Meeting Yongguk

Closure


It was never hard to get Yongguk's attention. Even though he looks like he's not paying attention, he's always observing and watching his surroundings. Yongguk was the most patient man Youngjae had ever met and thankfully, also a creature of habit. Youngjae knew that everyday at noon, Yongguk took a cigarette break, contemplating the world and the gang's next move. Nobody would dare disturb him unless they needed to talk to him or there was an emergency. But Youngjae knew that Himchan was busy feeding Junhong and Jongup while Daehyun was sleeping, so he had to take the opportunity. 

Donning a black trenchcoat, Youngjae parked his car blocks away from the house where s slept. Yongguk was smoking in the backyard so Youngjae made his way from the alleyways behind the house. He ignored the cats that tried to brush up against him and ignored the nasty smell of garbage as he jumped the fence and found himself face to face with Yongguk. Youngjae froze for a moment as Yongguk eyed him, his hand twitching. Youngjae knew that at a moment's notice he would pull out his gun and shoot so Youngjae held up his hands, showing he was unarmed. “I'm only here to talk.”

Yongguk glanced behind him, as if to call out for the other members but turned back to Youngjae, who couldn't read the face he was making. “Then should I call the members? Or are you here to talk to Daehyun?”

Thankful that Yongguk wasn't going to shoot and then ask questions, Youngjae sat down on porch next to Yongguk. He looked up at the sky before taking in a deep breathe. “I came to talk to you. I know that Daehyun wouldn't listen to me right now, even if he said he would. I wanted you to know why I did what I did.”

Yongguk's voice was flat. “You mean betray us? Hand us over to the police?” Youngjae sighed, running his hand through his hair. Hearing Yongguk say that made his heart ache. “It may look like that but I never betrayed you.”

Youngjae bit his lip before continuing, “I work for an agency who gets takes in jobs that normal cops aren't qualified to do. Just like the judge said to you guys when you guys became specialists. I was given a mission to take down a gang who had murdered a CEO's daughter and robbed the CEO of millions. To do so, I was given permission to do whatever I needed to gather evidence. When I found out your gang was the rival gang to the Phoenix clan and that you guys monitored the gang often, it was the perfect opportunity.”

Youngjae shifted, as if to run when he heard sounds coming from inside. But once they settled down and it was quiet again, he turned to Yongguk. “So I joined your gang and watched the Phoenix clan from afar. I was able to get some of their members in jail but never the big fish until the day came when they kidnapped me. They hated that you were taking over some of their old turf and they thought they could ambush you and run away with the money.”

Youngjae swallowed the tears that threatened to fall as he thought about the countless hours he spent getting beat and hit. He thought about the hours he spent listening to really ugly men threatening to and abuse him. Thankfully he was never and his injuries healed without scars, so he was able to push back away from those thoughts and tell Yongguk the one thing he needed to hear. “I knew you guys would come for me. I trusted you to come up the plan that would save me and destroy them and so I made it my mission to make sure you guys got off scot free. I talked to the judge and reminded him that since they got the other gang, including all the money they stole, and because you didn't kill any of the guards while stealing money, that it would be better if you guys were on our side. They agreed and that's where we are now.”

Yongguk was silent and Youngjae thought he saw tears in his eyes but didn't say anything. He waited until Yongguk composed himself before finishing his story. “I became the person responsible for all of you. I handle all your paperwork, missions, anything you all need, as long I don't see you or talk to any of you. ”

“So why are you here?” Youngjae clenched his fist, thinking his pathetic excuse of a boss. “I came because I need help. The agency I worked for is no longer has the ideals it once had. My boss is a tyrant, a bastard. He out all the female agents and secretaries and forced agents he doesn't like to a sector where they change. It's a corrupt place and I plan to bring it down. I have evidence against my boss but I need more.” Youngjae met Yongguk's eyes. “I need help distracting my boss so I can find his little black book. It contains the names and numbers of all the people he's worked with, including information to blackmail them with. I need Junhong's help because he's amazing at hacking into computers. I want Himchan's help with publicly throwing the evidence into my boss's face. I want my members and freedom back but I can't have that until I take Lee Minho down.”

Yongguk stared at a heavily panting Youngjae, whose eyes were begging, pleading with Yongguk. It would be so easy to cast Youngjae away, so easy to give into the doubt and anger he felt when he watched Youngjae throw that smirk at his face and walk away from them. But that all went away as he watched a precious member told him the truth and who was taking care of them, even from the shadows. And he needed help.

“We're in.”

Youngjae sighed in relief, the ache that Yongguk would ignore him, went away. He held out his hands in a way that made Yongguk smile and give Youngjae the hug he was asking for. The tears he held back now ran down his face as Yongguk placed his cheek against Youngjae's hair. “Thank you.”

Thank you for listening. Than you for forgiving me. Thank you for giving me that second chance I didn't deserve. Thank you.

Yongguk heard all of this and let a tear roll down his face as well before something funny came to his mind. “But you have to tell the members everything.” Youngjae froze at the thought of Himchan's loud voice and Jongup's cold stare. He looked up at Yongguk, who was smirking. “You evil man. Fine.” 

But everything was going to be ok now, he could feel it.