Stick Around

Unsteady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 22: Stick Around (2686 words)

Stick Around – Lukas Graham

 

“I'm sorry to say that the smiles that I give you
One day will be tears in your eyes
I'm sorry to give you these memories
'Cause memories like this will one day make you cry
But I'ma stick around
I promise you that I will stick around for now

And right now, my light is shining
Though one day that too will go out
But for now
I'm gonna stick around”

 

 

 

“Because I love you Wonwoo. And there’s nothing you or I can do about that.”

 

Wonwoo’s heart lurched at the sudden confession. He gulped unsure of what to respond as the boy gripped on to his hand. Tears falling slowly on his hand. Mingyu’s face was inches from his, forehead hot against Wonwoo’s. Wonwoo felt Mingyu move slightly in response to Wonwoo’s lack thereof.

 

Mingyu’s forehead lifted up from where it was rested on Wonwoo’s forehead, drawing back to take in Wonwoo’s features. Wonwoo eyes squinted, the pain filling his lungs nothing in comparison to the aching of his heart. Mingyu lifted his hands from Wonwoo’s and for a moment Wonwoo wanted to reach out, scared that Mingyu really might leave. Then Mingyu rose a hand up to Wonwoo’s face, reaching forward and wiping the tear away from his face. His hand slipped to the side of Wonwoo’s face, caressing him with a thumb behind his ear. Wonwoo flinched but then relaxed slightly leaning into the warm hand.

 

“I love you.” The boy repeated again, as if he was scared Wonwoo hadn’t heard it or perhaps that Wonwoo never would. He tilted his head slightly, leaning in and capturing Wonwoo’s lips with his. Wonwoo’s eyes widened in surprise and then flittered shut, unable to fight his body and what it yearned. The kiss was slow and sweet. Mingyu’s lips tasted salty against his, Wonwoo reached up, his hand balling into Mingyu’s shirt as Mingyu deepened the kiss slightly. The fabric of Mingyu’s shirt was moist from the tears, but Wonwoo barely noticed a thing fully immersed in the kiss. He pulled on the shirt, as if asking for Mingyu to come closer. He felt Mingyu’s lips quirk up slightly against his.

 

Mingyu pulled back, cheeky smile taking over his face. He raised his hand up, raking hand through Wonwoo’s hair. “Tell me you’ll try to fight.”

 

Wonwoo wasn’t sure what to think. His mind was so dizzy. He couldn’t tell if it was from the lack of oxygen or the airy light feeling that came from kissing Mingyu. He nodded slowly. He coughed, the pain from his lungs bursting through his dog and he felt Mingyu’s hand connect with his again. “Is this a dream or something?” Wonwoo mumbled, voice still hoarse.

 

Mingyu’s teeth flashed as he smirked at Wonwoo, “Do you dream about me often Wonwoo?” He quirked an eyebrow, leaning his arm against the hospital bed.

 

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, pushing his body up slightly on the bed so he could sit up. His ears grew pink as he looked away from the boy. “No. I just didn’t think you’d do something so insane in real life.” He sighed, hitting the boy and glaring at him.

 

Mingyu smiled again, “Oh something like this?” He leaned forward and Wonwoo opened his mouth to protest but Mingyu stopped that from happening, lips meeting squarely with Wonwoo’s. Wonwoo couldn’t find it in himself to argue against it. He liked it too much.

“Well, I missed something.” Wonwoo’s veins turned to ice at the sound of the awkward cough. Mingyu jumped up, lips disconnecting from Wonwoo’s at the voice. The boys looked at the ground, Wonwoo’s entire face pink. Mingyu was even blushing at this point, the rush of blood dancing up his ears.

 

“You all care to tell me what is going on here?” Wonwoo looked up to see Jihoon. His little face was slightly terrifying, twisted up in a mix of anger and shock. Wonwoo winced, looking up to Mingyu and then both boys looking back to Jihoon.

 

“Um… I’m dying.”

 

“I love Wonwoo.”

 

The boys said at the same time. Wonwoo’s head whipped around as his eyes met Mingyu’s. His eyebrows tilted down, lips pursing up as he glared at the boy. Mingyu glared right on back.

 

“He isn’t serious.” They said in unison again. Jihoon cocked a smile, look warily between the two boys.

 

“So Wonwoo’s cancer is back. I’m guessing he had a mental breakdown by the looks of this room.” Jihoon looked around referencing the disaster, the broken vase and pictures, the torn up bear and glass. Wonwoo smiled awkwardly, looking away. “So then lover boy comes in and saves the day, confesses and now yall are making out?”

 

Mingyu smiled proudly, “We are in love now.”

 

“That is not true.” Wonwoo squeaked.

 

Jihoon looked between the two boys again. “Well you all have some to work out…” His mouth twisted as he narrowed his eyes at the boys. “Whatever it is, you all better clean this crap up. Seungcheol is on his way.” Wonwoo’s mouth fell to a small little o.

 

He tried to jump up from the bed but Mingyu pushed him back down. “Oh no, where do you think you are going Won? You are not leaving this bed.” Wonwoo’s lip jutted forward. “Fight me on this and I’ll kiss you again.” Wonwoo shook his head quickly, sliding back under the covers.

 

Jihoon scoffed, “I’m leaving.”

 

Mingyu began picking up the pieces of glass and flowers off the floor, putting the pictures in a pile on the table and discarding the destroyed frames in a wastebasket. Wonwoo felt his eyes grow heavy, as he watched the boy. His mind was too foggy, too oxygen deprived to really contemplate what had gone on here. His eyes closed slowly.

 

“Look I know you don’t like me, but I’m not going to lie to you, it’s bad.” Wonwoo shifted in his bed as the muffled words stirred him from his sleep.

 

“How bad Kim?” Wonwoo’s eyes fluttered open as he heard the voice of Seungcheol.

“Right now, they are saying a few weeks, most likely, unless we find him a donor.” Wonwoo’s eyes closed again. This was the part he hated. He didn’t want to be involved in this part. The room went quiet.

 

“Oh my god. He might actually die.” Wonwoo felt his heart twist as Seungcheol’s sobs filled the air around him. This was exactly what he didn’t want to happen. “I guess it never really hit me, that a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter