10th piece

Puzzle
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The next day, Jimin went into the library for his free period and was pleasantly surprised to see Jin sitting at a table in the back. The older had his head down and resting on his arm as his other hand scribbled away in his notebook. Jimin walked over and as he got closer, his brows furrowed curiously when he saw random lines and circles drawn repeatedly here and there on the page.
 

"Is your pen running out of ink?" asked Jimin.
 

Jin's hand immediately stopped moving and he slowly raised his head to look at the younger, his eyes looking a little startled despite his expressionless face.
 

"Something like that." said Jin with a blink, then slightly tilted his head to the side, "You can sit here, if you want." he added with a small smile.
 

Jimin returned the smile, albeit shyly, and nodded before sitting down across Jin. The latter watching his every move as Jimin opened his book bag and took out some work that was due next week.
 

"Do you still want me to help you get into that calculus class?" asked Jin as his eyes went up to the younger's face.
 

"If you don't mind." said Jimin as he looked up with an expectant expression.
 

"Not at all." said Jin with a smile, then looked down at his notebook and flipped to a blank page and started writing something, "We can get started today, tomorrow, or whenever you're free."
 

He then tore the page and handed it to Jimin, who took it and saw a phone number messily scribbled. Seeing that made him happy and a smile appeared on his face as he carefully folded it and put it safely into his book bag. He then looked at Jin and that's when he noticed what looked like a thin silver chain in the hand that wasn't holding the pen.
 

"What's that?" asked Jimin curiously as he pointed at the item.
 

Jin looked down and smiled softly as he unfurled his fingers and held out his hand. It was a necklace, one with a butterfly pendant that had white rhinestones decorating the outline of the wings. Jimin was about to reach out and touch it, but quickly stopped himself and looked at Jin; silently asking for permission. The older nodded and Jimin carefully took the necklace out of Jin's hand to get a closer look. He gingerly held the thin chain in one hand and the butterfly in the other.
 

Jimin had a fascinated look as he tilted the butterfly so it sparkled with the light. He was about to ask who this necklace belongs to and looked up to see Jin smiling to himself as he made more of those scribbles in his notebook. Furrowing his brows in curiosity, Jimin looked back down at the necklace in his hands and wondered if it perhaps belonged to a girl Jin likes. Maybe a girl from his last school? Could Jin possibly have a girlfriend?
 

The thought of it made Jimin's chest twinge in a weird way as he looked at the older again, the serene look on his face completely contrasting with his usual expressionless face. This necklace had to belong to someone important if it was making Jin smile like that. Jin suddenly looked up and made eye contact with Jimin, making the latter feel a little awkward as he put on a smile.
 

"This necklace is really pretty." said the younger honestly and in what he hoped was a cheery tone.
 

"Thank you." said Jin as he held out his free hand.
 

Jimin placed the butterfly on the palm of Jin's hand first before carefully lowering the thin chain to make sure it didn't tangle, he looked at Jin and saw an amused glimmer in his eyes. Wondering if he should ask, Jimin opened his mouth and hesitated. He really wanted to know, but he didn't want to come off as nosy or like he was prying.
 

"My grandmother." said Jin with a knowing smile, "This necklace belonged to her, not some girl from my old school."
 

Jimin felt his face grow warm as he averted his gaze off to the side, feeling a little embarrassed that that response didn't cross his mind. Speaking of which, Jimin furrowed his brows in confusion when he realized he never said anything about it belonging to a girl from Jin's previous school.
 

"I never said it belonged to a girl." said Jimin as he looked at the older.
 

"You didn't have to." said Jin with a chuckle, "This is a woman's necklace, so anyone who saw me with it would automatically think it belonged to a girlfriend or a crush."
 

"Ah... r-right." said Jimin with an awkward laugh as he looked down at his hands in his lap, feeling a little silly now that he just assumed things instead of just asking.
 

"I've told you before, Jimin." said Jin, "I like answering your questions, so don't be hesitant to ask. I won't think you're prying or anything."
 

Once again, Jimin wondered how Jin knew what he was thinking and feeling. Looking back up at Jin with intrigue, Jimin remembered Taehyung telling him that mind readers do exist; though genuine ones were rare. But he quickly dismissed that when he also remembered Taehyung telling him his expressions were easy to read. Brushing those thoughts aside for now, Jimin blinked and instead looked at the notebook in front of Jin.
 

"Why do you keep doing that if your pen seems to be working fine?" he asked while pointing at the scribbles.
 

"It unexpectedly fails on me." said Jin as he too looked at his scribbles, "It writes well for a while, but then it suddenly stops."
 

"Tch, I hate when that happens." said Jimin with a grimace, "That's why I have a whole bunch of pens in my book bag. You should see my desk when I take notes, it's like an invasion."
 

Jin actually laughed at that and looked at Jimin with a bright smile, one that fully reached his eyes. Jimin was stunned for a moment, but then laughed along as he indulged in the warm and pleasant atmosphere. Jin then closed his notebook and Jimin saw that he kept necklace in his hand instead of putting it away.
 

"Do you need a tissue to wrap the necklace in?" asked the younger while reaching into his book bag, where he kept a pack.
 

Taking it out, Jimin opened the pack and pulled out a single tissue before handing it to Jin. The latter took it with a quiet thank you and carefully wrapped the necklace in it, then put it in his pocket.
 

"My mom says it's good to wrap jewelry in a soft tissue if you don't have a jewelry box. It keeps the piece from getting scratched and none of the rhinestones will get lost if they fall off when putting it in a drawer." explained Jimin with a s

Please log in to read the full chapter