Radio

Little Things

The stairway was all pitch black and it was nearly impossible for me to see anything. I held onto Tiffany’s hand tightly as I placed the other hand on the handle while guiding myself down. The wooden connector must have been really old as creaking sounds could be heard.

 

“What are we doing here?” I asked as I found myself in the basement of her house, which is supposed to be a storage room.

 

She the lights as they flickered for a moment before lighting up the whole room, not entirely though. It was still quite dim.

 

“I want to show you something interesting,” she said as she led me deeper into the room and stopped by a tall cabinet.

 

Grabbing a stool, she climbed onto it before reaching out to the highest slot and took out a box. I caught a glimpse of the items inside and was awed when it was in full view. It contained a radio and a microphone.

 

“You see,” she coughed as she slapped the dust away, “my grandfather was a radio broadcaster in the 1940s. These belonged to him and he often let me play with them when I was young.”

 

I inched closer. It was a large wooden box with a contoured surface. Based on its design and flawed surface, it sure was an antique. I reached out my hands for the lever knob and turned it but was immediately denied, “Are you serious? It’s been decades; it wouldn’t work anymore.”

 

“What’s the point of showing it to me then?” I pouted as she got down.

 

I was obviously unhappy as she got my anticipation up for nothing. I didn’t know when I had become her source of amusement as she let out a wave of laughter while pointing her finger at me.

 

“Good afternoon, this is DJ Tiffany with everyone.” She started speaking into the broken microphone.

 

“Currently, it’s 5th October at 2:03pm. Weather is partially cloudy with a little downpour.” Unknowingly, I started to smile.

 

Grabbing the microphone, she came towards me and sit beside me before gesturing it over to my side, “Today, we have a special guest with us. Her name is Kim Taeyeon and she will be hosting the broadcast with me.”

 

I chuckled at the scene and all of the sudden, my anger previously were all gone. I scooted close to her and joined in the fun, “A rainy day is suitable for songs that are calm and quiet. Audience can request songs through our hotline and dedicate it to someone special.”

 

That afternoon, we hided in the basement room under Tiffany’s house under the rain. Laughter filled the room and I realised that she was smiling wider than before. Happiness can be that simple.