Fireflies

Little Things

I didn’t know what had gotten into Tiffany’s head again when I found myself being dragged by her arm again. After a few bus transfers, we came to a stop in the middle of a secluded area where we were surrounded by full of greens. And there in front of us is a lake.

 

“Where is this place and what are we doing here?” I whispered.

 

She didn’t answer but instead gestured me to follow her further down the dock. I was surprised to see a boat staying motionlessly on the calm water. I was even surprised as I watched Tiffany going into the boat and gave its motor a few spins. It roared to life immediately.

 

“Come on in!”

 

I hesitated a little as I looked at her with uncertainties but as soon as she held her hand out, I grabbed it and got myself inside the swaying vehicle together with her. I almost lost my footing. She chuckles at my clumsiness as she sat me down on the passengers' seat before going back to the throttle and steering wheel, “Did I mention what’s my uncle’s job?”

 

I shook my head and was startled when the boat started to move.

 

“He works here in the village and bring tourists around the lake in this boat.” I hummed in response as we went down deeper into the lake until the land couldn’t be seen anymore. The eerie sounds of the insects fill my ears and it’s even creepy because it was night already. I tensed up and tried to hide my fear but was seen through by Tiffany. She put her hand on mine as she comforted me, “You won’t regret later on because there is going to be a surprise.”

 

I was reluctant into believing her words initially but she was right as I was met with an unbelievable scene in front of me. The darkness is filled up with glittery that is flickering on and off continuously. Tiffany parks the boat closer to the leaves and I could get a clear view of the tiny beings. I reached my hand out to grab one of them.

 

“So pretty, aren’t they?” I cheered as I showed her the lighted bug in my palm proudly.

 

“Do you know that the typical lifespan of the fireflies is about 2 months in the wild?”

 

“What? That’s short…”

 

Tiffany must have noticed my sudden sullen when I let the creature fly away. I felt her sitting beside me as she put her arms around me, “You know, I hate it when you act like this.”

 

“They are going to die soon,” I let out a sigh. “That’s not beautiful anymore and I don’t like it.”

 

“Your definition of beauty is narrow. Do you know why I love these fireflies so much? Not because they are able to create beautiful night sceneries but because they never give up in shining.” She paused before lifting my chin to look at her.

 

“Human are always remembered for their best moments in people’s memories.”

 

For the first time, I saw myself in her eyes glowing with the tiny creatures in the background.