CHAPTER 14

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ENJOY Y'ALL! XOXO

 

 

 

“Here.” Jaemin had just gotten back from the kitchen after rampaging through their fridge and threw a small chocolate packet at Donghyuck which the other easily caught, thanks to his amazing reflex.

 

“What’s this for?” Donghyuck asked, stared at the pack in between his fingers confusingly. It was KitKat, his favorite.

 

“Chocolate makes everything better,” Jaemin explained. “Now, stop complaining or I’m taking it back.”

 

After that rather strange fiasco at the mall, the two decided to head on home, to Jaemin’s house more precisely. Since Donghyuck was still feeling quite down while on the way, Jaemin, being the kind best friend that he was, offered to let Donghyuck spend the night at Jaemin’s to keep him company, until his boiling rage simmered down and was controllable again. Donghyuck had already called his mom and asked permission, Jaemin even did the liberty of letting the older borrow his clothes for the evening so he could get changed. They were just waiting to be called down for dinner; Jaemin’s mom was still in the middle of cooking up something for them.

 

“So, care to tell me what really happened?” Jaemin sat on his bed, cross legged. He figured that Donghyuck was finally ready to open up so he asked. Besides Donghyuck mentioning Mark’s name in a fit of fury, Jaemin still had no clue what went down for the other to act up like he did.

 

But Donghyuck hadn’t answered immediately, he finished his small snack instead before he crumpled the wrapper and threw it inside Jaemin’s waste basket at the side of the room then dropped himself onto the younger’s bed. “You know Koeun, right?”

 

Jaemin tilted his head to the side thoughtfully. “Rings a bell. Sounds familiar but I can’t seem to recall the name.”

 

“You probably know her. She’s the same year as us. But she moved to a different school in the middle of our first year, went abroad probably,” Donghyuck continued. “She was really well known before she left. She was even friends with Mark’s gang.”

 

“And?”

 

“She and Mark …. well, everyone thought they were together back then.”

 

The revelation was something Jaemin hadn’t expected, not at all. He raised a questioning brow at his best friend. “And you thought so too, huh?”

 

“Well, duh. Were you even listening? They were always together,” Donghyuck said, emphasizing on his words. “Who wouldn’t?”

 

“Oh right, I think I remember her now.” If Jaemin’s memory served him right then he was certain he had met that girl before if she really was a friend of Mark’s. “Wasn’t she friends with Hina, too? The pretty one?” Hina was a mutual friend of theirs, a classmate.

 

Donghyuck snorted at the term Jaemin used before he pushed himself back up to sit properly. “Yeah, that’s her. The pretty one.”

 

“Okay… but what got you so worked up earlier anyway?” Jaemin dared to ask. He still didn’t get where Donghyuck was going with the conversation. “Was it because of her?”

 

Donghyuck bit his lower bit, he looked faintly anxious for some reason and Jaemin was confused as to why he was. “I don’t know, Koeun suddenly approached us at the mall earlier and Mark’s face just lit up when he saw her.” He sighed. “It was insulting … in a way. Mark never looks at me like that.”

 

“Wow Hyuck, that’s …”

 

“Petty? Yeah, I know.” Donghyuck laughed, but it was bitter, laced with venom and it made Jaemin shiver unconsciously. “Couldn’t help it though. No matter how hard I wanted to.”

 

Jaemin frowned. “So you got ….”

 

“I got jealous,” Donghyuck finished the younger’s sentence for him, sparing him the trouble.

 

“You….. got jealous?” Jaemin clarified. Oh how Jaemin wanted to laugh, he really did. But he controlled himself, not wanting to make Donghyuck even more pissed than he already was. The mere fact that his best friend honestly admitted something embarrassing was already amusing enough in Jaemin’s part. Damn, Mark-hyung got him whipped.

 

“Hard to believe, right?” Though it stained his ego and it badly wounded his pride, Lee Donghyuck really got jealous because of some girl. “Damn that Mark Lee.”

 

“It’s alright,” Jaemin assured, even reached for the other’s shoulder and gave him an encouraging pat. “Everybody goes through that at some point.”

 

“Well, I hate it,” Donghyuck answered back, almost seething. “It’s not a very nice feeling y’know.”

 

“It never is,” Jaemin retorted. Jealousy wasn’t the sort of emotion Jaemin was foreign with after all. “But don’t you have the right to get jealous? I mean, you guys are together, right?”

 

Donghyuck turned to him almost hurriedly and gave him a weird look, like Jaemin had said something very offensive and Donghyuck was ready to smack him on the head. “Nana, we’re not dating,” Donghyuck clarified. And it took a few seconds more before Jaemin understood what he meant. “Sure, we hang around a lot and Mark takes really good care of me, and I annoy him to no end but … we never made it official.”

 

“Wow, you would have never guessed.” Jaemin snorted, very unimpressed. Donghyuck and Mark weren’t together? Like Jaemin would believe an obvious lie like that. With the way they’ve been acting, it made no sense at all.

 

“Well, same goes for you and Jeno. Everyone thinks you guys are together except for yourselves.” Donghyuck had his arms crossed idly, a challenging look on his features as he quirked a brow, provoking Jaemin, but the latter wasn’t in the mood for a fight just yet. “If that's the case, you’re just as guilty as we are then.”

 

“Leave me out of this.” As much as Jaemin wanted to prove Donghyuck wrong and defend himself, he didn’t want to talk about Jeno at the moment, not when Jaemin didn’t know what he should even talk about in the first place. Just thinking about the older male was already mentally and emotionally taxing and Jaemin had enough for the day, thankyouverymuch. “This is about you and Mark-hyung. Not about me and Jeno.”

 

Donghyuck didn’t like backing down in the middle of a possible dispute but the look Jaemin spared him was enough to say that their argument could be considered for another day. It wasn’t defeat, not yet, but he should at least cut Jaemin some slack; after all, Jaemin did a lot for him that day.

 

Then suddenly, Donghyuck gradually leaned sideways until the back of his head was resting against Jaemin’s left thigh, using it as a pillow, and he stayed there. Though Jaemin feigned disgust and annoyance and squirmed in place so Donghyuck would move, Jaemin smiled secretly. Despite their casual arguments and petty fights, he missed Donghyuck being like that; childish, arrogant as hell yet overly affectionate. The Donghyuck he grew up with was awkward with his words and made his intentions clear with his actions instead. Donghyuck was strangely comfortable with skinship. “So why aren’t you and Mark-hyung dating yet?” Jaemin was playing with Donghyuck’s hair since the latter refused to budge. “It should be about time.”

 

Donghyuck was staring at the ceiling of Jaemin’s room, admiring the uneven paint job like it was the most fascinating thing on earth while he was deep in thought, but still purred softly as Jaemin’s hand caressed his hair gently. “The idea was appealing at some point but I was contented with what we have. I never asked Mark about it ‘cause I never thought we ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter