CHAPTER 13

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days passed by like a breeze and before anyone managed to notice, Christmas break was fast approaching, just a few more weeks away and everyone was ecstatic about the holidays.

It was a Sunday, the boys were at the mall, hanging out and shopping for some gifts like they had planned a few days prior. Since they came in with their usual pairs, they had decided to split up into two; Chenle dragged Renjun to the nearest ice cream parlor, Kun and Winwin were who knew where, Mark and Donghyuck said they had other business to take care of, and which automatically left both Jaemin and Jeno by themselves. When the others went their separate ways and it was just them, the air shared between Jeno and Jaemin became very awkward; none were saying anything and Jaemin didn’t like it one bit.

Jeno rarely talked, he knew that already, but why was it suddenly a big deal for Jaemin? What drastically changed between them? Was it because Jaemin wanted Jeno to pay more attention to him? Or was it because he had finally managed to realize his hidden affections for the other male that being left alone with Jeno was nerve wrecking and was messing with his mind? But whatever the reason was, Jaemin needed to sort them out; he can’t let Jeno know he was experiencing that sort of dilemma. He just can’t. However, the whole ordeal proved itself to be quite easier than he expected when Jeno was the first one who initiated a casual conversation, brought up a light topic they could talk about as they were discussing on where to head onto next, Jaemin was very thankful that Jeno was capable of salvaging the situation on his own.

As they walked together, Jeno eagerly told him that he finally decided to spend his holidays with his Mom in China and even managed to talk to his Dad about visiting France on the next vacation. Although shocked, his parents were ultimately happy with his decision. Jeno then asked Jaemin if the latter could accompany him to buy some gifts for his younger step-brother. The proposition made Jaemin smile and he agreed right away. Despite the obvious loath he had for his parents before, Jeno had finally warmed up to them bit by bit; it was great progress, huge progress. Jeno’s face suddenly lit up when he turned to Jaemin and thanked him with utmost sincerity, if it wasn’t for Jaemin, Jeno wouldn’t have even mustered the guts to talk to his parents at all. Jaemin felt very proud at that certain moment, he was happy that he was able to influence the older in that sort of way even though he hadn’t done anything significant.

They decided to head to the toy store to look around, searching for prospect gifts that Jeno should bring with him to China. Jeno had neither seen nor met his step-siblings before so he was kind of worried on what he should give them; although it was late, he wanted to make a good impression on them. Seeing the usual calm Jeno become indecisive about something as vague as gifts warmed Jaemin’s heart. It was cute, Jaemin thought.

But apparently, the day wasn’t going to be as smooth sailing as Jaemin first thought it would be; the rocky waters were bound to come much later. It was just ….. Jeno wasn’t dressed any differently, he was wearing the same casual clothes he’d normally wear on various occasions but he still managed to attract attention no matter the location. Wherever they went, a bunch of girls would turn their heads at their direction, eyes focused on Jeno, giggled and squealed, whispered under their breaths about how handsome he looked and surprisingly, Jaemin heard them all. It was really irritating, how Jeno was able to attract other people without even doing anything. And the worst part was that Jeno didn’t seem to mind and it annoyed Jaemin more.

How could he stand it? Being the center of it all without feeling uncomfortable?

 

 

After several minutes of looking through a bunch of video games and action figures, Jeno had finally bought the gift that he wanted. The corner of his lips curled up into an undeniable happy smile when the cashier handed him the items that he purchased after paying for them. He was like a little kid whilst holding the paper bag and Jaemin couldn’t help but let out a soft snicker.

“Jeno?” a feminine voice suddenly called from behind as Jaemin and Jeno were headed for the shop’s exit. Jeno instantly turned around, recognizing the soft voice and was greeted with a familiar face when he did. “It’s really you, Jeno-ah!”

“Noona!” Jeno said, he broke into another wide smile when the seemingly older brunette girl neared them.

 “Look at you. It feels like I haven’t seen you in a while.” The girl ruffled Jeno’s locks endearingly when she reached for him despite their obvious height difference. “You’ve become so handsome.”

Jeno chuckled. “Noona, it has only been a few months.”

“But still…”

 

Jaemin could only stare back and forth at the girl and at Jeno. The way they spoke to each other was with familiarity and there was no confounding that they indeed knew each other, were probably even close for all Jaemin was aware of.

Who was she?

And there it was again; that unsettling and unpleasant feeling sitting at the pit of Jaemin’s stomach at the idea of Jeno being close to some girl.

 

 

Noticing the lack of reaction from Jaemin’s side and as he if he could read the younger’s mind, “Nana, this is my cousin,” Jeno introduced, gestured for the girl in front of them. “Noona, this is Jaemin.”

 

 

“What?”

Jaemin suddenly felt relieved at the statement. Thank goodness it was just another one of Jeno’s cousins.

“I’m Irene, nice to meet you.” She held out a hand and Jaemin took it almost instantly and gave it a friendly shake. At the proximity, the latter got the perfect chance to stare at her properly. Irene was smiling, her lashes would flutter gracefully and she looked very beautiful; probably the most beautiful girl— besides his mother— Jaemin had ever seen in his life.

“Where were you heading to, Noona?” Jeno asked.

“I was with Koeun, but she ran off som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter