12th piece

Puzzle
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It's now Friday and Jimin was currently leaning against the lockers while looking at the paper in his hands, biting his lip in thought. He was determined to call Jin yesterday and set up that study session, but had chickened out last minute. He then saw the older this morning and was going to mention it, but again backed out last minute.
 

"What's that?" Jimin looked up and saw Taehyung standing in front of him with a curious look as he leaned over to peek at the paper.
 

"Seokjin's number." replied Jimin.
 

"Oh." said Taehyung as he stood up straight again, then looked at Jimin and grinned, "Do you want to sleep over tonight?"
 

"Sure, but I'll have to stop by my house first." replied Jimin with a grin of his own.
 

"Fine by me." said Taehyung cheerfully as he slung an arm around his friend's shoulders and started walking.
 

When they came out of the building, Jimin saw Jin by the gates with his arm around some guy's shoulders while talking to Namjoon. Jimin's brows furrowed curiously as he looked at the new face, thinking the guy must be from Jin's old school. As they got closer, the trio looked over at the same time and spotted them. But it was the guy who spoke up first.
 

"Look, Jin, it's the guy you replaced me with." he said in a matter-of-fact tone.
 

Namjoon just raised an eyebrow while Jin frowned and softly flicked the guy's forehead. Said guy pouted as he nuzzled into Jin's shoulder, making the latter roll his eyes as he looked at Jimin.
 

"Don't listen to him, he's just being childish." said Jin.
 

"I am not." mumbled the guy, his forehead still pressed against the older's shoulder.
 

He then slightly turned his head and looked at Jimin, the latter fidgeting a bit where he stood as the guy gave him a slow and obvious once over.
 

"I'm Jungkook, by the way." he said as his eyes came back up to look at Jimin, "I know who you are, so no need to tell me."
 

Even though he said it with a smile, there was something in his eyes that made Jimin a little uneasy.
 

"Um, nice to meet you." said the latter with a nervous smile.
 

"Yeah..." said Jungkook with a bit of indifference as he went back to hiding his face in Jin's shoulder.
 

"That was rude." said Taehyung, the others looked at him and saw a frown on his face as he looked at Jungkook.
 

"Jimin was trying to be nice to you, you little punk, but you just brush him off like that?" he said, clearly annoyed.
 

Jimin tugged on his friend's shirt a bit to get him to stop, but Taehyung wasn't having it.
 

"Don't come here acting all high and mighty just because you come from that conceited school." he continued, his eyes glaring daggers now, "And don't you dare be rude to Jimin again, you got that? He's done nothing to you."
 

"Taehyung, it's okay." said Jimin quietly, not wanting to start something.
 

"No, Jimin, it's not okay." said Jin, making everyone look at him now; the older looked at Jungkook, who was looking back at him with a frown.
 

"You were being rude, Jungkook. Please apologize." said Jin.
 

"How was I being rude?" asked Jungkook, his frown deepening.
 

"Your whole attitude was ill-mannered from the get go." said Taehyung with a roll of his eyes.
 

"I wasn't talking to you, you mosquito." said Jungkook, turning his head to glare at him.
 

"Oh, why don't you go disappear in the background somewhere?" retorted Taehyung with a smirk.
 

Jungkook looked taken aback by the response for a moment, but then scowled as he glared angrily at Taehyung again.
 

"You think you're funny?" he seethed as he started stepping forward, but Jin quickly caught him by the arm and held him back.
 

"Aw, did I hit a nerve?" cooed Taehyung mockingly.
 

"Stop it, Taehyung." said Jimin firmly and with furrowed brows, not knowing what has gotten into his friend.
 

He looked over at the other three and saw Namjoon had taken Jungkook a little further away and was trying to talk to him, but Jungkook looked furious. Jimin then looked at Jin and saw a concerned frown on the older's face as he watched his two friends. He felt himself being tugged away and looked up to see Taehyung had dropped the arm around his shoulders to grab his hand instead. Jimin looked over his shoulder as he walked and saw Jin had turned his head to look at them now, his eyes now staring hard at the back of Taehyung's head.
 

What just happened?


=============================================


They had stopped by Jimin's house to let his parents know he was staying over at Taehyung's. After getting an approval, they went up to Jimin's room so he could prepare an overnight bag. Things were strangely quiet the whole way to the house and as Jimin packed his things, the air felt a little eerie. The way Taehyung and Jungkook had argued was as if the two knew each other or have been acquainted with each other before. They were now in Taehyung's house and the latter has had this serious expression on his face this whole time that it sort of unsettled Jimin.
 

"Where's your mom?" asked the latter as he stepped into the living room.
 

"She went out to get some groceries." replied Taehyung as he too stepped into the living room.
 

Jimin just hummed in response as he headed to Taehyung's room to leave his bag. Opening the door to his friend's room, Jimin stepped inside and tossed his bag on the bed before stepping out again. He went into the kitchen, where he saw Taehyung at the sink filling a glass with water, and noticed something for the first time.
 

"Was there always a lock on this door?" asked Jimin curiously as he reached out and touched the bronze colored lock that led to the basement.
 

Jimin looked over his shoulder when he didn't get a response and saw Taehyung now leaning against the sink, staring back at him as he swirled the water in his glass.
 

"No." replied Taehyung belatedly.
 

Jimin let out a snort at the late answer and just nodded as he stepped away from the locked door. He walked up to Taehyung and took his glass of water without asking and took a few sips. When he handed back the glass with an innocent eye smile, Taehyung finally smiled a bit as he chuckled.
 

"Stealing my water." he said while taking the glass.
 

"It's not stealing, it's sharing." corrected Jimin, he then pouted as he put his hands behind his back, "And sharing is caring."
 

Taehyung laughed at that and set the glass down on the counter, he then stood up straight so he could gather Jimin in his arms and hugged him tight.
 

"Of course it is." cooed Tae

Please log in to read the full chapter