Episode 7

The Adventures of the Flaming Homouals

In which she learns the truth:

Minah let herself fall backwards on her bed, letting out a loud sigh as she laid on her mattress. She groaned loudly when she heard a knock on the door, "I swear to god, Luhan if that's you I'm goin-"

"Actually it's me....can we talk?"

Minah froze, literally stopped moving, when she heard a familiar yet unfamiliar deep voice.

"K-Kris?"

She sat up stiffly as Kris nudged the door open with his hip. He was carrying two mugs of hot liquid. She smiled softly as she took the light blue mug from his hand. Minah took a deep breath, letting the calming aroma of coffee soothe her restless body. Kris sat gingerly on her roller-chair, looking slightly out of place in her pastel room.

Minah brought her legs up to her body as she took a tentative sip.

Ah...freshly Minseok brewed coffee.

"I....I um..." Kris stammered, looking around nervously. "I wanted to talk to you."

Minah nodded her head, slowly motioning for Kris to continue, "I wanted to apologize. I know I've been a jerk and you did nothing to deserve that." Kris let out a faint bitter chuckle, "Actually I should be grateful to you."

Minah cocked her head to the side, "Why?"

"Because you took us in, even when all six of us came out. It isn't easy....being different in this type of world."

Minah nodded sympathetically. Being straight, she couldn't put herself in Kris's shoes but she could just imagine all the teasing and stereotyping that the six might have had gone through.

"And I know we got off on the wrong foot." Kris continued, placing his mug down on Minah's table. She let him talk. This was the longest she'd heard him speak to her.

"And I can't thank you enough for protecting my Yixing."

Minah smiled, "It's my job as his friend Kris. I would gladly defend Yixing any day."

Kris grinned awkwardly, showing Minah that rewarding gummy smile, "You know....you remind me so much of him."

"Him? You mean Yixing?"

Kris shook his head, the smile dropping off his face, "No. His name was Huang Zitao...."

Minah frowned, she had never heard of a Huang Zitao. But based on the way Kris was acting, he must have been very important.

"He was just like you, you know. Brave, young, reckless, stupidly loyal." Kris let out a bitter chuckle and Minah fought down the urge to give the taller a comforting hug.

"He was so strong.....or I thought he was."

Minah frowned, "Why do you keep talking about him in past tense?"

"You know, he was my first love." Kris continued, ignoring Minah's question.

"I'd known Tao since I was little. I loved him before I even knew what love was. But I was blind....so stupidly blind."

Minah's heart dropped, she didn't like Kris's tone, "I thought he was okay, I thought he was happy. I couldn't have been more wrong."

Kris stopped, his breath hitching. He placed his arms on his waist as he looked up at the ceiling, blinking back tears, "They found his dead body five miles from the main shore. Suicide, that's what they said. He had left a letter too.....inside his favorite Gucci bag."

Minah gasped, ", that Gucci bag....I'm so sorry Kris I didn't know."

Kris smiled, "It's fine. Apparently, he was bullied. Tormented. His parents forced him to do what they wanted, banned everything he loved. He didn't know who he was anymore. And he didn't ask anyone for help. He just carried that burden on his shoulders until one day....he just broke."

Kris stopped and turned to Minah suddenly, "That's why I was so harsh to you. I see Tao in you and I'm sorry."

Minah put the mug down next to Kris's and wrapped her arms around Kris. The latter stiffened, not used to the foreign pair of arms touching him but he brought his hand up and gently patted her back.

"Next time Kris," Minah looked up, "Come and talk to me. We are friends, roommates. I want to help. I promise that I will."

Kris nodded, making a silent promise of his own.

I promise you Minah, I'm going to watch over you. I'm not letting anyone go like Tao did.