Episode 13

The Adventures of the Flaming Homouals

In which she learns the meaning of family: 

Minah picked at her rice, her chopsticks loosely dangling from her limp fingers. Her mom shot her a glare but Minah ignored it.

"Mi-"

"I'm not hungry anymore, excuse me."

Minah got up, her food untouched and walked upstairs.

It's been more than a week and Minah was feeling worse than ever. She couldn't even imagine what Kris or Chanyeol felt. She kept hearing Baekhyun's broken voice in her mind, like a tape stuck on replay.

Minah sighed and sat down at her desk. She had a bunch of crumpled up papers surrounding her. She tried to take her mind off of the whole situation by drawing but she always ended up drawing one of the boys.

At first, her mom yelled at her constantly. Minah's head pounded as tears continuously streamed down her face but after the third day she put up a poker face, which irritated her mom even more. She didn't respond to anything her mom said, only speaking when she excused herself from the dinner table.

Minah sighed. She hasn't ate a full meal either. Her appetite seemed to fail her. Minah stood up quickly. She couldn't bare the stuffiness of the house anymore. She grabbed a jacket which was tossed haphazardly in her bed and slipped down a pair of shoes. She walked downstairs and passed her mom who was in the living room.

"Where do you think your going?"

"I'm visiting dad."

That seemed to shut Mrs Yoon up. She nodded her head, as if she was giving permission for Minah to leave the house. Minah scoffed, she would have went anyway. She walked out the front door, slamming it shut behind her as she took a deep breath, taking in the frigid April air. Minah stuffed her hands in her coat pockets as she made her way to the graveyard. The night was still young, but the stars and moon were high. The crickets chirped loudly, the occasional dogs barked louder.

She could see a couple walking out of the park. The guy was incredibly tall while the girl was short. Her heart pained as they passed her laughing. They reminded her of Baekhyun and Chanyeol. The ultimate carefree couple.

Minah turned the corner and nudged open the gate to the graveyard. It was quiet. No one visited the graveyard at night. The lanterns shone dully, the moon lit up the path. Minah smiled softly as she approached the grave. She knelt in front of it, smiled widely, "Hey dad."

The wind picked up, blowing her hair all over the place. Minah pulled up her hood as she sat on her , crossing her legs as she stared the grave down. "It's been a while, sorry. I've been so busy at college but the end is coming up soon! Finals is in two months so, that's good I guess....."

Minah closed her eyes, trying to picture her dad's warm smile, "Mom dragged me home. She was mad that I lied to her. But I did it for a good reason! I needed roommates and I'm glad the boys took the offer."

Minah smiled bitterly as she ran her fingers over the grass, "You know, all six of them remind me of you. Kris, he's like an actual dad. He acts just like you, overprotective and caring. He doesn't show it but I know he loves us. Then there's Yixing. Don't tell anyone but he's my favorite. His hugs are exactly like yours. Warm, loving and they feel like I'm being hugged by you."

Minah sniffed, tears gathering in her eyes, "Then there's dumb and dumber." Minah let out a small laugh, "They say the stupidest things, make me do the most reckless things. But Chanyeol's smile is like yours. I like seeing him smile."

Minah sighed, "Then there's Minseok, the silent guardian. He doesn't say much but he's always watching out for me. Like you. I remember when I was trying to learn how to ride a bike. I was crying because you refused to give me tips. But as soon as I started wobbling, you were by my side."

More tears rolled down Minah's cheek as she fisted the grass underneath her palms, "Why did you have to leave me dad? I still need you!" The wind picked up but there was a certain warmth that surrounded Minah's shuddering form, "I love you dad. Please.....watch out for me."

Minah took a couple minutes to get composed and stood up. She threw one last glance at her father's grave before leaving the graveyard. Minah somehow knew, she felt it in her heart, that her father was watching and he was listening. He was silently guarding her from his place among the stars. 

 

 

Thunder cracked through the sky as Minah shut off all her lights. The clock on her bedside blinked 12:46. 

It wasn't raining but it was bound to start any minute. Minah pulled the covers over her body and closed her eyes. It was silent, until she heard it. Faint taps, like branches on a window. She dismissed it quickly, figuring that it was probably the wind. But she suddenly sat up. She lived in a spacious, clear neighborhood. There were no trees close to her house. Minah stiffened when she heard the taps again. She turned to her curtain covered glass doors that led to the balcony.

There's no way.....

Minah got up quickly and pulled the curtains apart. She gasped when she caught sight of a familiar smile.

"Baekhyun!"

Minah teared up immediately as she yanked the glass door open. Without a second's waste, she wrapped her arms around the latter's neck, pulling him in for a tight hug. Baekhyun let out that familiar laugh as he hugged her back, "Hey Minah."

Minah buried her face in his shoulder as she squeezed tightly, "You came back....you came back..."

"For you, we all did." Baekhyun pulled away, motioning to the edge of the balcony.

Minah raised an eyebrow as she peered over the ledge, smiling widely when she saw Kris, Chanyeol, and Yixing standing in her backyard, waving madly. Minah laughed as she waved back. Kris tried to wave with both hands but decided against it when the ladder he was holding started to tip over.

"You didn't think we would leave you here, did you?" Baekhyun asked with a teasing tone. Minah was speechless. No one has ever done anything to this measure for her.

"Come on, we gotta get out of here." Baekhyun said, straddling the ledge before dropping onto the ladder. Minah watched as Baekhyun climbed down the ladder. She could see Yixing motioning for her. Minah took a deep breath and decided to trust the boys.  She swung a leg over the fence and slid onto the top step of the ladder.

With the boys' encouraging words, she shimmied down the ladder in seconds. As soon as her foot touched the ground, Chanyeol raced towards her for a hug.  Minah let out a yell as Chanyeol picked her up, spinning her around as he hugged her tightly. Chanyeol had always been an enthusiastic hugger.

Kris was surprisingly the next one to give Minah a hug. She grinned as the latter squeezed her tightly.  "I'm sorry." She whispered in his ear, "I won't leave you, don't worry."

Kris smiled softly, "Thank you."

Yixing gave her a hug next, paired with a sweet kiss on her cheek. Minah grinned, "Where's the mama bird?"

"Luhan? He's in the car with Minseok. We were going to bring him with us but he wanted to beat up your mom so we decided it was safest to leave him behind."

Minah laughed and started to walk towards the front of the house, "Good choice."


 

 

 

 

Yixing turned around to see everyone buckled in their seats. Minah was being coddled by Luhan. The latter was force feeding Minah some rice that he made. Minah only smiled and silently obeyed.   Kris was about to start the car when Yixing stopped him. He got out of the car, yelling, "Give me a minute." before running towards the front door.

Yixing took a deep breath before ringing the door bell. It was late, almost 1 in the morning but this was important. He heard loud footsteps approaching the door before it swung open.

"What the hell is wrong with you, do you even know what ti- oh it's you."

Mrs. Yoon had a curlers in her hair, a fluffy pink bathrobe wrapped around her plump body and a martini in one hand.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Yoon, I would like to have a civilized conversation with you."

"You have nothing to say to m-"

"Minah is in the car, ready to go back to our house. I think you might want to hear what I'm saying."

Mrs. Yoon's face morphed into a very angry expression as she tried to push aside Yixing. But he held his ground.

"Mrs. Yoon, you can't keep Minah in that little protective bubble of yours, you're making her miserable."

"Excuse me, I don't think you have any right-"

Yixing cut her off by pulling out his cellphone. He opened his photo gallery and showed the screen to the angry woman in front of him. He swept through pictures, each one of Minah and one of the boys playing. And each picture had one thing in common, the bright smile on Minah's face.

"Have you ever seen her smile like that Mrs. Yoon?"

Mrs Yoon turned to Yixing, her eyes slowly moistening, "N-not since her father died."

Yixing slid the phone back in his back pocket, "Exactly Mrs Yoon. It took me and the boys at least two months for her to comfortably laugh along with us. I'm not blaming you or criticizing how you raised your child but seeing that she is 19..." Yixing peeked at his watch.  1:12

"20. She is an adult Mrs Yoon. You have to let her go, or else you'll never see that smile."

Yixing bowed deepily, "I'm sorry Mrs Yoon, but I can't just stand by and see one of my best friends be so miserable. She missed enough classes and I'm sure you can video call her anytime. Have a good night." With that, Yixing turned around and walked back to the car with his chin high. He opened the door and got in, ignoring the questioning looks he got.

"Drive."

Kris immediately started the car, pulling out of the driveway and starting the hour journey back to their apartment.

"Minah, we are all here for you. We've all had our rocky pasts, our dysfunctional family issues but we are here for one another. Please never forget that."

Baekhyun nodded earnestly, "Once a Byun, always a Byun."

Minah glanced at Luhan and Minseok with a small smile, "I thought I was a Kim."

"AHHHHHHH!!!!" Luhan squealed as he hugged Minah closely, "I love her, she's my little child, oh my god I love her."

Minah laughed as she wiggled out of Luhan's grasp, "I love you too."

That caused another ear piercing screech from Luhan, "She said she loved me, guys!!!!"

Minah nudged Luhan to be quiet, "I'm serious, I love all you guys. After coming all the way out here for me?"

Minseok squeezed her shoulder gently, "That's what families do. Protect each other and save each other's asses when we're in a tight spot."

Yixing nodded, making eye contact with Minah through the rear view mirror, "We're family now. A close knit family."

There was silence before Yixing spoke up again, "By the way, Happy birthday Minah."

This time, Baekhyun and Chanyeol squealed as well as Luhan.