CHAPTER 15

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Will probably end this in 5 chapters or less but let's not think about that. lol. This is short but please, do enjoy!

------

 

It was one cold Saturday evening. Jaemin and the gang were at Ten’s house for another small group dinner. Like the usual, they ate, played a few games and fooled around. It was fun at first, but it became awkward, very awkward. Amidst Mark’s continuous attempts to get on Donghyuck’s good side, trying to corner him so that they could talk in private to make amends, everything Mark did was backfiring on him. Donghyuck avoided him like he was the plague and ignored him all throughout the night. And Jeno— he wasn’t any better.

 

Jaemin and Jeno were not talking to each other again. Jeno was casual about it, silent like he usually was and Jaemin was the one suffering more at first glance. It was torture— the worst kind. Jaemin knew that it was his fault since he was the one who practically told Jeno to stay away from him in the first place, but he could not bring himself to talk to Jeno again and apologize for what he did, for the harsh words that he said. It was for the best, he thought.

 

But why did it hurt? One look at Jeno and that blank expression he had on his face pained Jaemin’s heart. All he wanted was for Jeno to be happy but—

 

Everyone caught on eventually. Donghyuck was the first to ask, Jaemin told the former everything. Donghyuck thought that Jaemin was only doing it because he was avoiding Mark but it was Jaemin’s own decision. He was pathetic, a coward; he couldn’t face Jeno, he couldn’t speak to him, he couldn’t go on like they used to, he couldn’t bring himself to accept the fact that he might— probably like Jeno.

 

And of course, the other guys also noticed. The hyungs were concerned— especially Ten and Doyoung. But when they asked Winwin and Chenle what was the wrong— since Donghyuck wasn’t going to tell them anything— the two wouldn’t answer, they couldn’t; they knew they shouldn’t. They knew better than to get themselves involved with their friends’ personal banters.

 

So the evening wore on just like that and Jaemin was suddenly alone. Jeno and Mark were nowhere to be found. Donghyuck already left since it was getting late and his driver had arrived to pick him up. Jaemin was just waiting for his brother— who was missing as well— so they could head home together since Yuta brought his car. Jaemin was tired— physically and emotionally— and all he wanted was to sleep to clear his mind somehow, his thoughts were getting toxic by the second and it somewhat ticked him off.

 

“Hey, Jaemin-ah,” a voice called from behind and Jaemin turned his head marginally to face its owner.

 

“Hyung ….” Jaemin greeted the other with a familiar smile.

 

It was Taeyong.

 

 

 

 

Taeyong took a nearby chair and sat beside him, offered the younger a cup of grape juice which the latter gratefully took. They sat in silence and Jaemin grew nervous with each passing second, he clasped onto the paper cup in his clutch to keep himself sane. He knew that Taeyong was going to talk to him; Taeyong was perceptive and keen but his maternal instincts got the better of him most of the time and was nosy for his own good. “Hey, is something up between you and Jeno?” Taeyong finally asked. “Jeno seems like he’s in a bad mood and so are you. He doesn’t talk much nowadays too.”

 

“Yeah, he does so.” Jaemin gulped inaudibly, trying to clear the agonizing lump that had formed at the back of his throat.

 

“Look, I know I might be overstepping myself here but I know that something’s wrong,” Taeyong started. “I’ve known Jeno for a really long time but this is probably the most dejected I’ve seen him since his parents left and I’m very worried.” Though Taeyong liked all of his younger friends equally and showed no sign of favoritism to any of them, Jeno had always been special case for Taeyong. He was very protective of him. Jeno wasn’t weak, per say, but there was something about the latter that made him want to shield Jeno from the world itself. Taeyong’s family was close to Mark’s, thus became undeniably close to Jeno’s. Taeyong had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter