered. Jimin blinked, mouth parting as if to ask a question. 

“So do they know?” Jungkook interrupted, not wanting to talk about his parents.

“I mean your parents, do they know other kids don't talk to you?” Jimin’s look of surprise immediately died down to a pout. Jungkook found it amazing how easily the other showed his feelings on his face, the exact way his parents had taught him not to.

“No..” He mumbled, and this, Jungkook found surprising. Jimin looked like the kind of person who shared everything with his parents.

“Why not?” He asked and Jimin sighed, pout deepening.

“It'll be unfair of me to tell them. I'm just their kid, so I only have to handle the other kids. They on the other hand, I'm pretty sure the other parents are mean to them too, and there's a lot more of them than annoying kids. I don't want to bother them with my problems as well.” 

That definitely had not been the answer he'd been expecting, and the defeated look on Jimin’s face only made something at the base of his stomach clench. He wanted his strawberry boy’s smile back.

“It's okay.” He responded lamely, unsure how to go about cheering the other boy up. Jimin shook his head.

“Ya I'm sure we'll be fine though.” He claimed, expression still serious.

“How about you? You said your parents don't love each other….what do you mean?” He asked, and Jungkook blanked. It was a subject matter he hated, but he guessed he owed Jimin, having inquired about his personal life. So he shrugged.

“It's just like it sounds, they don't love each other. I think they were forced to get married, that's the only reason I can think of for why they haven't gotten divorced yet. I don't remember a time when they ever behaved like normal parents do, they can barely even look at each other. They don't have anniversaries and they don't have wedding pictures either, they just live together.” He answered, trying not to let the bitterness seep into his voice. Jimin’s eyebrows were turned up, obviously worried.

“That doesn't mean they don't love you.” The pink haired boy immediately assured, and Jungkook scoffed.

“They never tucked me in before, or told me stories, or took care of me when I was sick. We don't go on family trips or play games either. They only come to my assemblies and school events so that the teachers don't ask questions, and they only ever tell me what to do and what not to do, how to behave and how not to behave, what to like and what not to like. My mom doesn't like me cause I'm my dad’s, and my dad doesn't like me cause I'm my mom’s. That's why they send me here every summer, to get me away from them. I'm prove that they don't love each other.”

Jimin was looking at him with wide watery eyes now, and Jungkook felt bad.

“Jimin?”

“That's so sad.” Jimin mumbled, eyes getting increasingly more watery. Jungkook’s eyes widened, realising that the other was on the verge of tears.

“Jimin it's okay, you don't have to cry.” He claimed, watching Jimin wipe his eyes furiously. 

“Here do you want my cake?” He offered, but Jimin shook his head.

“Too bitter.” He mumbled and Jungkook had to stop himself from cooing at how cute the other boy was. Who cried for someone else anyways?

“I'm fine.” He mumbled.

“It's okay Jungkook, I'm sure Mrs. Kwang loves you. And Hari too, and even Myungho. And don't forget me, I love you too, so don't worry okay?” Jimin assured and Jungkook flushed.

“That sounds cheesy.” He mumbled, but Jimin looked serious.

“But it's true.” Jimin whined, and Jungkook looked away, hiding his blush.

“Fine whatever. I believe you, just don't cry.” He grumbled. Jimin sniffed.

“Do you want another slice?” Jungkook asked, gesturing to the severely stabbed cheesecake. Jimin blushed, looking embarrassed. 

“It's okay, my dad says not to waste food.” He mumbled, but rather than feel jealous at the mention of the others father like he usually did, Jungkook could only smile.

“Alright, if you say so.”

 

When Jimin finally had to leave, Jungkook couldn't ignore the disappointment he felt. He'd already grown accustomed to the other boy prior to today, but somehow, he felt especially closer to Jimin after their talk.

“Kay I'll see you tomorrow okay?” Jimin mumbled once they were by the door. Jungkook nodded, the answer enough for Jimin. The shorter turned around, about to leave, when something stopped him.

If Jungkook had been expecting anything, a hug definitely hadn't been it.

“Thanks.” Jimin mumbled into the hug, pulling back to reveal a blush similar to Jungkook’s, and before the other could answer, Jimin called out into the shop. 

“Alright see you guys tomorrow!” He exclaimed.

“Oh you're leaving already?” Mrs. Kwang called back, raising a brow when she noticed Jimin still clinging unto Jungkook.

“Oh? You're not stealing my Jungkook are you?” She asked, and Jimin flushed, moving away. Mrs. Kwang chuckled.

“It's okay, you can take him, he's a brat anyways.” Myungho called from the kitchen. Jimin giggled at Jungkook’s over exaggerated eye roll.

“Alright I'll be leaving.” Jimin repeated, sending a grin, along with a small wave, Jungkook’s way, before finally leaving.

 

After that day, things between him and Jimin changed almost immediately. Having always been somewhat independent and self oriented, Jungkook couldn't say he had a lot of friends his age, or just friends in general, so spending time with Jimin was definitely new to him.

They spent most of their time together in the shop, and Jungkook had even taken to teaching Jimin how to decorate cakes- although that usually resulted in a huge mess in the kitchen, much to Myungho’s displeasure. There were other times however, when they'd occasionally leave the shop and go outside. They avoided all the parks like the plague though, because Jimin had claimed that the kids there were mean. A part of Jungkook wanted to go fight those kids, but another thing he'd quickly learned was that he couldn't say no to Jimin. So they usually played in the fields behind the parks, or sometimes just went to neighboring shops- like the candy store a block down that Jimin absolutely adored, but Jungkook thought reeked of diabetes (he was pretty sure that was the disease people got when they ate too much candy.) It was at moments like this that he found it hard to believe that Jimin was a full year older than him, as he'd learned a few days back.

In all the years he'd been coming here for the summer, this was by far the best, and as it slowly began coming to an end, Jungkook could swear he'd never felt sadder.

“It's okay, I can give you my house number and you can call me when you get back.” Jimin had chirped one day, after they'd looked at the calendar and counted a week before Jungkook had to leave.

“Or you can just move in with Mrs. Kwang permanently.” He suggested. Jungkook sighed, if only it was that easy. Jimin sighed as well, getting the message that it was unlikely.

“Oh yeah!” The pink haired boy suddenly sat, twisting in his seat to retrieve what looked like two keychains from his backpack.

“Look what I got" He exclaimed, holding up a bright pink and a dark red stuffed strawberry, both attached separated to their metal rings.  

“I was gonna get two pink ones, but since you like coffee, I figured you're the kind of person who wouldn't like pink.” He continued. Jungkook stared at the keychains, reaching for the pink one.

“I'll take this one then.” He mumbled. Jimin frowned. 

“But I thought you didn't like-” 

“I never said I don't like pink.” Jungkook interrupted, looking away as he shoved the object in his pocket. 

“I think I actually like pink a lot.” He added. Jimin grinned, completely missing the implications of his word.

“Oh, that's cool then. As you can see, I like pink too.” He giggled, pointing to his hair.

“But it's okay, I'll take the red one because it reminds me of you.” He continued, twirling the keychain around a small finger. Jungkook tried not to blush, the annoyingly warm feeling that he'd been feeling a lot these days, settling over him.

“Promise you'll keep it okay? You'll have to show it to me next summer.” 

Jungkook nodded, raising a brow at Jimin’s suddenly extended pinky. Usually he found these kind of things childish, but as he'd established, he couldn't say no to Jimin.

So he hooked his pinky around the other's smaller one, the warm feeling returning when Jimin broke into his signature grin. It wasn't a grin he thought he could forget.

 

The dreaded day finally came, just like Jungkook knew it would. Jungkook didn't think of himself as a crier, but waking up that morning to the realisation that he was going back to that stifling environment he called home, he came dangerously close. Plus there was also the issue of leaving the cake shop, and more importantly, Jimin.

Mrs. Kwang, as usual, was supposed to take the train with him back to Seoul-because his parents once again couldn't be bothered to pick him up- but unlike their usual routine where they go straight to the station, Jungkook insisted they wake up earlier so they could stop at the cake shop for a while. Who knew, maybe Jimin would show up and he could see him one more time before leaving.

But minutes at the shop easily became hours, and Jimin didn't show up.

“Jungkook, we'll miss the train if we don't leave.” Mrs. Kwang tried to appeal. Jungkook didn't have a choice, he simply nodded and he must have looked so defeated, because even Myungho gave him an encouraging hair ruffle, while Hari handed him a packed cake for the trip. He didn't need to look inside to know what was in it.

“Strawberry?” He mumbled, and Hari nodded although she looked like she was attempting to conceal a knowing smile. Jungkook flushed.

“Kay let's go Jungkook.”

This time Jungkook didn't complain. 

 

Jungkook had very conflicting emotions about the train station. Every time he arrived here, the air smelt of freedom, but in moments like this, when he had to go back, everything was too suffocating. 

“I don't want to go back.” He mumbled, gazing up at the station. They were still at the parking lot and Jungkook still felt safe from the suffocation of the station. Mrs. Kwang sighed, smiling softly as she patted his back.

“It's okay sweetheart, there's still next summer to look forward to.”

Jungkook grumbled. 

“I don't want to look forward to it, I want it to be here already.” He answered childishly. 

“Aww sweetie.” Mrs. Kwang began.

“You know I-”

“Mrs. Kwang!”

Mrs. Kwang froze, surprised at the sudden call. She turned, Jungkook doing the same. It wasn't hard to see where the call came from, and they watched as a dark blue car came to a hurried stop at a parking spot. The man that had yelled was the driver, head sticking out of his window. Jungkook didn't know who it was, but apparently Mrs. Kwang did, judging by the little “oh” she let out.

The man all but kicked the door opened, and although Jimin couldn't see clearly, he was sure the other two doors of the other side of the car opened too. His eyes travelled back to the man who was now hurriedly crossing the parking lot, his view obstructing him from whoever else left the car. He was still in his pajamas, as if someone had dragged him off the bed last minute. 

“I'm so glad we could catch you on time.” He heaved once he was close enough. Jungkook furrowed his brow. “We”? He turned, tilting his head so he could now clearly see another man making his way across the parking lot as well. Except this man looked a lot more put together and prepared. 

Of course that was not what Jungkook found most surprising. If anything it was the fact that this man’s hands were clasped around much smaller ones, small one's that eventually connected to a bed of pink hair.

“Sorry, we tried the shop but Hari said you'd left, and you know how Jimin is, he wouldn't let us go back home. You know how early he woke us up to make su-” 

“Namjoon, calm down please.” Mrs. Kwang interrupted the rant of the man in pajamas.

But Jungkook really couldn't be bothered, because Jimin was now running towards him, bright yellow hoodie basically engulfing him. His eyes were swollen and were a light red from some evident crying.

“Jimin..” He began, but couldn't continue as the other crashed into him with a hug.

“Don't go.” Jimin sobbed, obviously aware that the option wasn't available.

“You can't go. I don't want to go back to school with all the mean kids. I don't want to go back to having no friends.” He mumbled into Jungkook’s shoulder, voice getting heavier with the threat of tears. Jungkook knew all the adults were watcing, but he couldn't bring himself to care, not when his strawberry boy was crying. 

“Shh, it's okay, don't cry.” He whispered, patting the other boys back gently. For some reason that only made Jimin cry harder. 

“Ya, Jimin…” Jungkook spoke softly, rubbing his back in circles, just as Mrs. Kwang had done years ago, the first and last time he'd cried in front of her.

“Stop crying please….do you want my cake?” He asked, using his other hand to hold up the box Hari had given him. Jimin shook his head, still sniffing into the other's shoulder. 

“Bitter.” He mumbled, and Jungkook smiled.

“Actually no, it's the one you usually get. Strawberry sponge cake with strawberry icing and extra strawberries at the side.” He answered. At this Jimin pulled away, tear streaked face contorted into confusion. 

“Why do you have that?” He asked, and Jungkook flushed, looking down.

“I was going to take it back to Seoul with me.” He mumbled, and Jimin’s face contorted again, more tears leaking out from his usually bright eyes.

“Please stop crying..” Jungkook pleaded, always having been bad at cheering people up. Jimin continued to sob, and suddenly remembering something, Jungkook reached into his back pocket, pulling out his pink strawberry keychain.

“Look, we've still got this, plus I'll still be here next summer, so you really don't have to cry okay?”

At this Jimin’s sobbing slowly stopped, and he nodded, wiping at his eyes furiously with his sweater paws. Jungkook couldn't be more relieved that he'd finally stopped crying and he sighed, fighting his own tears back.

“Jungkook…” Mrs. Kwang’s voice whispered softly, and Jungkook knew he had to leave right away. 

“Right.” He mumbled. 

“Don’t cry again okay? I really have to go now.” He carefully spoke and Jimin nodded, still looking like he'd burst back into tears at any moment. 

“Kay, see you later?”

Jimin nodded, walking back till he bumped into who Jungkook was now sure were his parents. He finally looked up at them, surprised to see them already looking at him with equally soft expressions.

“Thank you.” The more put together one mouthed, and Jungkook nodded slightly, turning to leave. They were already practically at the station's door, when an high pitched “wait!” stopped them.

“Jimin!” both dads exclaimed at the same time, as they watched their son run across the road without looking both ways.

“Ya! Jimin that's dangerous-” He began, once Jimin was walking towards him, but was cut off when the other boy hugged him one more time, this time tippy toeing slightly to place a light peck on his left cheek. 

Jungkook’s eyes widened, cheeks flushing as he realised what had just happened. He didn't have time to react however, because Jimin was already running across the road again, almost giving his parents a second heart attack.  

Jungkook gaped, looking up at Mrs. Kwang, who merely shrugged, a teasing smile on her face.

 

For some reason, the train didn't feel as suffocating as it usually felt, and Jungkook looked out the window, thoughts too occupied on a certain pink haired boy. In his hand was the keychain he'd promised to keep, and by his side was the strawberry cake he'd yet to touch. 

He'd already accepted that he didn't have a choice. He'd just have to wait till next summer.

 

The lone figure of his mother standing outside the station, umbrella opened to shield herself from the rain, was the first indication he got that something was wrong.

They usually came together, her and him. Sure they stood at least 2 meters away from each other at all times, but they still always picked him up together, for righteousness sakes.

The second indication was that the roads all looked different. He'd taken this trip enough times to memorize the roads, but this? He didn't recognize. 

“Where are we going?” He asked, staring holes into the back of his mothers seat. She'd yet to say something to him other than an half assed “welcome back.”

“Home.” She simply answered. Jungkook frowned.

“This isn't the way home.” He mumbled in response.

“It is now.” 

And it was then that he noticed the corners of some paper sticking out from his mother's handbag. They looked like they'd been violently squished in there.

He wasn't an idiot, he recognized the divorce papers from all the times he'd searched them up online.

He gaped, and a dreaded feeling told him that he wouldn't be returning to the cake shop next summer. Or ever.

But even worse, another reminded him that he'd forgotten to get Jimin’s home number, and suddenly Jungkook could only feel numb.

For the sake of his pride, he said nothing, did nothing, for the rest of the trip.

It was only when he was alone in his strange new room in a strange new house, that he let himself cry. 

Over his parents, over himself, and most importantly, over his strawberry boy.

 

 

 

A/N

Still alive XD