That night

kookmin (jikook) one shots

 

 

 

The city lights were as dazzling as ever, illuminating the moonlit sky of evening with a pristine sort of glow. On any other night Jungkook would have stopped to admire the scenery, might have even taken a picture or two. Today however, was not a day for distractions. 

You see, Jungkook was on a mission and that left no room for absentmindedness. So with little resolve, he pulled himself away from the bustling activities of city below him, continuing down the balcony. 

It didn't take long for his eyes to spot the entrance he was looking for. The ebony wood of the door was polished to perfection, its glare flaunting it's high class. If he squinted hard enough he could see his equally posh reflection; from his strategically styled hair to the equally dark shade of his suit.

Jungkook exhaled, twisting the knob. He didn't really have a plan, but improvising had always been one of his strengths.

He pushed open the door.

Classical music poured out into the night, bright fluorescent lights almost blinding him. 

“Welcome sir”

Jungkook’s eyes readjusted to the bright lights, landing on a petite woman bowing at him. He looked passed her, eyeing the posh crowd scattered around the luxurious room.  

The room was filled with chatter, various men dressed in all white, slinked through the crowd with trays of various wines and treats. The theme of the event seemed to be black and white as the decor of the room as well as the guests, resonated the colours.

Everything was professional, well planned. Perfect.

Of course he'd be in a place like this.

Jungkook walked through the crowd, eyes searching. He couldn't put his plans into action until he was sure he was here.

 

……………

 

“Jimin your ex is here”

Jimin looked up from his glass of wine, staring in the direction his accomplice was now looking at. His lips pursed as his eyes came to rest on the figure of a man cutting through the crowd. He definitely recognized that man.

“He wasn't invited.” 

His friend- and also the organizer of the event- Seokjin, shook his head.

“No. He wasn't.”

 Of course. That was so like Jungkook. Showing up to such a large scale event uninvited. Unlike Jimin who was graceful and calculative in all his actions, Jungkook was the opposite, rash and more prone to act based on instincts rather than thought. They were complete opposites, and Jimin wasn't sure if that was that was the reason they didn't work, or the reason why they could have worked. He sighed. In the end that didn't change anything.

“If it bothers you, I can call security” Seokjin interjected. Jimin shook his head.

“Don't bother.” He answered, watching the red liquid swirl as he tilted his glass. His eyes continued to watch Jungkook. The other man was constantly looking around, searching for something. Jimin pursed his lips, knowing very well who the other man was here for. 

As if having sensed his stare, Jungkook turned in his direction.

Jimin froze at the sudden eye contact, but remained expressionless.

He could have sworn that he glimpsed a small smile creep unto the taller’s lips, but the gesture disappeared much too quickly.

Jimin didn't look away, bringing the glass to his lips slowly.

The tense contact remained until a silent sort of agreement seemed to pass through them and they both looked away.

Jimin dropped his wineglass unto the nearby table, turning his attention towards Seokjin who, having witnessed the exchange, now looked extremely awkward.

“So, what were we talking about again?”

Seokjin coughed.

“Right. I was telling you about the new shop I'm planning on opening.”

……………..

 

Perfect

That was the only word Jungkook could think of each time he'd lay his eyes on the other man. 

Jimin was in no way a flawless man, but that didn't matter when he was such an expert at hiding his shortcomings. 

Jungkook found a place sit on a leather couch situated by the grand piano. His eyes were still glued on the shorter man who was now seemingly engaged with a conversation with another man- Seokjin if he'd remembered correctly.

Jimin was laughing at something Seokjin had said, and to anyone he'd have looked like he was having the time of his life. 

But Jungkook knew better.

He knew for a fact that the crescents of the other man's eyes were forced, and despite his calm demeanor, his form was much too rigid. He was distracted.

Jungkook smiled because he knew exactly why.

Of course he could read Jimin like a book, when you've loved someone for as long as he did, you learn to notice. It filled him with a sense of pride to know that out of everyone Jimin knew, he was the only one that actually knew the shorter man. The only one who'd seen tears well up in the eyes of a perfectly composed being. The only one who'd heard the lewd obscenities slip from those perfectly sculptured lips. The only one who'd felt everything that the other man had to offer. He could even say knew Jimin better than he knew himself…

...and It made him wonder what he'd been thinking when he'd let him get away. 

But that’s why he was here. To fix this.

Now all he had to do was to figure out how.

 

“Excuse me, is anyone sitting here?”

 

Jungkook looked up to face a brown haired man smiling down at him. He rose a brow, eyeing the man, then the empty seat beside him.

“No.”

The man took the reply as permission to sit and lowered himself unto the empty spot beside Jungkook.

“You don’t look like you’re having fun.” The man said, once he was seated. From the corner of his eyes Jungkook was quick enough to catch the brief gaze that Jimin sent their way. A grin split his lips and he turned to face the stranger.

“Well good thing I’ve got company now.”

The other man grinned.

“I’m Taehyung. Nice to meet you.”

Jungkook grinned back as he thinks he may just have found his plan.

“Jungkook.”

 

……………...

 

Jimin continued to convince himself that he isn’t bothered. Not when a certain brown haired man casually hits his ex’s shoulder, or not even when his said ex laughs exaggeratedly at a joke that he bets isn’t even that funny.

“Jimin.”

Jimin glances away from the two men, instead focusing his attention on Seokjin who was now sending him a sceptical look.

“Are you listening?”

Jimin blinked, having not heard any of the other man’s words.

“Yes I am. You were saying something about your new shop.”

Seokjin rolled his eyes.

“That conversation ended a while ago Jimin.” He said, glancing over to where Jungkook and the other man were seated.

“If he’s bothering you that much I really can ask him to leave.”

Jimin sighed, shaking his head.

“He’s not bothering me.”

Seokjin rose a brow.

“Really? I suppose that explains why you’ve been staring at him since he got here then.”

Jimin looked away.

“I wasn’t staring.”

“No, you were only coming up with ways to murder the guy he’s talking to in your head.” Seokjin answered, a satisfied grin splitting his lips at the light shade of pink that dusted the other’s cheeks. Jimin looked like he was about to retort but wasn’t given the chance.

“His name’s Taehyung by the way. He’s a business partner and for business reasons I’d ask that you don’t kill him.”

Jimin rolled his eyes, swiping another glass of wine from a server who passed by.

“Don't” Seokjin said, grabbing the glassware out of the other's hand.

“That's your fifth one since Jungkook got here. And while I know you're no lightweight, I'd still appreciate it if you kept things classy.”

Jimin sighed once more, dropping the glass. His eyes darted once more to the happily chatting pair and suddenly the whole room was too stuffy.

“I think I need some fresh air.” He mumbled, looking away. Seokjin smiled gently, catching on quickly.

“Let’s go outside.” He said, and Jimin shook his head.

“You're the host of the party, you have stay here. It's okay, I'll go alone.”

 

……………....

 

“Are you gonna go after him?”

Jungkook rose a brow at the brunette who was now smirking at him.

“What?”

Taehyung chuckled.

“The young man over there. The one you've been glancing at this whole time.”

Jungkook’s mouth fell open and the other man laughed.

“I could tell you were quite distracted. Hurry he's getting away” 

Sure enough when he turned he could see his ex’s retreating back.

“I think he got jealous. He was looking our way a lot too.” Taehyung chirped and Jungkook turned to find the other leaning back against the couch, an amused smile on his face as he twirled his half empty glass between his fingers. Jungkook chuckled.

“You're a lot more perceptive than you look. And here I was starting to feel bad for using you.”

The other man's grin widened.

“There's no need for that. Evoking jealousy is a tactic I would use as well. Looks like it worked too so good for you.” He assured, pushing himself off the leather furniture.

“Welp, if I were you I'd go after him now. Now if you'll excuse me, now that your crush is finally gone, I can finally go talk to Seokjin.” He added and Jungkook rose a brow when he noticed the sly smirk that Taehyung was now sending the party host’s way. The said host winked back and Jungkook furrowed his brows but didn't question the other.

“Alright then” He mumbled, but his words only fell on deaf ears as Taehyung was already walking away. He sighed, squaring his shoulders before moving in the direction he'd seen Jimin go.

 

…………….

 

Jimin huffed into the night’s air, taking in the breathtaking city scenery below him. It was indeed beautiful, but even it's beauty didn't seem be to able to lift his spirit. He sighed, bringing his newly acquired glass of wine to his lips. He'd grabbed one right before making his way out. Screw being classy, another glass wasn't hurting anyone.

“Isn't that your 6th glass? I know you're not a lightweight, but you're certainly no heavyweight either.”

Jimin scoffed, ducking his head at the all too familiar voice.

“You weren't invited.” He simply said, hoping he'd sounded as indifferent as he'd wanted. Jungkook chuckled, moving to lean against the balcony railing beside him.

“Since when have I ever needed an invitation for anything.”

Jimin rolled his eyes, downing the rest of the red liquid in one go. He smirked, taking some pleasure in the way the tallers eyes zeroed in on the small trickle of wine that ran down his chin. Jungkook had always loved the colour red on him.

 He made sure to make an act of the remaining liquid off his lips, wiping the trickle away.

“You said it was my 6th glass. How would you know how many glasses I've had today.”

Jungkook, who had definitely been distracted by his little show, brought himself back to attention. He chuckled.

“I like to keep my eyes on the prize.”

Jimin rose a brow, ignoring the rapid thumping in his chest.

“And that's why you're here? For this ‘prize’?” He laughed, making sure it sounded as dry as possible.

“You know that's not possible Jeon.”

Jungkook didn't falter, if anything he looked more confident.

“I'll take my chances.”

Jimin refused to accept the swelling in his chest, or the relief that coursed through him. Instead he chose to drown them behind something much more sour.

“Take your chances with someone more likely to appreciate it. Like that brown haired man, Taehyung was it? You two seem to get along swimmingly.”

Jungkook laughed, the low sound enough to send a wave of heat to his cheeks.

“You wouldn't know unless you were watching.” The taller teased, raising a challenging brow.

“Jealous?”

Jimin scoffed.

“What do you want Jungkook?” He asked and the other seemed pleased by his lack of denial.

“I thought I already said?” He answered and upon a lack of a response, he added.

“I'm here for you.”

The silence that followed seemed to drag on for forever before Jimin broke it with an empty chuckle.

“And what do you want me for? I sure as hell hope it's not for a quick , cause I'm quite certain we've passed that stage.”

Jungkook looked away, jaw clenching at the reminder of what their relationship was before they became an item.

“You know very well what I mean.”

Jimin scoffed.

“And what? I'm supposed to just accept? Supposed to fall into your arms once again and forget all this ever happened? I think you've really underestimated the situation Jungkook.”

Jungkook didn't seem affected by the harshness in the shorters tone, instead he let out a long sigh.

“I didn't think it'd be easy, but I gotta start from somewhere right?” He answered and Jimin huffed, looking away.

“So you decided crashing my friends party would be a good way to start.” He said, the reply more of a statement than a question.

“No one seemed to mind.” Jungkook shrugged and the shorter couldn't help but feel annoyed at how easy he was taking this.

“I mind. I don't know if you've guessed already, but I don't want you here. Not that it matters cause I'm Jimin, and my opinion never matters to you.” Jimin hissed and much to his pleasure, the comment evoked a reaction from the other. Jungkook frowned, hands clenching around a railing.

“You know that's a lie.” He said, his voice coming out as a whisper. Jimin sneered.

“Do I? Cause last time I checked those were your own words.”

Jungkook looked away, guilt evident on his features.

“I didn't mean any of what I said that night Jimin, and I'm sure neither did you.”

Jimin scoffed once again.

“Well whether you meant it or not it hurt like a . And what makes you think I didn't mean what I said?”

Jungkook tilted his head at this.

“Did you? Cause I remember you saying that you never wanted to see me again and I'm sure that if that were the case you'd have had Seokjin send me out by now.” He countered.

“Well. I'm seriously regretting not doing that” Jimin shot back. Jungkook sighed.

“Jimin-”

“No. Don't Jimin me” The shorter interrupted

“You don't just get to push me away and then just stroll back into my life like you're expecting me to just be all over you again at the snap of your fingers. I like to think I'm not that easy.” Jimin seethed, ignoring the alarm that was going off in his head, the warning that was telling him that he was doing all this wrong. It wasn't Jungkook’s fault, they'd both been responsible. Plus he'd hurt Jungkook too, they both knew that.

“ I didn't push you away. You left.” Jungkook corrected and the other sneered.

“Well you sure as hell didn't stop me.”

Another silence settled over them, this one a lot more tense.

“Ya. You're right.” Jungkook finally said and Jimin reeled back a little because that was not the answer he'd been expecting.

“I should have gone after you, I realise that. But I didn't and I'm sorry.” 

Jimin’s breath hitched. . It wasn't supposed to be like this. He should be apologizing, be begging Jungkook to take him back, because let's face it, he'd been a mess since the other left him.

“But you were crying and Jimin you didn't even look back. I knew I'd hurt you...a lot and that alone was enough to hold me back. I hated knowing that I was the reason for your tears and I was scared that if I went after you, if I touched you….that I'd only hurt you more.” Jungkook’s breath shook and Jimin had to fight back his tears. He just wanted this to be over.

“But then you were gone and I really didn't know what to do cause everything just felt so wrong and I…” Jungkook’s voice trailed off, unsure how to continue. Jimin wouldn't look at him, couldn't look at him. He could still remember that night, how he'd cried himself to sleep, how wrecked he'd looked when Seokjin had found him outside his door with all his packed belongings strewn on the floor. He could still remember the days that followed, how he'd wake up in the mornings only to go into another breakdown when he'd find the sheets beside him empty. Everything had hurt so much….everything still hurt.

 

“Jimin listen, I know you have all right to be mad at me.” Jungkook continued, having finally found his voice again.

“And I'm really sorry for hurting you. Even if you don’t want to get back together, at least just know that it was never my intention to do so.”

Jimin knew he should say something back, it was impossible at this point to deny the fact that he'd missed the other...still misses him. He bit his lips, looking away even as Jungkook let out a defeated sigh and stuffed his hands into his pockets, standing upright as he made to leave.

 

“Wait.” He managed to whisper right when the other was at the door. Jungkook turned, an unmistakable look of hope on his face.

“You did hurt me.” He muttered, cringing at the guilt that replaced the hopeful look.

“But I hurt you too.” He added.

 

“I'm sorry.”

 

………….

 

The apology could barely be heard above the buzz of the city below and the quiet stream of classical music that flowed out the balcony doors. But Jungkook heard it, and that alone was enough to make this whole night worth it. 

Neither of them knew what to say next and Jungkook, having always been prone to acting on impulse, took it upon himself to make the next move.

Jimin didn't look at all surprised when he was pulled into the taller, body burying into his larger frame. The relief that coursed through Jungkook when the shorter didn't pull away, but instead buried his head into the curve of his neck, was nothing short of immense.

They remained in this position for a while longer till Jimin pulled back, looking up with teary eyes.

“Kookie..” Jimin mumbled and how could he have resisted when the shorter was looking at him with those eyes? When those pink ridiculously plump lips were parted like that? 

Jungkook didn't even register that he was leaning down till he felt their lips connect. It was a taste of heaven after all of the hell he'd been through, and he loved it. He loved the feeling of those tiny hands running through his locks, loved how perfectly they fit into each other. He loved how Jimin still gasped as he always did every time he'd nibble on his lower lips, loved how willing the shorter was to let his tongue slip past those perfect lips. He'd missed this so much.

Jimin pulled away, still close enough for their lips to brush.

“I missed you.” He whispered against the taller’s lips, panting slightly and Jungkook swore he'd never felt so much relief in his life.

“Me too” He whispered back, capturing the shorter’s lips once more.

Oh how he'd missed this.

 

 

 

A/N

Based on an au I saw on tumblr lol

I've been writing about breakups a lot recently (those who r reading my new bts fic would know what I mean (its called "our story" btw- totally not advertising))