Pushing Boundaries

Unsteady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6: Pushing Boundaries

"How Nice it Would Be"- Lunafly (Covered by Jihan ;)

My clumsy words
Are proof that I like you
Do I look nervous right now?
Then will you hold my hand?

I wanna fly away (I wanna be with you)
And I’m dreaming again (I wanna be with you)
You were always in my imagination
I always met you in my dreams
And you’re walking with me on this street

A/N: Purple text is flashback 


    Any teacher, police officer or any other authority figure can tell you that problem with allowing one person to break one rule one time. It's a problem, it cannot happen, because that one person or one time will multiply. Which would henceforth explain why Wonwoo had such a large group of people currently in his room, laughing and talking amongst one another when he woke up. He just broke one or two rules. He just let Mingyu and Jihoon in a tiny bit. This is why he's not nice. 

    Attempting to be quiet and not be directly noticed, he slowly sat up in his bed. Of course, all his trials were in vain where Kim Mingyu was concerned. The tall male abruptly came to Wonwoo's side. He wasn't wearing his normal scrubs and Doctor coat combo. Rather, he, like the rest of the boys, was wearing normal clothes. Well, normal for Mingyu. He was wearing simple ripped skinny jeans with a white T-shirt and a leather jacket. His hair was pushed back and he had an easy smile on his face, rather than his slightly crazed huge one. He looked like a high schooler for once. He looked like the Mingyu Wonwoo "knew" in school, a Mingyu from a different world. It made Wonwoo feel nostalgic, and another feeling he couldn't afford to dwell on. 

    Wonwoo rubbed his eyes and warily glanced over at Mingyu, "Why the hell are there this many people in my room..." It was as if Wonwoo's small hushed whisper had been broadcast over a loud speaker. The entire room grew quiet and every head turned towards Wonwoo and Mingyu, who was now leaning on Wonwoo's bed. 

    Jisoo and Jeonghan were sitting together in the jumbo recliner chair that Wonwoo's mother would sometimes sleep on in the corner of the room. The other 3 boys, Seungkwan, Jihoon, and Minghao were all sitting in their wheelchairs throughout the room. The blinds were open. 

    Jisoo got up from sitting on the arm of the chair, "Sorry for the intrusion Wonwoo.... We um heard that um"

    "We heard you wanted to hear our love story!" Jeonghan interrupted with a laugh. Wonwoo eyes immediately looked to Jihoon who was sitting away from everyone else on the left side of the room. He looked a little bit guilty. 

    He shrugged, "It may have slipped..." Wonwoo was ready to tell them all to get out, but everyone in the room seemed to be looking at him with these obnoxious puppy dog eyes. 

    "Ugh, fine. Get on with it." Wonwoo huffed. 

    "It's not like we were leaving anyways!!" Wonwoo rolled his eyes at the excited Seungkwan. The young boy was definitely too much for him to handle. Wonwoo glanced over at Mingyu, who was smiling at him as if Wonwoo had just promised him the world. This was going to be a long long day. 

    "It was back when I was just a first-year intern...." 

    It hadn't been an easy day per say... Jeonghan was struggling through his junior year in college, getting his pre-med degree. On top of that, the intern program that he had dreamed about this summer was becoming his own personal hell. The other interns treated him like due to his appearance and the fact that his father was one of the most prominent heart surgeons in this country. So what if Jeonghan was "pretty. So what if he was gay... His fellow interns didn't see his situation in the same light. They wouldn't rest until the day he exited the program, but he'd never do it. 

    His patient had been the light of his life. She was a young girl with cystic fibrosis. He had been rather disappointed at first because he was one of the only interns assigned to a non-cancerous patient, and he wanted to go into oncology. He knew he'd get over his misplacement as soon as he met the little girl. She had been the best part of his day, and now she was gone. When he had arrived for his shift at the hospital yesterday, his father had pulled him aside and told him the bad news. Her lungs had failed her, but she went quickly.

    It was terribly hard. He knew death would be part of his job, but that didn't make his first loss easier. He had no one to run to. He had just moved here, and he had no friends in the program or at college. He spent most of his free time trying to deal with his drug addict cousin. He had to get himself together. He had to work hard, prove the rest of the dumb idiots in the program wrong and not get attached to his next patient. He had to be the strong one, track Mingyu's phone and drag him out of whatever party he's at. 

    So, as he entered the hospital the next morning, he was ready. And then he got his new patient's chart. And his heart dropped. Maybe he really was destined to have every patient die on him. Maybe the intern's chief hated him as the rest of his coworkers did. Why else would he be given such a dead-end patient? His new patient, Hong Jisoo, was from America and had a very large, inoperable, brain tumor. Not only was he blind, but he also didn't speak great Korean. At least he was given a cancer patient this time. He definitely wouldn't get attached to this one. He probably wouldn't last long enough for him to get attached to anyways. 

    He was still reading through his new patient's long list of previous treatments and procedures as he walked into his room. A couple of the other interns were in there. They had offered to help move him in, since he was a long-term stay patient and he had brought several items with him from America.  

    "Hello? Did someone else come in?" Jeonghan finally looked up from his clipboard and almost dropped his clipboard at the sight of the very very handsome man in the hospital bed. His appearance matched his gentle voice. He had very short (presumably on a break from chemo), loosely styled auburn hair. His eyes, although lost, empty and obviously sightless, were still the warmest chocolate brown Jeonghan had ever seen. He had a sharp jawline that contrasted his soft features in the best way. Although he was skin-and-bone and obviously sickly, everything thing about him screamed warmness and kindness. He was Jeonghan's ideal type, and that alone almost made Jeonghan cry. He was terminal. 

    "Hi..." Jeonghan said shakily, "I'm your new intern." He walked over to the side of the bed and shakily placed his hand on Jisoo's, as he'd been trained to do with blind patients. Jisoo smiled at this act and eagerly took Jeonghan's hand in his own. 

    "May I feel you?" Jisoo laughed freely, and it was music to Jeonghan's ears, "It sounds weird, but it allows me to see people. Or at least get a picture." Jeonghan just nodded, enamored by the smile that had placed itself on Jisoo's face. Jeonghan's anticipation grew as Jisoo lifted his hand slowly towards Jeonghan's face. 

    This is supposed to feel uncomfortable. That's what he had been taught. This was a common coping mechanism for those who were blind, especially in the case of temporary blindness. It was often awkward or strange for the seeing person, but it greatly helped the blind person. This wasn't uncomfortable, awkward or strange. 

    Jisoo's graceful hands cupped Jeonghan's face and ran themselves down the sides of his face and through his hair. He lifted his fingertips and swept gently across all of Jeonghan's face. He took his index fingers across Jeonghan's eyes and his nose. He thumbed across Jeonghan's lips in a slow, but bashful manner. 

    It was intimate and personal. Jeonghan felt like he was melting at the other boy's touch. This wasn't his plan. This boy was going to die; he couldn't fall for him. Yet, as he looked at the way Jisoo "looked" at him. Painting Jeonghan's picture in his mind, without even seeing him. He looked like he was admiring the most beautiful treasure he'd ever seen. And his subtle changes in expression as he admired Jeonghan made Jeonghan feel like treasure. 

    Jisoo smiled and sat his hands back down into his lap. Jeonghan inhaled a shaky breath, feeling like he hadn't done so in a very long time. "I can tell you're very beautiful. These other guys must chase you down constantly." Jisoo laughed his beautiful laugh again. Other than that, the room was silent. The three other male interns turned towards Jeonghan and Jisoo with mocking faces. 

    Jeonghan was blushing, for multiple reasons, the compliment and the confusion. One of the other college aged boys was the first to speak up, just as the silence was long enough for Jisoo to bestow a confused expression. "Oh, I get it! You seem to be taken with our J- our Han?" Jeonghan's blush grew, as well as his anxiety as he realized where the guy was heading with this. A frown began to grace itself on Jisoo's face.

    Jisoo blushed and rather than butterfly's, Jeonghan felt pure fear as he could only prepare himself for what he knew Jisoo was about to say, "Oh yes, she's quite lovely. Jeonghan cringed at the word, and then he noticed it. The cross necklace on Jisoo's neck, the bible on his bedside, the Christian music playing from the stereo. Jisoo was flirting with him, but Jisoo was definitely straight. Jisoo thought he was a girl. 

 

 

 

    Wonwoo stuttered and knew he just had to interrupt, "How the hell did you think Jeonghan was a girl?" Jisoo cringed and blushed. 

    He smiled guiltily and shrugged, "I was blind... and not used to Korean I guess. I couldn't really differentiate between girl and guy voices when people were speaking Korean. When I felt him, it just confirmed my original thought with his long hair and delicate features. I also knew that he was the one for me back then, but I didn't know I was into "he's" yet. It was like the most extreme confusion." Jeonghan smiled grudgingly at Jisoo and ruffled his hair. 

    "So tell him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter