That dragon

kookmin (jikook) one shots

“General!”

The loud slam of the conference room’s double doors was enough to pull the attention of every gathered head around the table. Jimin frowned, noticing the panicked expression on the armored soldiers face. Judging by the black tint on his iron apparel and the singed corners of his shield, there had been another attack.

“He's attacking the town oak!”

In a matter of seconds everyone was on their feet, the general, whose permanent scowl had deepened, hollered out commands.

“You! Send for the third branch archers! You, message the council! The rest of you suit up and gather your troops at the oak.”

Jimin watched the scene unfold, an annoyed huff leaving his lips at the chaos that now surrounded him. It had been like this for about three year now, every month that damned dragon would go around terrorizing the surrounding kingdoms and honestly, he was getting tired of it.

“Jimin! Come with me!” The general hollered and Jimin snapped out of his thoughts, fingers immediately clasping around the helm of his sword.

“Yes sir.”

 

……………...

 

“This is absolutely preposterous!!”

“He must be stopped!”

“What does he even want?”

“It's the third year!!”

From the corner of his eyes Jimin could see the corner of the general’s lips twitch. He couldn't really blame the other man though, he'd be pretty irritated too if he was in his position. His gaze once again traveled to the anxious group who were still engaged in their own accusations and complaints. It was quite rare to see so many different kingdoms gathered together for meetings like this, but he supposed the situation was dire enough.

“Quiet down, please quiet down. Let us discuss the matter civilly.”

At the head of the table a pale skinned woman whose complexion was almost translucent spoke up and everyone quieted down. As the Mistress of the kingdom of the dead, she was the oldest and most experienced member on the council, and having been around for almost two thousand years now, she'd gained the respect of the practically all kingdoms.

“Rather than complaining, does anyone perhaps have a suggestion as to how this issue should be resolved?”

A long silence settled over the council as no one had anything to input. A gnome coughed at the far end of the room and some shuffling could be heard from the fairy section.

“Alright. How about we hear from the elves as they were the ones most recently attacked?” The mistress suggested and Jimin turned to where the general was now slowly standing. He let out an exhausted sigh, scratching behind his pointed ears before running a hand through his pale green hair.

“There's really not much to say. Our people have tried all we can to stop him during every attack, but yet he remains unaffected. We're really not sure what to do.” He admitted defeatedly and the mistress nodded in understanding. Jimin watched as the general sat back down, dropping unto his seat dejectedly. His gaze traveled back to the gathered members. Three representatives from each kingdom were present, as it was required for these rare council meetings, and he still found it quite amusing to see so many different creatures in one place.

“Does no one have any ideas?” The mistress continued and you could see the exhaustion on her face. Another moment of silence settled until a quiet voice spoke out.

“How about we send someone to kill him?”

All heads turned to a long haired merman whose fingers lazily trailed around the glass of the aquarium he and the other merpeople representatives were in.

“Explain.” The mistress urged and the merman shrugged.

“I mean think about it? No one can hurt him if he's out and about, so why don't we send someone to find out his abode and assassinate him while he least expects it? We can't send a team cause that'll be too obvious, so why not a capable fighter?”

A series of murmurs broke out at the merman’s words and the mistress waited for it to settle down before she spoke.

“And who do you suggest we send?” She asked. The mermaid paused for a second. Of course everyone knew that the merpeople weren't particularly “fighters” and it didn't help that they needed water to survive, so of course he wouldn't volunteer any of his people.

“I don't know.” The merman answered nonchalantly.

“Who wants to do it?” He asked and yet another pause fell over the council.

“It has to be someone who's experienced in stealthy combat… How about the nymphs? You guys can blend with nature can you not?” The mistress asked and the three representatives exchanged worried glances. 

“We're not really great with combat though..” The first nymph mumbled.

“Plus I doubt the dragon is surrounded with nature.” Another added. The mistress sighed and a fairy from the far end of the room rose a brow.

“How about the pixies? Since they're so cunning I'm sure they can figure something out.” She sneered and the three pixie representatives at the other end of the room glared.

“Why can't you immoral fairies just seduce him with your elegancy and pretty butterfly wings eh?” A pixie hissed and a series of groans filled the room at the display of the much too common rivalry between the two kingdoms.

“Now is not the time for your childish banters.” The mistress intervened.

“Is anyone willing to volunteer or should we come up with a different solution?”

No one answered once again and just as she let out a sigh, a lone voice cut through the silence.

“I'll go.”

The silence that followed extended for a longer time period and Jimin gulped when he realised that the whole council was now staring at him. Ya he'd spoken on impulse, but it wasn't like he didn't know what he was saying. As second in command next to the general, he had enough confidence that he could take this beast. He'd been trained in both hand to hand and long distance combat pretty much his whole life, so if anyone was qualified, it was him.

Apparently the rest of the council didn't agree.

The room bursted into laughter and Jimin frowned.

“You?! An elf?” A troll boomed.

“That's hilarious! We need a warrior, not a pocket sized pretty boy” He hollered and his representative, as well as some other creatures snickered. From the other side of the general, the other elf representative stood.

“Well I don't see you volunteering!” The pink haired elf hissed and the general placed a hand on his arm.

“Woozi.” Jimin heard him whisper, not missing the fondness in the general’s voice as he addressed his brother.

“But yoongi, they’re insulting us. We’re not pocket sized” Woozi whispered back. Jimin shook his head, pushing back his grey strands.

“I'd like to remind you that it was these pretty boys who saved your kingdom from the witches years ago, and like my fellow elf over here just pointed out, none of these ‘warriors’ seem like they're ready to volunteer.” He spoke up, making sure to sound as collected as possibly while including some spite. The trolls sneered at him.

“You're crazy if you think you can take on the dragon.” A wizard huffed from nearby and Yoongi scowled.

“It's a little insulting to see that you think so little of us despite the fact that we're a combat driven kingdom. You've all requested our help one time or another with past battles, so why doubt us now?” He asked and a few more murmurs cascaded through the room before the mistress spoke again.

“Commander Park.” She spoke calmly and Jimin sat up straight.

“Are you sure this is something you're willing to do? We could always come up with another solution.”

If she'd asked earlier, Jimin may have backed out, but having witnessed the doubt that the other members had concerning the elves, he now had a point to prove.

“I've been commander for two years now and have been trained in all forms of combat available at our kingdom. I think I have a solid chance.” He answered and some gnomes scoffed.

“What are you going to do? Bat your eyelashes and hopes he falls for your elfish charms?” A gnome grumbled and Jimin turned to glare at him, not masking his annoyance.

“I'm sorry if nature hasn't given you and your people the benefits of looks, but it's really no reason to be so sour.” He answered as calmly as he could. The mermaids “oohed” and the mistress huffed.

“Please, let's be civil. As head of the elf kingdom do you object to this General Min?” She asked, turning to the general. Yoongi turned to Jimin and their gazes locked together. The other man had worked with him long enough to know when he was determined and couldn't be swayed, so he simply sent him a look that asked “are you sure?.” Jimin nodded and Yoongi remained expressionless as he stood.

“No, I do not object. I have enough faith in him.”

The mistress nodded at the answer.

“In that case we have a volunteer. Anyone else think they’d be more fitting for the job?”

No one spoke up and Jimin sent a pointed sneer the trolls way that read ‘cowards’. They sneered back but didn't answer.

“In that case we'll end this meeting here. The elves will decide by themselves when they will send out their volunteer and how they will take the dragon’s life.”

“As that is concluded, I will now officially adjourn this meeting.”

 

……………….

 

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

Jimin fastened his belt around his waist, nodding quietly in response to the question. Woozi huffed from beside him, handing over the bag which he'd filled with supplies to the other elf. Jimin took the bag thankfully.

“Do you not trust me?” He asked and woozi pursed his lips, shaking his head slowly.

“It's not that I don't trust you….but a dragon…” He mumbled and Jimin folded his arms.

“I thought you were all for this, what will that display you put on at the council meeting.”

Woozi rolled his eyes.

“I have my pride man, but I just want you to he safe.”

Jimin scoffed, a small smirk on his lips.

“I'm older than you, you don't have to worry about me.” He replied, ruffling the other man’s hair. Woozi glared at him.

“Scratch that, I hope the dragon eats you.” He hissed and Jimin chuckled. A comfortable silence settled between them as Jimin fastened on his boots. He'd dressed in as little armor as possible so as to allow for better mobility as well as stealth- the last thing he needed were the squeaky hinges of the metal giving him away.

“You don't have to leave today you know.”

Jimin looked up to find the general walking in. Woozi immediately stood upright.

“It's fine. The sooner I get this over with, the better.” Jimin answered.

“You're one of my best men Jimin.” Yoongi continued.

“It would be most unfortunate if we lost you.”

In other words be safe. Jimin smiled at the general's implication and nodded.

“Don't worry, I'll be fine.”

 

………………

 

Jimin had been on several out of kingdom missions before, but he had to admit that this was new. Unlike his other missions there weren't any troops trailing behind him or flanking him, and that in itself was enough to heighten his nervousness. And yes, he was indeed nervous. He hadn't been lying when he'd accepted the mission with the claim that he was more than qualified for the job, but still…..this was a dragon... one who'd terrorized various kingdoms for more than two years now. He wasn't even sure he was going to right way. According to kingdom of the wizards, they'd traced the dragons whereabouts to a far away mountain, and while he'd been transported to the general location via a portal spell, he was now on his own. 

 At the moment he was cutting himself a path through a dull forest whose only source of light came from the dull blue rays of the moon. He'd spied the tip of the mountain at the other end of the forest, but judging by how far it seemed, he still had ways to go.

 An exhausted sigh escaped his lips as he estimated that he'd been on the move for about an hour or two. He was just beginning to consider taking a break, when a loud ruffling caught his attention. He froze, heads darting to the side before hurriedly pulling out his sword. The weapon remained pointed at a specific cluster of trees which he could have sworn was the source of the noise. A second passed, then two, yet nothing emerged from the trees. As he was just about to let down his sword, his eyes caught sight of a small rock which was now rolling towards him. He blinked, eyeing the object that had now stopped at the tip of his shoe. He debated kicking it away, and just as he was about to, the rock moved back. Jimin watched, eyes widening with shock as the rock sprouted legs, its round body revealing what seemed to be a mouth which now hissed at him. A very unmanly yelp escaped his lips as the creature lunged for him, and he stumbled back, attempting to hit the thing away with his sword.

“Woah woah woah woah! Don't do that!”

Jimin stopped mid swing, head slowly turning to the side where a man had suddenly materialized from out of nowhere.

“You'll only piss him off more.” The man continued, dropping onto one knee.

“Here.” He whispered, outstretching his hand and unfolding a palm to reveal what looked like seeds. The weird creature’s head snapped to the seeds and it hurried over, consuming them in less than three seconds. Jimin blinked as the creature stumbled back, slowly morphing into something else with each step. In a matter of seconds alone he was now staring at a tiny little stone man who looked like one of the many figurines Woozi liked to keep in his room.

“Ugh, thanks man. I hate it when I get like that.” The tiny man squeaked out and Jimin blinked, still not sure of what he'd just witnessed. He'd read countless books about the creatures of this world, but never had he heard about rock people who turned hideous when hungry.

“No problem.” The mysterious man who'd saved him spoke and Jimin finally looked at him. He was tall- Jimin cursed in his head cause that was so not fair- with a head of dark hair that fell carelessly around his face...it fit his sturdy figure and broad shoulders. As if he'd caught him staring, the man looked up at him, something akin to suspicion in his eyes as he regarded the elf.

“What's an elf doing here?” He asked, voice calm yet somewhat mocking. Jimin coughed, aware that the other man had probably seen his earlier display of weakness.

“I'm here on a mission.” He answered professionally and the other man looked bored.

“Oh yeah?”

Jimin nodded.

“Ya. I've been sent by the northern kingdoms gathering to slay the dragon which resides here.” He clarified, sheathing his sword. Silence fell on the forest and both the man and the tiny rock creature exchanged a look before simultaneously bursting into laughter. Jimin frowned as the laughter drew on longer than necessary.

“Yeah..good luck with that.” The man finally said, picking up the small rock creature and placing him on his right shoulder.

“Let us know if you um, ‘slay’ him.” The rock man added, his squeaky voice enough to irritate Jimin even more.

“Is there a reason why this is funny?” Jimin hissed and the other two snickered some more, but neither of them answered as the man began walking away.

“An elf? That was the best they could do?” He heard the man mumble just before moving out of sight. Jimin seethed. 

He'd show them. 

He'd show all of them.

 

……………

 

“Oh for the love of-” Jimin hissed, propping his elbow on the rock above to act as leverage. He pulled himself up, groaning when he looked up to see that there was still more climbing to be done. It was in moments like these that he wished he was a fairy or something and could just fly up the damned piece of rock. He huffed, squaring his shoulder and adjusting both his bag and sword before continuing up the mountain. The moon now hung high in the sky, its rays casting a much more prominent glow over the expanse of land.

As instructed, Jimin continued up the mountain, trusting the wizards claims that the dragon lived in a cave at the top. He hoped for the sake of this mission and his life, that the fire breathing monster was asleep by now.

The climb up was difficult, and were it not for his level of experience having been on several missions, he probably wouldn't have made it. He scoffed, if only those trolls and that stupid stranger and his pet rock were here to see him, he thought. Screw them and their derogatory views on elves. 

“I could probably take on all of them at once and still come out victorious” He mumbled to himself, climbing up the final rock that would lead him to the top.

The top of the mountain wasn't at all like the clichéd pointy tip with a cave attached that he'd imagined, but instead revealed an expanse of land that was relatively flat. There were several rocks, ranging from boulders to pebbles, scattered around the land, but there was no cave….and definitely no dragon.

Jimin just barely refrained himself from screaming out in frustration. He was going to kill those goddamn wizards. He huffed in annoyance, deciding that he'd look around some more before giving up. His search proved fruitless however, as he was unable to find anything unusual on the expanse of land. Jimin kicked a stray rock, finding comfort in the way it rolled off the mountain. He tsked, turning to start heading down the mountain. 

Then he saw it. 

It started off as a small dot in the distance, but Jimin wasn't stupid, he could tell that it was getting bigger, he was getting closer. Jimin gulped. At this point there was only one thing he could do. He hid. The boulder he'd chosen to duck behind seemed high enough, but it wasn't too wide, allowing him to be easily able to peek over the side.

Jimin waited silently, his breath only hitching when the loud flap of what sounded like wings, cut through the air, sending a gush of wind in his direction. Jimin shut his eyes, calculating his next course of action.

“You really need to stop doing that.”

Jimin froze when he heard that voice. It was high, quiet and ridiculously nasally...as if it belonged to a small person.

“Doing what?” Another voice answered, this one much lower to the point where it resembled a growl, Jimin shivered. Definitely the dragon.

“That dumb spinny thing you always do. You know I hate flying, yet you choose to indulge me in all your life threatening tricks. It's not funny.”

The dragon chuckled and Jimin tried not to breathe too loudly.

“You're no fun.” 

“It's called valuing life.” The high voice answered, and he seemed like he had more to say, but was cut off.

“Stop.”

Jimin froze at the command.

“Someone's here…”

A tiny gasp left the elf’s lips and he shut his eyes tightly, finally regretting his decision to take this mission.

“Are you sure. Don't think anyone would be dumb enough to come up here.” The tiny voice continued.

“I can smell them.” The dragon repeated and Jimin was sure his heart was going to pump it's way out of his chest. 

“Are you sure you're not imagining it?” The tiny voice whispered, and amidst his panic, Jimin failed to notice that it sounded closer.

“Hmm...maybe I am.” The dragon answered.

Jimin let out a sigh of relief…or at least almost did. He was only halfway through his inhalation when a loud, high pitched “BOO!” was aimed at his face. Jimin let out yet another unmanly scream as a small stone man he was all too familiar with, jumped at him. He swatted the man away, stumbling back and falling on his out in the open. The little man was now cackling loudly and soon enough a lower snicker joined him. Jimin turned, eyes widening with a mixture of fear and awe upon spotting the beast that now sat a few meters away from him. The dragon was a dark midnight blue, a colour which almost breached black. His eyes were a startling amber, with speckles of green here and there. Two black slit pupils stared back at him, and Jimin shivered. He'd seen the dragon from afar before, but being right in front of it was a lot scarier.

“Care to explain yourself elf?” The dragon began. Jimin gulped, wondering what chances he'd have if he were to run. His mouth fell open, but no words escaped.

“Scared?” The dragon asked again, and Jimin's lips fell shut. He pushed himself off the ground, reminding himself that he was an elf. Nothing scared him. Mostly.

“N-no.” He stammered, and the dragon rose a brow.

“I'm here to propose a truce.” Jimin began, deciding that the whole “kill the dragon” thing was not going to happen.

“Oh?” The dragon asked, sitting up straighter. Jimin gulped at how much the creature towered over him.

“Y-yes.” He stammered.

“Um, you've been attacking the northern kingdoms a lot a-and I've been sent to come to a compromise with you.” He continued, sounding completely unprofessional, not to mention cowardly, as he improvised.

“Is that so?” The dragon asked, sounding a mixture of amused and disbelieving.

“Y-yeah. If there's something you'd like in exchange for leaving us alone. The northern kingdoms are quite rich in gems.” He continued. The dragon laughed, a sound that scared Jimin to no end.

“Not interested in all those shiny disposables.” He began. Jimin gulped.

“T-then what are you interested in?”

The dragon looked thoughtful, as if he was actually considering it. A moment later, he looked down, a sick sort of smirk on his lips.

“A person.”

Jimin frowned.

“A person?” He repeated, and the dragon nodded.

“Precisely. It gets lonely being up here all by myself you know. How about in exchange for a person, preferable one of power- those ones are the most entertaining. And I don't want like a troll or something, those are gross.”

Jimin gulped. He supposed he fitted that criteria. He pursed his lips, well aware that he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he made someone else do this.

“How about me?” He mumbled quietly.

“Pardon?” The dragon asked. Jimin looked up, squaring his shoulders and clenching his jaws. If he was going to go down he wouldn't do it the cowardly way.

“How about me? Can I be that person?”

A short silence fell between them as the dragon looked him up and down, standing on all fours. Jimin heaved a breath as the creature began to circle him, eyes taking in everything. Eventually the dragon stopped in front of him, lowering his head so those amber eyes cut right into his. 

“You'll do nicely.”

Jimin shivered. He wondered if it was too late to run.

“Your name?” The dragon asked

“Jimin. Park Jimin.”

The dragon nodded.

“Drop your weapons.”

Jimin blinked.

“What?”

“Drop your weapons, your bag and any form of communication you have with the northern kingdoms. Leave it here.” The dragon explained. Jimin nodded slowly, doing as he was told. As soon as he was done, the dragon lowered his head, eyes still glued on the other elf. Jimin blinked in confusion.

“He means to get on his back idiot.”

Jimin had nearly forgotten about that annoying tiny man. He turned to glare at the creature, heaving himself onto the dragon. As soon as he settled in, the tiny man followed, mounting the beast as well. Just then, a thought popped into his head.

“Wait. Weren't you with that ma-” His words were sharply cut off by the dragon darting forward, wings springing to life as he gained momentum. The dragon chuckled as Jimin’s hands tightened around his neck, the elf's eyes going wide as he watched the dragon launch himself off the mountain. He shut his eyes, not enjoying the plummeting motion he was experience. It felt like forever before a tiny pat on his shoulder brought him to attention.

“You can open your eyes now.” The tiny voice teased. Jimin tensed, slowly opening his eyes. He gasped, eyes widening as he took in his surrounding. They were suspended in the air, the midnight sky much too beautiful for Jimin to handle.

“Wow.” He mumbled, and the dragon chuckled from behind him.

“First time flying eh?” He teased, and in his state of shock, Jimin nodded.

After that, the ride was relatively silent, and Jimin took the opportunity to take in the serenity of it all. “Woozi would love this” he thought, and suddenly the idea that he may never even get to see the other again, made his insides crumble.

“We're here.”

Jimin broke himself out of his stupor, blinking at the fact that they were now hovering beside a different mountain side. They were close enough for Jimin to get off the dragon unto land, and judging by the fact that the tiny man was doing just that, Jimin guessed this was the place.

“Where exactly is this?” He asked.

“In there.” The dragon simply answered and Jimin finally noticed the door sized hole in the side of the mountain.

“How would you fit?” He wondered, carefully dismounting the dragon who chuckled. “You'll see.” By then the tiny man had already disappeared inside the mountain, so Jimin followed, squinting at the darkness inside.

“Oi, stick with me so you don't get lost.” 

Jimin nodded, finding slight comfort in the hand on his shoulder. He froze.

There was a hand on his shoulder.

With speed that was probably enough to give him whiplash, Jimin turned, mouth hanging open as he started back into two glowing amber eyes. Except this time they didn't belong to a dragon.

“Oh my- it's you” He spat, taking in the familiar image of the stranger he'd bumped into earlier. The connection was slow, but he finally made it.

“You're the dragon?!” He all but yelled, and the man let out an impressed laugh.

“Wow, aren't you smart.” He answered sarcastically.

“Took you long enough.” The same high voice he'd come to dislike, piped up from somewhere inside the cave.

“Since you've never been here, I suggest you stay close” The stranger/ dragon- Jimin wasn't even sure what he was- said. Jimin huffed, suddenly his chances of actually killing the dragon seemed greater, this form was slightly intimidating, but certainly wasn't as scary as the actual dragon. Well at least that was what he thought until that same man let out a breath that lit up the whole cave with the dangerous colours of flames.

“Great. He breathes fire.” He mumbled to himself, knowing that he should have seen this coming. They went on like that, the man occasionally breathing or blowing out flames to allow them to see their path.

“Am I going to get a chance to return to the kingdoms. I have to tell them about this arrangement.” Jimin spoke up eventually.

“That won't be necessary, as long as I don't attack them again. Plus can you really show your face without the shame of having to tell them that you didn't slay the dragon?” The man answered.

Jimin froze, finally remembering that he'd pretty much told the dragon his plan before even meeting him. He didn't think he could feel any more embarrassed.

“That's what I thought.” 

“Alright we're here.” The tiny man spoke up after being silent the whole way. Jimin couldn't see anything, but could feel the wall in front of them with his fingers.

“It's a dead end.” He mumbled. The man chuckled, tilting his head up and letting out a gust of fire from his lips. Jimin gasped as he watched the flames dissipate into what appeared to be some sort of tunnel leading up.

“We go up.” The man clarified. Jimin nodded, at the same time realizing that he still didn't know this man/dragon’s name. He was about to ask, but wasn't given a chance as two arms s around his waist.

“What are you-”

“Just hold on.” The man ordered. Jimin nodded.

“So, do you have a name?” He finally asked, keeping his gaze up.

“Ya. It's Jungkook.”

“Jeon Jungkook.” 

And before Jimin could respond, they were shooting up into the tunnel, two strong arms still wrapped around his waist.

 

 

 

 

A/N

Bet you're mad about that ending 

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)