Doodles

Little Things

It was my first chemotherapy session. I watched nervously as the nurse was setting up the needles and the drip. Fidgeting and letting out a sigh, I leaned back onto the recliner chair. She must have noticed my uneasiness as she put her hands onto mine, “Relax.”

 

I returned a faint smile. Honestly, her word didn’t help. Then, I shut my eyes and winced in pain as the needle poked through my skin into my vein.

 

Hours passed by and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get myself to sleep. The show that was airing on the television didn’t interest me as I turned my eyes away from it. It was cold and I was relieved that I had worn my jacket out before I left the house.

 

“Kim Taeyeon!” I looked up and saw the familiar girl who is still in her school uniform skipping towards me. “Tiffany! What are you doing here?”

 

“I just finished my classes,” she said as she put her bags down on the floor. “I was afraid that you will be bored so I came here to accompany you.”

 

“How was class?”

 

“It was okay; nothing really special happened. Everyone is preparing for the year-end exams.” She gave me a shrug as she pulled a chair to sit beside me.

 

“Is this painful?” She asked and I admitted, “A little.”

 

I watched as she took her bag up and fumbled for something. Then, she pulled out a small scrapbook followed by a pencil before placing them onto the extended desk. I was confused. “What’s these for?”

 

“I know you like to draw but I can’t bring your canvas and paints here; they are too heavy. So I bought these from the stationery store at school. You can doodle on it.”

 

“Doodle?” I looked at her with a furrowed brow before questioning back, “How?”

 

“What do you mean by ‘how’? Do you need a way to doodle?”

 

“I mean, my drawings are always planned. I can’t think of something all of a sudden.”

 

“Why not?” She opened the scrapbook and brought the pencil to my palm, pressuring me to hold it. “Close your eyes and relax your mind. What do you see first?”

 

I did as I was instructed and within minutes, the blank page is filled up. I felt Tiffany leaned closer and observed as our arms touched. Then, she pointed at the top corner of the page before asking, “Who is this girl?”

 

I pursed my lips as I looked at her shyly, “it’s you.”

 

She didn’t respond only to break into laughter before it was replaced by a satisfied grin. And I smiled too.