Part Six: A Real Good Man.

I'm Sorry, I Love You.

Part Six: A Real Good Man

~ ~ ~

 

I walk through the large doors to where a few people tidy up from the party. Hanbin and Yunhyeong clean up the dishes from the food table, while some of the others take down any decorations which had been hung up around the hall. “There you are” Jinhwan startles me with his voice. I turn to him and Bobby. “Yes, here I am” I reply, chuckling slightly. “We will be heading home soon if you’d like to accompany us on our way” Bobby asks, I nod as an answer. “Glad you could join the party” Chanwoo nudges my bicep, Junhoe beside him. I smile, nudging him back. They all smile back at me. I know they are happy to see me out of the slump I’ve been stuck in for three weeks. I can’t blame them, I feel good to be out and enjoying times no matter how small the moments of happiness may be between crying fits, it feels, good.

 

 

I stretch my arms up, my back cracking quietly. I yawn and ruffle my hair. I tiredly exit my room and head to the kitchen. I quickly make up a bowl of rice, and grab my broken cell phone and sit at my dining table. I click on my phone. My eyes widen as I stuff a spoon of rice into my mouth messily.

5 unread messages.

3 missed calls.

I blink at my screen before hurriedly typing in my password and going into my text messages.

 

Sir.

MADISEN’S ALIVE! DONGHYUK! SHE IS ALIVE!

 

I read the text from Madisen’s father. My heart nearly stops, my phone slipping from my hands light grasp. Without fully thinking it through I click on his contact name ‘Sir.’ and dial the number. I put the phone on speaker and stand from my chair.

“Donghyuk” he answers softly.

“Sir.” I respond as greeting. “Madisen, she’s-”

“She’s alive” he finishes my words for me. I stay quiet for a moment. My breathing becomes louder and my head begins to feel like a brick. “Oh my God” I speak. “Madisen” I continue.

“Yes, she’s at the public hospital, here in Korea, we are here, come hurry, I will text you with room numbers and such, hurry and bring some of her friends, please” he nearly begs.

“Of course, oh my God, Madisen” my voice brightens.

“Yes, Madisen” he speaks before we bid goodbye.

 

I rush down to the street outside of my apartment. Not worrying about getting dressed properly I wear a pair of jeans and the sweater I had slept in. My Hair still a mess I try and fix it in the taxi car’s mirror. Quickly I pay the driver, nearly throwing the money to him. I run up the stairs to Eryn’s apartment.

“Eryn!” I knock loudly with both hands. “Eryn!” I continue banging. “Er-” the door opens. “Bobby?” I raise an eyebrow at my friend. “Hi” he looks away shyly. I shake my head to hold back laughter. “Bobby, who is- hi Donghyuk” she walks from her bedroom and notices me. “What-” I silence her with my own frantic speech. “Ma- Madisen- alive” I stutter still not understanding this reality. “She’s alive?” Eryn’s eyes light up at the news. I nod. Bobby’s eyes widen and Eryn runs to the door, sliding on her shoes. “Come on” she speaks, dragging Bobby by the hand while he still puts on a shoe.

 

“She’s alive?” Eryn questions me for reassurance. I nod. “Yeah” I tell her, a smile creeping onto my face. My eye lets a tear drop, just like it has been for weeks, but this time is different.

 

In a rush the three of us run up to the elevator in the hospital to head to her room. The elevator couldn’t possibly seem any slower. I just want to see her. The doors open and I sprint out, passing the doors reading ICU. The woman at the counter calls after me to stop, but I keep running. I prance past room after room, reading the numbers above. Number 06. I stop. Bobby and Eryn catch up to me. I begin to pull back the powder blue curtain which she lay behind when her father steps out and grabs my arm. “Let’s chat” he speaks lowly. My heart begins racing, while I walk away from the room with him. Eryn and Bobby follow. Her father leads us back out into the waiting room. I look over to Eryn who’s face is a near mirror of my own, sheer worry.

The four of us take a seat and her father lets out a deep breath. “She’s alive” he speaks. I smile, but soon my grin is dropped. “She doesn’t have much of her memory, or any mobility” he breaks the news. My jaw drops and I begin to feel dizzy once again with the news. “What does she remember?” Eryn asks. “Not much” her father responds “him” he continues, pointing at me. My eyebrows furrow, my jaw still slightly dropped. “The first thing she said was Donghyuk, her speech in minimal, but she sure knows your name” he turns to me. I nod. “Would you like to see her?” he questions. I stand, nearly before he could even finish his sentence. He leads us back in, and to the room. I stand and watch him pull back the curtain. My breathing remains somewhat heavy, while I look over her. Her long dirty blonde hair spread over the pillow, her eyes closed. It pains me to see her in such state. IV lines dripping into her forearm and a monitor beside the bed reading all types of things. I walk into the room and to the side of her bed. “Say something” her mother who sits on the opposite side of the bed to me, speaks.

“Madisen” I take a seat in the small stool. “Beautiful” I speak. Her eyes slowly open, and she turn her head to me. She shakes her head as much as she can before pointing to Eryn and insisting she take my spot. After a few minutes her mother leads me from the room.

“Donghyuk, we know about your breakup, it saddens me, but I thought you were all she needed, but maybe I’m wrong, I just-” her mother begins. “Mame, if I may, I will, no matter how much she hates me, I will do anything to help her, and most definitely be here for her, until she wishes otherwise” I tell her. “Of course” her mother runs her hand over my bicep. “I love your daughter, I would do anything for her, no matter what it takes, I’ll prove to her I love her, I will” I continue. “And I ask you too, she loves you, no matter what she says, she loves you” her mother advises me. I nod. “You're a good man, really” she smiles at me, and I smile back. “A real good man”

 

~ ~ ~