Santa Claus

Little Things

The huge Christmas tree stood proudly in the centre of the mall and illuminating lamps had lighted up the snowy path. Christmas songs rang through our ears as they were played along the streets. Children formed a big circle and danced along to the music.

 

Tiffany dragged my arms as we blended into the joyous occasion.

 

“We’re not kids anymore!” I voiced out in embarrassment when I noticed that we are standing out in the crowds because of our height.

 

“So? Growing up doesn’t mean we are forbidden from having fun!”

 

Tiffany turned her gaze to me and smile before reverting her attention back to the event and cheering along. After a short while, the music stopped but the children continued to move in the circular motion. I grinned at how much we were enjoying ourselves.

 

“Alright boys and girls, it’s time to pick your gifts!” The Santa Claus appeared out of nowhere as he announced.

 

I watched in amusement as the crowds dispersed and erupted in screams as they ran towards the Christmas tree. The scene was nostalgic as it reminded me of the times during my childhood when all my relatives gathered together for the celebration. However, time flies. Most of them have been too busy to even keep contact with one another.

 

“Let’s just wait for the children to get theirs before we join in.”

 

“No!” Tiffany protested. “We should be quick in our movements before the one we wanted get snatched away.”

 

I didn’t have the time to respond when she made her way hastily to the tree. I had to chase after her with my short legs. I was about to grab the slip of tag from the bottom when she climbed onto the ladder and grabbed two of them from the top.

 

“Maybe the items will be better,” she claimed and get down.

 

We joined the queue and it took a while before we reached to the front.

 

“Merry Christmas!” The Santa Claus greeted us and handed two similar boxes to us.

 

“What’s that?” I was curious and shook it. “Let’s open it!”

 

We tore open our gift excitedly and grinned when we had the exact same one – a snow globe. Two little girls are sitting on a bench as the white fluffy material falls and joins the thickening white.

 

“It’s beautiful,” I commented casually and directed my gaze towards her. When our eyes met, she lowered her head and gave me a slap on my arm. I wondered why.