Different

Unsteady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7: Different 

"The Month of June" -McKay (covered by Jihan)

I wanna look at the night ocean with you
I wanna quietly kiss you on your forehead
It’ll feel like the stars shooting
If I’m with you, I feel like I have wings

Oh baby, I wanna tell you, hey, you’re the prettiest right now
It’s only us in the world, June, you and I, remember today
With you, the romantic month of June, the stars pass over us

Every time you smile, every time you wrinkle your nose
It’s amazing, it feels strange
Is this how being in love feels like?
Everything in the world moves me


A/N: I just updated, so if you haven't read Chapter 6, READ IT FIRST. Black is present, purple is past. This chapter starts out with a bunch of meanie and then finishes up the Jihan story and then some other stuff at the end. 


The next few days with Mingyu were fairly uneventful for Wonwoo. It seemed that he really had adapted to the young intern and his crazy antics. While a month ago Wonwoo would have dreaded any visitors and abruptly avoided them at all cost, now he accepted and possibly looked forward to (although he'd never admit that aloud) his three daily visits.

In the past month, Mingyu came every morning and every afternoon. During the past two weeks, Jihoon came everyday around lunchtime. Of course, if Wonwoo could have them out of his life, he would still expel them immediately. The problem was that the more he liked them, the more he wanted them out of his life, and the more he wanted them in his life. It was incredibly confusing. He was dying and he didn't want to bring anyone down still, but it was even more than that now. He was beginning to not want to die so much anymore, but that wasn't really something he could think about anymore.

Another thing that had changed in the past month that Mingyu had been in his life, was Wonwoo's relationship with his mother. Wonwoo had never been able to make himself push her out of his life completely. He would never and could never do that, but he had tried his best to distance her from the disaster that was his cancer. Yet, recently he couldn't even do that. Rather than shutting her out or pushing her away during her visits, he found himself very slowly letting her in. He found himself feeling like a confused kid again who just needed a hug from his mom.

The more the realization of the small changes in his attitude dawned on Wonwoo, the more he hated Mingyu for it. How had the younger made him so weak? So much so that he was doing the one thing he swore never to do, let people in. A month ago, he may have been a mean dying depressed lonely cancer patient, but if he had died a month ago, there would have been minimal mourning. Did Mingyu not realize how many people could get hurt by his "devious" tactics?

Wonwoo just wished he knew exactly what those were. He just found himself more and more confused whenever he tried to figure out Mingyu. What was his endgame, his motivation? At times, it seemed like there was too many possible reasons for Mingyu's unrelentless perseverance with Wonwoo's case. Most of the time though, Wonwoo had no idea why the younger was so set on helping Wonwoo, on hoping. It seemed as though, more than any monetary or academic benefit, he genuinely wanted to get to know Wonwoo. And that confused and terrified Wonwoo more than any other possibility.

It had been a week since the last "support group" meeting that had randomly commenced in Wonwoo's own room, and he knew that was where he would be tonight. Although Wonwoo actually kind of wanted to go, and again Wonwoo wouldn't admit this to any other person, the other boys had told Wonwoo they would be holding him captive in his room again for this week as well. It was actually quite comical because Wonwoo was pretty sure they also knew he would have gone anyways. Wonwoo was sure they knew Wonwoo loved to read from Mingyu, specifically read suspenseful romances, and Jisoo and Jeonghan's love story seemed to be one of the best he'd heard in a while.

Mingyu would be arriving any minute now. As previously mentioned, Wonwoo hated Mingyu right now, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything to him. He actually liked talking to the younger, when he wasn't trying to embarrass him or saying things that totally didn't make sense. Plus, it genuinely hurt Wonwoo when he hurt Mingyu, and normally he could justify it to himself saying that minor hurt now would be fine compared to the major hurt someone would feel later if they were to get close to him, but that tactic didn't work with Mingyu.

Just as he was zoning off with again trying to do the impossible and figure out Mingyu, the intern burst through the door. Wonwoo didn't understand why he seemed to be in such a hurry, being as Mingyu was actually earlier than he usually was for his afternoon sessions, but the intern definitely seemed to be rushing. He had run in huffing and puffing and then run over to Wonwoo's bed excitedly.

The interns normally dark calm hair was put up in the way Mingyu sometimes wore it to school, but Wonwoo hadn't seen it like this much recently due to Mingyu showering after volleyball practice. Wonwoo noticed how different Mingyu looked this way. His already darker skin had grown to a nice golden tan from the beach volleyball and his dark hair had gained light sun streaks throughout it. He also had subtle makeup on. Although it was subtle, it still managed to just push Mingyu's already very attractive appearance in your face. It did something to Wonwoo. Probably just jealousy, for Mingyu's clearly blessed looks.

Wonwoo must have been really staring at Mingyu because the intern suddenly burst out in laughter, causing Wonwoo to snap out of his trance. "Are you okay?" Mingyu said knowingly with his signature smirk.

Wonwoo blushed and scowled, "I was just thinking about how you stink. Did you run here?"

Mingyu laughed, "I just had to carry some stuff into your room and he elevator was really backed up so I had to take the stairs." And then Wonwoo noticed it. Mingyu's casually clothing and appearance had distracted him from the fact that Mingyu had brought in with him dozens of balloons, flowers, pictures and other treats.

Before any other emotion, Wonwoo was confused. "W-What is all this?" And then he scowled, "Mingyu, you know how I feel about this bubbly happy stuff or any stuff frankly in my room."

Mingyu smiled bashfully and rubbed his neck with a shrug, "I guess I went a bit overboard" he spoke slowly as he started setting the stuff up throughout the room, "It's just, we've been together a month now and I really think this patient intern thing is working out really well" Wonwoo rolled his eyes and Mingyu laughed, "Okay I'm kidding about most of that part, it's just that you get your really big scans back.... tomorrow. And I really want you to be in a good mood for it no matter what the results are. So that's where the flowers and balloons came from, and the giant 8 foot teddy bear...." he blushed and grabbed the said bear from the hallway, shoving it though the door and putting it in the corner.

"Ha, and as for he pictures... well your room is sad and boring so I printed off some pictures and framed them for your room. Most of them are just stupid selfies that we've taken, or that one picture Jihoon took while Jeonghan was telling the story last week, but I found some off your old friends instagram and framed them too. I don't know if you want me to put them up or not, but I'd be stupid to think I'm your only friend, or whatever I am if I'm not yet to friend status yet." Mingyu laughed nervously and took a deep breath. He probably needed one, considering how much he said in such a short amount of time. He tends to talk fast whenever he's anxious, that was one thing Wonwoo had figured out about the boy.

Wonwoo didn't know what to think. He wanted to yell at Mingyu to stop, to let him be depressed, to let him die. He wanted to scream and cry and-"Thank you." And anything but say thank you. Wonwoo had no control over his mouth at this point, he really had become weak. He just could no longer hurt the boy, not after all this effort he put forward and how obviously nervous he was to see Wonwoo's reaction, "I don't want the pictures of my old friends, but I guess you can leave the rest up."

Mingyu smiled and Wonwoo could see the tension slip out of his shoulders. He immediately ran over to Wonwoo's bed and took his newly discovered seat next to Wonwoo in bed. "I'm so glad you liked it! I thought you were going to kill me!" He then laughed and hugged Wonwoo around the waist.

Wonwoo laughed and shrugged him off, "Well I thought about it and if you don't start getting a sense of personal space I will off you. But really, don't get your hopes up, I'm still depressed and . I did this purely for you." Mingyu's face lit up so Wonwoo blushed and tried desperately to back track, "God, not like that. I just didn't want to have to put up with your annoying crying if I told you to take it all down."

Mingyu laughed, "Whatever you say Wonwoo." Wonwoo's gaze landed on one of the pictures of him and his former best friend that Mingyu had yet to put away before attacking Wonwoo. His gaze must have lingered a bit too long because Mingyu's expression immediately soured, "Wonwoo... at school.... it's so hard.... They just, they miss you and they talk about it a lot. And it's it's really hard for me to just sit back and watch that. I know you miss them. Wouldn't you-"

Wonwoo's face turned to stone again, "This isn't up for discussion Mingyu. I care about them. That's why I'm doing this."

The remaining time before support group was slightly tense and awkward. Mingyu knew he'd already pushed too far and so he just let Wonwoo read quietly and then take a short nap.

At 4:50, he woke Wonwoo up. "I thought you'd probably appreciate me waking you up before everyone got here this time." He laughed and then pushed Wonwoo over, so that he could resume his recumbent position next to Wonwoo.

The boys from the support group arrived one by one. Each person looking around the room and looking like they were about to comment on it's changing appearance, before Mingyu would shut them up either by interrupting their comments or just sending a look. Jihoon was actually the last to arrive of the bunch. He simply looked back and forth between the bright colorful room and the two boys lying next to each other on the bed, before simply raising his eyebrows and shaking his head warningly at Mingyu and then nodding suspiciously at Wonwoo.

Once all the boys arrived, Jeonghan and Jisoo immediately got everyone together to begin story telling again, a movement greatly appreciated by Wonwoo so that the attention was no longer on him and his intern.

"So" Jisoo began, "Where were we?"

Jeonghan laughed, "You were just confessing your love to me."

"Right. So we were with my parents in the hospital room and they looked pissed, but I knew how to do this."

 

<><><><><><><><>


"I'm gay. I'm in love with Jeonghan, I'm in love with my intern." Jisoo swore that his heart had never beat this fast before. In his current condition, this level of stress was probably extremely dangerous for him but he couldn't hold it in a second longer. He couldn't have his parents insult Jeonghan anymore. He couldn't have Jeonghan not knowing anymore.

"I'm gay and there is nothing you can do about it. But guess what, you don't need to do anything. Even better than sending me away to a camp so no one would find out, I'm dying from cancer thousands of miles away from you. I know deep down you love me, you'll keep paying my medical bills these next few months, but you don't have to talk to me. I'm not alone anymore." He squeezed Jeonghan's hand and looked again towards where he knew Jeonghan was. Even though he couldn't see, looking to where he knew the other was was enough for him.

"But.... but Jisoo, this is not how we raised you. This is not how God created you. This has misled you. You are just a sinn-"

"Look, I've already talked to God about this a lot. All I've done since I got to Korea was pray and Jeonghan was at least 90% of what my prayers were full of. I'm still alive and he's still by my side. He is the only person that makes this hell called cancer worth it. He makes me happy in the purest way. That is love. That can't be a sin."

"Jisoo Hong. You will not talk to your mother like that. And you, you homo who has brainwashed my son." Jisoo heard his dad jump forward towards where he knew Jeonghan was standing and Jisoo gulped. It was almost over. He was almost done with them. He has almost broken the chains that were holding him back from the love he wanted. He'd be stupid not to, even if he and Jeonghan couldn't really be together.

"Get out." He heard no movement. "Mother, father. Get out. All you've done is insult me and the one I love, so get out." Finally he heard shuffling and the slamming of the door that made him flinch, "Are, are they gone now?"

"Yes..." He heard the hesitation and fear and Jeonghan's voice and it hurt him. He wished that he hadn't put this off for so long, there was just so much holding him back, so much confusion. But he knew without a doubt he had fallen in love with the young brave and ambitious intern. The way that Jeonghan cared for his cousin when everyone else gave up on him and the way he carried himself and put othe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter