CHAPTER 7

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There would be a bunch of overlooked errors so sorry in advance. TT

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D

 

After all the drama and Donghyuck prying on how they met, Jeno and Jaemin became very good friends; they grew close and everyone warmed up to the idea that they would be around each other often. Jaemin and Donghyuck would hang out with them in their classroom after lunch. It had turned into their little routine; even Chenle and Winwin would join them sometimes— if Winwin wasn’t too busy pestering Kun that is.

Every day at school, usually in their last class in the morning, Jeno would notice the palpable longing luminous in Mark’s eyes whenever the latter stares into oblivion, brows slightly twitching for he was deep in thought. But Jeno knew that the older was just excited— excited for the lunch bell to ring, a signal that their two friends from the other class would come by and meet them and Jeno would be lying if he denied he wasn’t eager to see a certain male.

“Has Ten-hyung already told you guys?” Donghyuck asked one day when they had already eaten lunch and were gathered at the back most part of the room, sprawled on the floor, chatting when Donghyuck decided to bring the topic up.

“About?”

“I’m not talking to you,” he snapped at Jaemin when he asked which made the latter snicker.

“Well you didn’t specify who you’re talking to, how was I to know that you’re not talking to me?” he argued back, earning a chuckle from the others, amused by his witty reply.

“Shut up!” Donghyuck glared at all of them, feeling crossed that they were laughing right in front of his face. Talk about lack of decency. Can’t they see that he was at a dilemma here?

Apparently, both had an argument beforehand and weren’t actually keen about hiding it from them at all. “Well, what is it anyway?” Mark asked just in time before Donghyuck exploded— and he would prefer his day to be peaceful rather that coaxing a pissed Donghyuck— reaching for the other’s shoulder, trying to get him to relax.

Feeling the elder’s fingers brush faintly against his shoulder, he flinched, shrugging the elder’s hand off. Mark frowned— feeling rejected— retrieved his hand before Donghyuck cleared his throat, shooing the butterflies fluttering in the pit of his stomach away. “Ehem. As I was saying, he’s planning a small party. He told me a few days ago and wants everyone to come.”

“A party again?” Chenle made a face, insensible of the bizarre way the older was acting around Mark. “No thanks.”

Memories of the Ten’s birthday party flooded Chenle’s mind and his desire of going through the same misery like last time wasn’t profound, thankyouverymuch. Ten’s party just meant trouble for the youngest.

“It’s not the usual type of party that he throws, Le. It’s just a small gathering,” Donghyuck further explained, “just us and the hyungs, this weekend.”

“That sounds fun,” Winwin commented, somehow liking the idea and turned to the youngest, urging him to go with him. “I’m in, so Le’s going with.”

At the sound of Chenle whining at the eldest for making decisions on his own, Mark looked over at Jeno, sanguine that the younger might sit out again just like he had on the prior parties Ten and the others had invited him to. As he felt his best friend’s familiar gaze fixated on him, Jeno stared back, waited for the older to say something; the look Mark gave him made him thought so.

“What?”

“How about it Jeno?” Mark prompted. “Are you gonna come or not?”

He blinked a couple of times, uncertain on how to answer the query.

“You’re thinking of not going?” Jaemin asked, genuinely curious when he regarded him.

“I’m not so sure.”

“Jeno doesn’t really like parties,” Winwin commented. “Are you going?” he asked, referring to Jaemin.

“Well, me and Donghyuck are definitely coming since Ten-hyung has been bugging me nonstop about it,” Jaemin trailed off, scratched the tip of his nose out of habit, sounded a bit shy which made Donghyuck look at him, rather sceptical. “Would you come too?” eyes on Jeno when he questioned again.

Jeno looked up and searched Jaemin’s eyes when he turned. The young lad wasn’t definite on what he was looking for exactly but the tiny gleam in his eyes and the way Jaemin bit his lower lip, hands balled into fists resting against his knees, mindful that the older was staring at him before he diverted his gaze somewhere else other than Jeno’s; it made him assume that probably, probably, Jaemin wanted him to be there.

Or was he being too hopeful?

Jeno sighed, finally decisive.

“Okay then, count me in.”                                                                 

 

The small gatherings they had as a group weren’t extravagant; it was the simplest kind— dinner, a few games, and barbeque. The younger kids had arrived earlier, were scattered on Ten’s living room floor, playing a video game, Ten had took out from his room, attached to the flat screen television to keep them busy while they wait for the food to be cooked.

“Hey hyung, is Jeno coming?” Chenle asked Donghyuck, both were playing a street fighter game against each other.

“Isn’t he with Mark-hyung?” Jaemin, who was their spectator, sat beside the older and asked.

“I already texted Mark. He said he’s on his way but he didn’t mention if Jeno was with him or not,” the other answered, eyes still focused on the telly, fingers busy pushing too many buttons at the same time.

Jaehyun, Mark’s brother, came early with his boyfriend, Doyoung, in toll and said that the younger would be arriving late since he had something else to do.

Jaemin arrived alongside Yuta and Hansol. He was supposed to go with Donghyuck but the older males insisted he came with them and as much as he wanted to escape their not-so-subtle, shameless flirting, when Hansol— nevermind his brother— asks him anything, Jaemin could never say no.

“Maybe Jeno decided not to come after all,” Winwin, cuddled on the couch with his boyfriend, oblivious that the younger kid’s found the scene disgusting, added. “We all know him.”

Jaemin frowned at the assertion but chose not to believe it and made no comment. Jeno said he would come so he would most definitely be there, he was sure of it. Maybe he was just running in late? Jaemin thought.

But it would have seemed like everyone thought otherwise. Apparently, they had anticipated that Jeno wouldn’t come and hadn’t asked many questions as to where the boy was. They have gotten used that whenever Jaemin is around, Jeno isn’t or vice versa.

So it definitely came as a shock to everyone when Jeno arrived much later on that night, trailing behind Mark, both looking completely handsome when the door was opened for them. Both boys were wearing casual clothes just like the rest of them but somehow the clothes they wore on their backs became unworthy of them, they outshone everything in the vacancy.

Jaemin was awestruck when he saw the two strutting— Mark maybe, Jeno was just pacing quietly, hands stuffed in his pockets— as they walked in when Johnny opened the door. What is it with them and why do they seem dangerously attractive tonight?

And of course, their hyungs noticed. Jaemin heard Johnny blurted out side comments as the two made their way towards them; Kun even wolf whistled, causing the others to break into fits of laughter.

“Hey Mark, why did you dress up? Trying to impress someone?” Seeing that the younger had indeed styled himself up that night, and even did something with his hair that made it look twice as nice as it usually is, Jaehyun teased.

Loving the attention, Mark threw a mischievous smirk their way and Jaemin was sure his best friend was a blushing mess besides him, forgetting about the game that they were playing, gawking at the newly arrived guests.

Ten, who had just got out of the kitchen with Taeyong, after noticing the duo’s arrival, made a beeline for them. Mark greeted the night’s host with a casual smile which the older gladly reciprocated. He then turned to Jeno and immediately caught him in tight embrace, shocking the younger, stumbling backwards before he caught himself.

“Uhh, hyung?” Jeno tried his best not to squirm or show any sign of discomfort but Ten hugging him wasn’t normal and the younger found the whole situation quite odd. Mark hadn’t said anything, just stared at the two with a grin.

“Oh! Sorry Jeno. I’m just so glad you came,” Ten said cheerfully, released the younger, “come this way,” and ushered the two like VIP guests to where the rest were at the living room.

“You’re staring,” a whisper from behind Jaemin came.

“What?” He turned his head faintly and scowled as he saw the other smirk at him, arms rested against the couch, body slightly bended as he followed the younger’s gaze, nevertheless, Jaemin found his sight unconsciously returning to Jeno.

“You are staring,” his older brother, Yuta, repeated, sounded amused. It was a good thing Donghyuck— still staring at Mark—  hadn’t been paying them any attention or he would have heard what Yuta said and Jaemin knew he would be doomed if that happened.

“At?” he asked, not bothering to take his eyes off Jeno as the latter was enveloped in hugs by their hyungs. He smiled unintentionally as he saw the older chuckle when Jaehyun ruffled his hair and Doyoung patting his shoulder.

Yuta saw the way how Jaemin’s eyes tempered for a fraction of a second as it lingered on the other and snorted, “who else?”

“I’m not,” he denied. “You’re imagining things.” But Yuta knew better. He leered at him before he left and went back to Hansol, who was outside with Taeil.

“Sure, say whatever helps you sleep soundly at night.”

 

Jeno found it kind of awkward at first, being treated differently by the other hyungs, but knowing that they were only acting like that since they hardly see him at school and he seldom hangs out with their group, he decided to just be comfortable around them; laid back and enjoyed his self.

Everyone perceived the evident changes in the younger’s attitude that night; he was more sociable than he had ever been and he talked more than he usually does. He was livelier in some sense and somehow, it made him more handsome than he already was— if that was even possible.

Such thoughts remained unspoken for they fear of voicing them out loud, left Jeno in peace, not wanting the younger to feel like being happy was a crime, they did not dare questioned him.

Well, except for one person.

Taeyong just couldn’t sit still at all, squirming on his seat, feet tapping against the floor excessively and had been eyeing the younger the whole duration of the night— Taeyong was just too nosy for his own good. The other guys gave him weird looks when they caught what he was doing, like he was some sort of creep but paid it no mind and kept of thinking of a way to corner Jeno, to talk to him.

Heaven seemed to have heard his distress and gave him the chance he had been asking for. Everyone was already outside, at the garden. Jeno stood up from his seat silently and went to feast his eyes on the variety of floras on the nearest flower box, close to where the door towards the kitchen was. The younger kids— excluding him— were running around and playing tag while the older hyungs were setting up the tables and grill for the barbeque and yet he chose to admire the plants in silence instead of joining in— typical Lee Jeno.

“Hey kid.”

“Hi hyung,” Jeno greeted the older with a smile as Taeyong stood beside him.

“Uhh, so, why aren’t you joining them?” he asked, referring to the other kids, trying to start a conversation slowly, afraid he might make things awkward between them if he went directly to his point.

“I’m tired.”

“Ahh, I see,” the older scratched his nape uneasily, irresolute on what to say next.

Damn it Lee Taeyong! Use your mouth and ask him straight! No more side topics!

“So, uhm,” he stuttered, mentally cursing his self for being nervous. Pull yourself together Taeyong, he’s just a kid!

“Is there something you wanna talk about hyung?” the younger pried, sensing the elder’s struggles, wanting to ease his uneasiness.

“Huh? Ah, you see,” he looked around swiftly, in search of an alibi, Jeno waited for him to continue. “So, umhm, well.. Y-Yuta’s been pushing me to ask you this,” he said the first thing that came into his mind. Why Yuta of all people?

“Okay?” Jeno was certain that the older was lying but then decided to just play along. “What is it hyung?”

It took a lot of courage before Taeyong managed to blurt out, “are you seeing someone?”

One.

Two.

Three.

Jeno blinked three times, clueless, head trying to process wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter