Ice Cream

Little Things

I watched eagerly as Tiffany parked and locked her bicycle outside the convenience shop. Then, she reached her arm out and I grabbed onto her hand immediately as we made our way into the shop.

 

The little bell rang as we pushed the door and the cashier greeted us with a bow. I love that sound.

 

“Choose any one that you like,” Tiffany said as we stood in front of the freezer with a wide varieties of ice creams.

 

I was discharged from the hospital just a few days ago and Tiffany had promised that she would treat me to my favorite delight. I was glad that she remembered.

 

Scanning my eyes over the various products, a golden package which seemed to contain chocolate and almond caught my eyes. I was about to pick that up when I realised that the price was doubled of most of them. I retreated and instead, moved to the green one that I always had.

 

“I want this!” I announced, a little too excited.

 

Yet, I was confused when she took it away from my hand and put it back into the freezer. My gaze followed her hand until it reached a familiar one I had targeted on just now. It was then I realised that she had been observing me all along.

 

“I may be poor but not to the extent that an ice cream treat will tear a hole in my pocket.”

 

I gave her an apologetic look, “I’m sorry.”

 

“You are forgiven.”

 

We went up to the cashier and quickly made the payment before sitting down onto the bench outside the store. The wraps were torn quickly and we helped ourselves to them. The first bite left me craving for more as I dipped in for a second one.

 

I turned to look at the other girl and she did the same, with both of her eyes turning into thin crescent lines.

 

“Say, why did you decided to treat me to ice cream?”

 

“Do I need any reason to do so?”

 

“No, but I just want to know.”

 

I looked at her as I anticipated her answer. But when she finally disclosed it, I chuckled at myself for even asking. It was just silly.

 

“Because ice cream makes you happy.”