CHAPTER 8

Take A Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I apologize if it took us so long to update. TT I have different writing projects going on (namely pentagon fics) and axidreinn has been busy so it took us a while.

So yeah, this chapter marks the end of the first half of the story line. We planned on making this last for 15  chapters, so we're almost there. Lol. Expect Chapter 9 to be out in a few days, I'm in the middle of beta reading it at the moment, so there. 

Thank you for being patient with us! TT Comments and votes are loved, of course. :) Don't hesitate to drop us anything, if you've seen errors or alike.

The Dream line is having a comeback and I'm already hyped up. Please do support our lovely boys! <3

Anyway, enjoy reading! - KIIESAA

 

“Oh my gosh, it’s packed,” Jaemin exclaimed in awe when he arrived at their arranged meeting place, mouth agape as he saw how many people were scattered at the front entrance of the amusement park, cheerful babble spread unto the air as they waited in cues to get inside. He was alone when he came and stood close to the gate so that his friends would immediately see him, scanning the area with excitement evident in his eyes.

“Exactly. What was Jeno-hyung even thinking, wanting to go to a crowded place when he was awkward in crowds?” said a person who snuck up behind him which startled him.

“Waah!” he shrieked with both of his hands on his chest, stumbled a few steps back, shaken by the other’s sudden presence while the latter only looked at him like a clueless child, blinked innocently through long eyelashes. “Aish! Chenle-ya, you gave me a scare!” he whined at the younger, stomped his foot childishly to the ground, not entertained by the younger’s pranks. “Geez, you should have said something. Don’t creep on me like that!”

“But I was behind your back all this time, hyung,” Chenle replied, tilted his head slightly. “It’s not my fault you can’t feel my presence.”

“Aish this kid.” Jaemin shot him a glare which made the younger chuckled lowly, amused at how the former acted.

“Hyung really haven’t changed at all,” he commented as he shook his head, “still as cranky as ever when caught off guard.”

Jaemin barely resisted the urge to roll his eyes and brush the younger aside before he suggested that they find a place to sit, complained about getting tired from standing. They casually chatted about random things as they sat by a nearby bench, patiently waiting for their friends to arrive. It was a Sunday and they’ve agreed to hang out at the amusement park a few days before. It was Jeno’s idea and Jaemin was confused why the older even suggested it in the first place, knowing Jeno’s personality.

Chenle was an energetic person, he was fully aware of that. As their conversation progressed, the way he talked and brought out topics to discuss on was both engaging and interesting; Jaemin enjoyed his company. Chenle might be lucifer’s spawn and was very naughty and playful, but he was a ball of sunshine nonetheless.

“So hyung, how was it?” the younger’s spontaneous question came which left him to stare at Chenle in confusion, unable to comprehend what he was talking about. “You know,” he prompted, “you, being friends with Jeno-hyung, meeting him. How was it?”

Taken aback, Jaemin was incapable of coming up with an abrupt reply, puzzled as to why the query was brought to light in the first place.

“You sound as if being friends with him is a bad thing.”

“I didn’t mean it like that,” the younger defended, lips puckered into a pout. “You both didn’t know each other before, although you have the same set of friends. I find it intriguing. I find you very interesting, hyung.”

Hearing Chenle’s answer, the older embraced himself in a protective stance, and immediately scooted a few inches away to put distance between them which resulted into the younger male laughing ridiculously at him.

“You look stupid, hyung,” the latter uttered after calming down from his fit of laughter. “I’m not interested in you that way,” he emphasized, tone rather close to mocking. “And besides I already have a boyfriend. I just find you fascinating as a person.” Chenle explained, shrugged his shoulders.

“Wait, can you say that again?”

“What? That I find you interesting as a person?” he repeated. “Is it the first time someone ever told you that, hyung?”

“Not that stupid, before that!” the older huffed.

“That I have a very adorable boyfriend whom I love just as much and will never exchange with anyone else?”

“Too much unnecessary information,” Jaemin grimaced in disinterest at the revelation. “But why is it that this is the first time I’ve heard you got a boyfriend? How come I’ve never seen him before? Who is he?”

“That’s a lot of questions, hyung,” the younger retorted. “You’re pushing your luck.”

“Just answer them,” he hissed, rolled his eyes in exasperation.

Chenle shrugged simply, began talking about his distant lover to the older naturally. There was a tinge of fondness in his voice as he spoke of him and Jaemin found it endearing. Apparently from what the younger said, they had met in China a few years back and the other goes to school here. “I’ve introduced him to the other hyungs when he came to visit last summer but you weren’t there. I don’t think Donghyuck-hyung has met him either.”

“So you’re on a long distance relationship, huh?” he asked, genuinely surprised that the other was willing to compromise in a situation of such. There had been a lot of group gatherings he and his best friend had missed in the past so it was probably inevitable. “I guess you’ve got it tough at times.”

“Yeah, He rarely comes back to hang out with us. We always talk through calls though,” Chenle answered, his expression softened as he lagged off. “I miss him almost every hour of the day. Sometimes, calling him just makes it worse. I just end up missing him more. It’s not the same when we’re far away, I’m seeking for more. That’s why whenever he visits, I never want to let him go.” The latter sighed, heavy with burden, but the undeniable trace of longing was still prominent, as if he’s recalling memories of them being together right then and there, his eyes were luminous with affection when he opened them.

Jaemin smiled in satisfaction at the sight, somehow proud of the younger. Harboring such pure and innocent feelings for another, it overwhelmed the older. Such things were possible after all. “Chenle-ah, how is it to be in love?”

Chenle didn’t answer straight away, even though he already knew what to say. Instead, he slowly turned to look at Jaemin, his eyes were curious, intently observing him, searching his eyes for a concrete reason as to where the sudden probe came from. Jaemin wasn’t sure what he saw in him when the younger opened his mouth and answered:

“Scary, but wonderful. Scary in a sense cause I get paranoid about a lot of things. I can’t help but worry and get anxious about him, myself, and the future. I end up asking vague questions like ‘Will we be together until we get old?’ ‘What if he finds a better man?’ ‘Does he still like me?’ The longing is agonizing. My mom told me once to break up with him since I couldn’t cope with us being apart at first. I get a lot more insecure towards those people around him. How can I not when he’s so amazing? I get jealous so easily,” Chenle smiled bitterly before he heaved a deep sigh, voice lacing with bits of quiet sadness and melancholy. Jaemin almost pitied him.

“But you know what’s wonderful hyung?” he paused to look at Jaemin. Seeing intense emotions reflecting on the younger’s honey hued orbs when he regarded him, the older was at a loss for words. “It’s always wonderful whenever he calls late at night although he’s tired from school, how he jokes around through the other line, telling me how his day is, how much he misses me, how beautiful I am although he hasn’t seen my face in months. And especially when we finally meet again and he immediately embraces me, how he smiles at me like I’m the most important person in his life. It’s… It’s just amazing.”

Jaemin could do nothing but stare at the younger, his tone dropped a few octaves lower as he talked about his boyfriend and it was appealing. To hear the younger say such raw yet sweet words as he spoke of the other, particularly the yearning evident on his facial expression and voice, lulled Jaemin to believe on the younger’s adoration for his lover was beyond an act and he basked in the moment. Amazed.

Ahh, he’s grown more matured now.

And they fell into a comfortable silence almost instantly when the younger was done, as Jaemin was unsure how to add anything more after that rather personal topic. However, Chenle seemed unfazed as he pestered Jaemin on answering his previous question about meeting Jeno. “C’mon hyung, tell me. How was it?”

“Huh? Ummm, it was cool?” was his answer but the other seemed dissatisfied, demanding him to elaborate further. “But don’t ever dare tell anyone of this, okay?” he asked then bit his lower lip nervously, not wanting other people to know besides the younger what he’ll say if ever.

“Of course! It will only between me and you hyung, I promise!”

Jaemin was hesitant at first, unsure of how to convey such feelings and thoughts into words that the younger would easily understand without thinking that Jaemin has gone insane, struggling to form a coherent sentence.

But as he started speaking after gathering bits and pieces of confidence, he couldn’t stop; words rolled off his tongue naturally as he spoke about Jeno. “Rather than meeting him, getting to know him was the challenge,” he said truthfully. They haven’t been friends for so long, having just met a couple of weeks before, but as the days pass by that they’re together and he got to know who Jeno was, Jaemin can’t help but be left in awe whenever it concerned the older. Jeno was like an ancient riddle— as cheesy as it sounds— mysterious yet so tempting to be solved.

“There are times when I don’t know what he’s thinking of, the way he does things. Heck, even the way he smiles makes me confused! He’s very unreadable,” he sighed in frustration. Jeno was certainly unpredictable, beyond the norm that Jaemin was used to. Jaemin wasn’t sure if it was because of his curiosity that urged him to befriend the other, but Jeno was definitely something else; something intriguing. “I want to know more about him. The meaning behind his stares, that mysterious air he has around him. It may seem so puzzling to you but,” he paused then looked at Chenle, afraid to say what his head is screaming at him to admit, afraid to acknowledge that he had certain feelings for the older, but the younger gave him an encouraging nod, commending him to finish his statement.

“But it always makes my heart hammer against my chest.”

Jaemin was mortified about voicing out such thoughts into words but the younger only smiled upon seeing the expression on the former’s face, it was like as if he knew already and wasn’t going to ask anymore.

“They’re here,” said Chenle suddenly when three approaching figures caught his attention, jerking his head towards their direction.

Jaemin turned to where the younger was staring at and saw Mark, Donghyuck and Jeno together; chatting amongst themselves as they paced towards them, from the looks of it they haven’t noticed the both of them yet and continued talking.

There was nothing special, really, they were all wearing casual clothes since it was a Sunday and they wanted to be comfortable so that they could enjoy their trip to the amusement park. But amongst the three, Jaemin wasn’t definite why he stared at Jeno the longest, why his pulse quickened at the sight of the older in a plain black shirt, tight fitting acid washed jeans, and a pair of black converse. When Jeno met his eyes momentarily when he turned and caught a glimpse of Jaemin, the older grinned at him; his eyes were smiling too, crinkled into crescent moons that hid his dazzling hazelnut orbs that Jaemin has grown fond of lately. His heartbeat fastened and he flushed crimson red.

He timidly returned the same kind of smile Jeno gave, but it was more of a shy one, more nervous and less confident than usual.

“You’re blushing, hyung,” Chenle teased when his peripheral vision caught him r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter