CHAPTER 9

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My First and Last MV is out! Support our boys!

And since everyone misses Nana, here's an update. Enjoy!

 

 

“I’m sorry, man, but I have plans today,” was what Mark said the next day when Jeno asked his best friend if he could stay with him until he was sure that his parents had left for the airport, hoping that the older would agree. “Teacher Kim has asked me to stay behind later. Something about the dance routine for the festival he’s been pestering me nonstop to choreograph.”

“You could just say that you’re going somewhere with Donghyuck later, I won’t get mad if you tell me the truth,” Jeno answered stoically, shrugged his shoulders and tapped his finger lightly against his wooden desk when he leaned back gradually against the chair, his eyes were fixated on the older seating beside him. No matter how much he tried, Mark was never really a talented liar, the way his lips uncharacteristically quiver as white lies spew from his lips were obvious and Jeno was irresolute on why he even bothered; Jeno was well aware that his best friend had made an agreement with Donghyuck, promising to tutor the younger in Math after class since he desperately needed to pass their next examination.

“I…” being caught red handed, Mark sighed in defeat, looking almost sorry, almost. “My bad, man. But I wasn’t lying though. I still have to meet with Mr. Kim later.”

Deep in his head, he was hoping that Mark would say yes, that he’ll give up the chance to be with Donghyuck to be with him. But that would be selfish. Jeno knew that Mark was a busy person, and had a ton of obligations for the school and his dance club, so he shouldn’t expect much from the older. And everything that concerned Donghyuck was a whole other story.

Mark couldn’t be there all the time for him, even if he badly needed him.

“It’s alright, I understand,” melancholy laced through his words and it made Mark frown.

“You could stay at Winwin-hyung’s place, you know,” he proposed but Jeno made a face. “Oh right, Kun-hyung might be there.”

“I don’t want to burden them,” he explained. “And Le’s got cram school later too.” The other two were nowhere to be found, probably went to the cafeteria to buy food which left the both of them by themselves in their classroom.

Mark was contemplating; fingers girthed his chin, brows furrowed in concentration, enumerating possible solutions to Jeno’s distress. Mark knew that Jeno was impassively avoiding his parents— and was doing an excellent job at it. However, the older was completely against it, especially since Jeno rarely sees his parents for they were always away, but he knew the younger has his reasons, so he decided to side with him. But Jeno really shouldn’t avoid them, Mark believed.

Running away from his problems was cowardly, and somehow childish— so unlike Jeno. Nothing good will come out from it.

Noisy chatter then spread into the room, voices coming from outside sounded near and clearer, disrupting Mark’s thoughts and turned around to face the intruders. Donghyuck and Jaemin came striding inside the room side by side, talking; and at the sight of the younger brunette with dishevelled locks and a lively demeanour, a bright idea then stuck Mark, an invisible bulb lighted above his head.

“Hey Jae, you doing anything later?” Mark asked from his seat, noting the frown on Donghyuck’s face as he hadn’t greeted him and directly went to talk to Jaemin instead.

“I don’t have plans. Why?” Jaemin was muddled by the sudden question.

“Great,” he exclaimed idly. He feels bad for doing this, for dragging Jaemin into other people’s business, but desperate situations call for desperate measures. “Can you keep Jeno company after class?” Mark was beating the bush, no remorse in his tone whatsoever. “Keep him company for a few hours?”

The younger, however, was left dumbfounded. “What?”

 

Despite his carefree nature, Jaemin overthinks too much sometimes and it’s taking its toll on him; mentally, emotionally, and physically. The memory of him crying as they rode the Ferris wheel and Jeno soothing his tears away for he was terrified was still vivid in his mind, and it haunted him to a point that he couldn’t sleep well later on that night. He sported dark circles under his eyes the next day when he went to class and hadn’t dodged insults being flung at him by his friends, Donghyuck’s mostly.

After what had happened between Jeno and him, Jaemin was feeling at edge most of the time. It was the ridiculous. He kept thinking about those warm hands wrapped around his, those slender fingers that perfectly fitted his when they intertwined, those soft and gentle words that tickled his ears when they slipped pass the elder’s lips, and he couldn’t stop thinking about a certain male in particular.

Jaemin was somehow jumpy about seeing him today, his stomach kept fluttering, and he wasn’t sure why. Even as they made their way towards the other classroom across the hall, his heart’s uneven beats were definitely prominent, and he was hoping Donghyuck wouldn’t hear it.

And as he saw Jeno when they entered, it made it even worse. Why was he acting like this though? It was strange.

Jaemin mentally tried to keep his cool as he and Donghyuck made their way towards them, the two being the only ones inside the room. He was half expecting to greet Jeno first but Mark beat him to it and asked him a rather weird question.

Taken aback by the sudden request, Jaemin frowned. “What?” he managed to croak out.

“You know, can he stay at your place like until 7?”

Not quite comprehending the situation at hand, he looked over at Jeno, supposing the other male to add something, to aid Jaemin in fully grasping what was up. But the said male only met his gaze for a second before he smiled apologetically at him.

“He needs somewhere to stay for a bit. I can’t stay with him since I have somewhere to be,” Mark added. “It’s urgent.”

He nodded unknowingly, aware that the older and his best friend were supposed to meet later as Donghyuck had told him earlier. He had been teasing Donghyuck about it all morning when he found out. But Jaemin was sceptical on why Jeno needed to be somewhere, somewhere else when he could just go home like he always does. Jaemin was starting to get nervous from all of this and thought he shouldn’t have come to the special class’ classroom at all. “What’s the catch?”

There had to be something more to this. The wish was bizarre and Mark’s ins and outs don’t justify anything, it doesn’t make any sense at all.

“Personal reasons.” Mark answered and shrugged dismissively, somewhat leaving him with no room to decline, elicited his approval. Donghyuck eyed the eldest, his forehead creased, somewhat against the idea, but also demanding an explanation from the older. Mark gave him a look when he noticed the glare, offered a small smile and a nod, suggesting that they’ll talk about it later when they’re alone. But it doesn’t change the fact that Donghyuck’s still displeased by the notion. “Could he?”

“Mark, you shouldn’t pressure him like that,” Jeno scolded lowly. “I don’t mind if-”

“No! It’s alright!” Jaemin interrupted in staccato, voice slightly too high for his liking which made the three other males look at him. “You could stay with me, have dinner at our house,” Jaemin offered, turning to the older. He wasn’t sure what had gotten over him when he said that.

It was quiet for a minute, either parties contemplating on what to add next, being careful as to not make matters worse.

“You sure?” Jeno asked gravely, not wanting to force the younger into something he didn’t want to do. Although the idea of being with Jaemin for a few hours was almost too tempting to refuse, Jeno doesn’t like to be a burden for him, for anyone else at that matter. “I don’t wanna be a bother.”

“U-uhm, I’m sure, it’s alright,” he retorted, slightly unsure, yet equally definite to aid the older. “I’ll tell my mom about it.”

Jeno’s face instantly brightened, genuinely thankful, and it made Jaemin speechless before he went to run outside, to call his mom. But the mixture of pink and red tinting his cheeks was definitely left unnoticed.

“Meeting the parents already, huh?” Donghyuck snickered when Jaemin was out of earshot, his tone teasing as he gazed at the older and gave him a smirk before he shook his head. “You’re fast, Lee Jeno. Smooth, very smooth.”

 

As soon as the school bell rang, the sound bouncing off through the walls, Jeno fixed his things in a huff and hid them sensibly inside his bag. He left the room, before saying goodbye to his friends. They gave him encouraging smiles and wished him luck— Jeno wasn’t sure what for— and went hurriedly down the hall to Jaemin’s classroom.

He arrived there just in time for the other to be heading out the door, his friends following closely behind, smiling wide as he conversed him them.

No matter how many times he has seen the younger grin freely ever since they became friends, he would never get tired at seeing him like that. There was something about Jaemin’s smiles that would make one stop, forget about everything else and just admire him quietly, basking at the spectacle. It was different, something that only Jaemin had. It was special.

“Hey,” he greeted in jovial as he made his way towards them, eyes on Jaemin.

The way Jaemin’s orbs widen at the sight of him making his way towards him, before he beamed a few seconds after, at the realization that it was Jeno, a sneer tugging on the corner of his lips, was cute in Jeno’s opinion that he couldn’t resist returning the act. “Hey.”

Jeno was often complimented for his smiles but they were nothing if compared to the younger’s. Jaemin’s smiles were just so beautiful that it appears surreal most of the time, almost fabricated and faux, but it wasn’t. His whole face would brighten by tenfolds if he did and it made him more pretty than he already was, adorable even. Everything about Jaemin was ethereal, worthy of praises.

Then a sudden cough caught their attention, unsettling the other’s train of thought, bursting this invisible bubble they had between them. “Hey Jeno,” a familiar voice said. Jeno was greeted by Donghyuck’s mischievous simper when he turned and heard a couple more of Jaemin’s friends making side comments here and there, entertained grins plastered on their faces as they eyed Jeno thoroughly.

“Wow, so it’s true then? You and Lee Jeno?” their classmate, a boy named Rocky— whom Jeno was acquainted with— said, intended for Jaemin, a sly smirk ghosting his face that could rival Donghyuck’s. “And here I thought Donghyuck was lying.”

“Donghyuck was right then,” Chan— another one of their friends— chimed in gleefully before he sl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter